Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lately I've noticed a fizzing sound down by the front / lower left corner (as you stand and look at the car from the front) which starts about 20 seconds after turning off the engine and lasts for about 10 to 20 seconds.

At first I thought it was just one of those 'cooling down' noises. But then I noticed that the coolant level had fallen. Could this be the sign of coolant leak? If it is, it must be tiny because you never get to see any damp anywhere. And the fizzing doesn't last long enough to locate the source. I can't see any damp anywhere, but if a leak was small I guess it would evaporate immediately anyway due to the temperature.

If the fizzing did turn out to be normal, I'd still wonder about that drop in the coolant level. Surely this should remain steady? I only have 2000 miles on my car.

How easy would it be for the dealer to check the cooling system for a leak under these circumstances?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Reading Topic: Coolant leak...

The coolant level will change based on it's temperature. That's why you have an overflow container on the passenger side of the car. When coolant is hot, it expands. As the car cools, the coolant will "shrink" and return to the radiator. If you look at the overflow reservior, there should be a line for "hot" and "cold". As long as you're in that range, you shold be fine.

I'm not sure how fast the change happens, but if you don't have a puddle under your car, you don't have a coolant leak.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Coolant leak...'

Just one other thing to check, I used to have a fizzing sound when I turned off my Jeep, and it was the condensation on a tube in the engine that dripped onto the block itself, therefore making a fizzing sound. I seriously doubt this is what you hear, but just thought I'd throw that out there for you to keep in mind. The coolant level is what makes me think that this has nothing to do with what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by MAKnight71

Also, the cats on some brand new cars sometimes fizz, crackle and pop for a few thousand miles.[/b]
What, no "snap"? :D

·
Registered
73 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

Originally posted by MAKnight71

Also, the cats on some brand new cars sometimes fizz, crackle and pop for a few thousand miles.[/b]
What, no "snap"? :D

[/b][/quote]

:p

Actually, it sounds more like a buzzing on my M6 - almost sounds like a small DC motor running under the car. At first I thought it was the fan motor continuing to run until I payed it some more attention and realized it was the CAT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts