Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What could have caused that, I wonder? We now have two cases, one from you and one from the link posted.
I'm guessing just a casting defect for that run. I think I have a late 2014 and the two in the link were both 2015's.
I would think the mostly cause would be overheating/lack of oiling. It’s rare to see on the 3rd gens especially 14-16 models but on the newer models 17- the heads do have a manufacturing defect in some instances where a crack will form by the #2 and 3 exhaust ports. This would be the first case I’ve seen of an early model but we actually had a 6 come in that blew a hole straight through the block. The 6 was a 15 with about 150k I believe and the guy who drove it didn’t really take care of it.
I'm more inclined to think it's a manufacturing defect because of the Reddit post I found. Same exact crack as mine, on 2 other cars.

·
Registered
2016 6
457 Posts
I'm guessing just a casting defect for that run. I think I have a late 2014 and the two in the link were both 2015's.

I'm more inclined to think it's a manufacturing defect because of the Reddit post I found. Same exact crack as mine, on 2 other cars.
Even so if it was a major factory defect getting 160k out of its still pretty good lol.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I would think the mostly cause would be overheating/lack of oiling. It’s rare to see on the 3rd gens especially 14-16 models but on the newer models 17- the heads do have a manufacturing defect in some instances where a crack will form by the #2 and 3 exhaust ports. This would be the first case I’ve seen of an early model but we actually had a 6 come in that blew a hole straight through the block. The 6 was a 15 with about 150k I believe and the guy who drove it didn’t really take care of it.
Good info. Thx.

·
Registered
2016 6
457 Posts
Patient first got me all fixed up. I'll have a bbq grill scar for a bit but no big deal!

Sidenote, any tips for getting the water pump pulley back on with the belt?
Just install the pulley first and then as long as the crank pulley is on and you can turn the engine over you can put the belt on. Just twist the belt with your fingers or by wrapping a rag around and pulling towards the engine while also turning the engine over by hand. I usually wrap the belt and sets it on the crank pulley then wrap it around the “hump” on the water pump pulley. Then I do what I said above lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just install the pulley first and then as long as the crank pulley is on and you can turn the engine over you can put the belt on. Just twist the belt with your fingers or by wrapping a rag around and pulling towards the engine while also turning the engine over by hand. I usually wrap the belt and sets it on the crank pulley then wrap it around the “hump” on the water pump pulley. Then I do what I said above lol.
I'll give that a shot when I work on it again tomorrow, thanks!

Compression is good with the new head and gasket so I don't think I fucked up putting everything back together. Should be ready to start with a couple hours of work!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts