Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. Wanting to get feedback on DIY coolant flush vs coolant replacement for a 3rd gen (2015) Mazda 5. My understanding is that for a coolant flush one drains the coolant and runs distilled water until it’s all out. One then adds concentrate until the balance is about 50/50. A coolant replacement is a simple drain and replace. For regular maintenance is coolant replacement sufficient every couple of years? A legitimate coolant flush seems to be more time intensive and requires concentrate, which I cannot find on any of the Mazda parts stores. For replacement, I can just drain and replace with pre-mix (55/45) FL22 Mazda brand coolant. What would you all suggest for regular maintenance on a daily driver?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Just replace it, assuming there is nothing other than the OE coolant in there. That's what I did and what came out was visually fine -- no debris, corrosion or similar. Now if you drain it and its dirty then the game changes, but if nobody has screwed with it since new I bet its perfectly ok and a drain-and-fill will be fine. You will only get about 2/3rds or so of it out with a drain, which is ok.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thanks! That is correct. No one other than dealer has touched the coolant since I bought the car. I'll do a drain and fill. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
208 Posts
In addition to the radiator drain plug, do our cars have a coolant drain plug on the engine block? If you can get that off too, a drain and re-fill should be just fine.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
If you want a second (low) drain point the water pump is down low and on the passenger side. Pulling that hose will do what you want. I don't think its worth it for a routine change-out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts