Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin here in the Jegs catalogue and see Water Wetter additive and the Royal Puple one. Can we use these in our cars? I'm pretty sure we can since it says works with Dex-Cool. Also, it work well?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have always read that a 60/40 coolant/water blend is best based on highest boiling and lowest freezing points.

Is that a myth?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
im using a 75/25 mix. 75-water and 25-dex cool and 1 full bottle of water wetter
[/b]
Do you run that in cold weather?

My personal plan is to run a 70:30 mix from May-September with an additive (Hopefully twowheelin's fan mod when its out too!), and re-introduce the coolant to concentrate it to a mix of 50:50 for the colder weather. I don't want to take any chances of the coolant lines freezing with all that water in there. It dissipates heat great, but doesn't have all that low of a freezing point. Its a pain, but hopefully I'll notice enough difference to justify it, if not I just won't do it again.

Forgot to mention I'm running a 160 degree thermostat as well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
no i live in chicago so the winters get pretty cold here. i actually plan on having this set up from march until late october and then moving back to the 50/50 for the winter. i dont want to risk anything but the set up right now works great!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That is the nice thing about being in san diego, same weather year round
[/b]
La di da, and you get to have Summer Tires as your all seasons, good for you :nana: . So I'm a bit on the jealous side, until I see the cost of living.

·
Registered
815 Posts
ive seen flushes go for about 90-100 bucks. if any of you guys lived around my area i would let you bring it to my school one day and i can do the flush for you in the auto shop

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
ive seen flushes go for about 90-100 bucks. if any of you guys lived around my area i would let you bring it to my school one day and i can do the flush for you in the auto shop
[/b]
dealer quoted me $39 for a radiator flush. i'll do it this week and throw some water wetter in there.

my goal is to have a 24k tranny cooler, water wetter, 160 degree thermostat, and twowheelin's aux fan controller going before summer really sets in. then i'd be content on moving to the next set of modifications. i might do a dyno in June for shits and giggles too, and to also see how my A/F ratio is with high humidity.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a massive difference between a radiator flush, and a Coolant System flush. The coolant system flush is reccommended every 2 years, it involves removing all of the coolant from the entire system and replacing it. The Radiator flush simply removes the little bit of coolant that remains in the radiator, and leaves all of the old coolant in the system. There is a how to on 6tech to give you an idea, I'll see if I can find the link.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1288.html there it is

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a massive difference between a radiator flush, and a Coolant System flush. The coolant system flush is reccommended every 2 years, it involves removing all of the coolant from the entire system and replacing it. The Radiator flush simply removes the little bit of coolant that remains in the radiator, and leaves all of the old coolant in the system. There is a how to on 6tech to give you an idea, I'll see if I can find the link.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1288.html there it is
[/b]
well im getting my radiator flush today at 1pm and i have a bottle of water wetter sitting right here too. so by all accounts the radiator flush is useless for what im trying to do? i need the entire coolant system flushed to make this effective?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
well im getting my radiator flush today at 1pm and i have a bottle of water wetter sitting right here too. so by all accounts the radiator flush is useless for what im trying to do? i need the entire coolant system flushed to make this effective?
[/b]
This is from the 6tech article.

INFO: When you drained your radiator, you only removed the old coolant that was sitting in your radiator. You didn't touch the majority of the old coolant, which was located elsewhere in your cooling system. When you refilled your coolant overflow tank with distilled water, you were simply refilling your radiator and overflow tank. This water just sat there. When you ran your engine and your coolant system kicked in, it began to circulate all of the fluid it contained. The air you introduced into the system when you drained the old coolant and refilled with distilled water began to evacuate back into your coolant overflow tank and the distilled water in your coolant overflow tank drained down into your coolant system to fill the empy volume that the evacuated air left behind. The evacuate air basically takes the place of the distilled water in your tank, one enters and forces the other to leave. At that point, your cooling system was full of fluid, which is what it wanted. As the coolant system continued to circulate, the distilled water mixed in well with the old coolant, diluting the old coolant and basically becoming a method of transport later on when you drain again.
[/b]
So yes the way I see it in order to get any really benefit from the water wetter you will have to do the whole system flush, rather than just the radiator.

·
Registered
815 Posts
just remember that the water wetter will be more effective it you use like a 75/25 mix. water wetter really wont do anything if you do 50/50. i usually see coolant system flushes go between 90-100 bucks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
8 Participants
Business
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing