Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on buying within the next month and I'll be taking test drives of these three cars in the next week or two.

2006 Honda Accord (Value Package, Auto)
2006 Mazda6 (I Base, Auto, Side Airbags)
2007 Mazda3 (S Sport, Auto, Side Airbags)

How is MZ6's
1) Reliability
2) Backseat comfort for an adult
3) Interior/Ergonomics
4) Build Quality
5) Rattles/Squeaks
6) Wind and Road Noise
Compared to the Mazda3 and Accord?

Unbiased replies would be appreciated, but just in case......I'll go find a MZ3 and Accord forum and post the same thing. :p

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if you dont need the space, a loaded mazda 3 or mazda 3 hatch is a really nice, and lighter, faster and more nimble car.

the auto i4 mazda 6 isnt one of the fastest cars on the planet...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
if the Value package is the 4cyl Accord then that thing is a bore...the V6 is a little more fun to drive but still not to exciting IMO.

The I4 MZ6 ATX is a slug too stock (sorry 6i ATX guys).

The 3s is more fun than either the other 2 cars but does not have the style or any type of touring car personality that the others show. It's an econobox and not really in the same class as the others, but still probably a zippy ride none the less.

My opinion: Ditch the ATX in all the cars and go drive the stick versions. I know the guys on here have said the 6i MTX is much more spirited a ride than the ATX and I am willing to bet this holds for the other cars as well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
1) Reliability
3) Interior/Ergonomics
4) Build Quality
5) Rattles/Squeaks
6) Wind and Road Noise
Compared to the Mazda3 and Accord?
[/b]
Let me preface this by saying that I have been a real Honda guy in the past. I worked for an Acura dealer for years and have owned various Acuras and Hondas. I bought my 6 because it was more engaging to drive than the Honda Accord , plus it came with a manual tranny and V6 (Honda did not do that until last year). I am familiar with and have driven all three of the cars you are interested in. I'll go down your list:

1) Probably advantage Honda, but my '03 6s w/ 49k miles has been a good car
2) How often are you carrying adults? 6 and Accord, nearly a tie - the 3 is smaller, but ok for 2
3) All three are very good overall
4) Advantage Honda (it's not huge, but especially on interior materials, fit and finish)
5) All three are equal here
6) Wind noise is pretty equal, Honda has an advantage in road noise isolation

What you need to be asking yourself is "do I need a midsize, or compact car?" You are comparing two brands that have similar flavors, but the Mazdas definitely have a clear advantage in the fun to drive factor. So, are you looking for a more engaging driving experience? If so, then either Mazda will fit the bill - the 3 offering the highest advantage solely because it is smaller, more nimble and has the same 4 cylinder moving less mass than a 6. The Honda is a nice car, but the Mazdas are, too. Plus you get a 3/50 limited bumper to bumper warranty and a better deal ($$$) on the Mazda, so there is a value advantage as well.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
184 Posts
If your gonna get a 6 go all the way, dont get the 4 cylinder, get the v6.

The MTX is slightly faster cause it has less weight but if your like me and
drive 1 hour each day to work the shifting gets old.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I have been a real Honda guy in the past. I worked for an Acura dealer for years and have owned various Acuras and Hondas. I bought my 6 because it was more engaging to drive than the Honda Accord , plus it came with a manual tranny and V6 (Honda did not do that until last year). I am familiar with and have driven all three of the cars you are interested in. I'll go down your list:

2) How often are you carrying adults? 6 and Accord, nearly a tie - the 3 is smaller, but ok for 2
4) Advantage Honda (it's not huge, but especially on interior materials, fit and finish)

What you need to be asking yourself is "do I need a midsize, or compact car?" You are comparing two brands that have similar flavors, but the Mazdas definitely have a clear advantage in the fun to drive factor. So, are you looking for a more engaging driving experience? If so, then either Mazda will fit the bill - the 3 offering the highest advantage solely because it is smaller, more nimble and has the same 4 cylinder moving less mass than a 6. The Honda is a nice car, but the Mazdas are, too. Plus you get a 3/50 limited bumper to bumper warranty and a better deal ($$$) on the Mazda, so there is a value advantage as well.

[/b]
ditto

just would add that traction control is a big bonus for safety - i think this is standard on the 6 and not avail on the accord i4. also, brakes on the 6 are better. plus if you get the hatch version of the 6, you get sedan styling with a huge extra dose of functionality. I drove the accord (been a big honda-fan for quite some time) and felt that the 6 was just more fun to drive without sacrificing much in terms of reliablity. the deals available on the 6 right now are pretty outstanding, so the value proposition benefits the 6 as long as it's characteristics are in line with what you're after.

good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Another factor to consider is how long you keep your vehicles.

The Mazda will cost you less up front. If you drive it for a long time then resale value is not much of an issue.

If you to trade your vehicles after 2-4 years then I suspect the Honda will have better resale. In the end it is probably a wash (pay me now or pay me later) but just something to factor in.

I drove both the MS6 and the AccordV6/6Speed before buying my MS6. The Accord was really nice, felt very solid, was pretty quick with the V6, it definitely had a more refined interior than the Mazda and better seats. The Mazda felt more like a drivers car, is a bit more fun to drive, and seemed less "vanilla" than the Accord. At least with the MS6 I do not see a dozen others sitting in the parking lot at work as I do with the Accords.

I have not driven the Mazda3 and I would see that as more comparable to a Civic. In terms of the Accord vs. Mazda6 the good news is that there is really not a bad choice. Go with what you prefer and not what anyone or any car magazine tells you.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
1) Reliability
3) Interior/Ergonomics
4) Build Quality
5) Rattles/Squeaks
6) Wind and Road Noise Compared to the Mazda3 and Accord?
[/b]
  1. If you're comparing to Honda, then Mazda reliability has always been somewhat less.
  2. About the same as the Accord in the 6. Worse than the Accord in the 3.
  3. Interior on the 6 is very ergonomic and tastefully designed. Tasteful design IMO is all together lacking from the Accord. However the Accord interior is more likely to be superior from a build quality point of view. I prefer the 6 interior over the 3.
  4. The 6's exterior build quality is top-notch. The interior suffers from poor quality fabrics in the case of the lower models. Also, dashboard squeaks have been reported quite often on the 6.
  5. Interior rattles and squeaks have been reported by a few owners
  6. The Accord is a quieter car than either of the Mazdas
Now... to put my response into context:

The Accord is made for comfort. Hence it appeals to a certain type of driver/owner. Now, the 6 is comfortable and all, but its main focus is to generate that "zoom zoom" feeling... to put a smile on the face of the driver (and also of the 5 year-old kid in the back seat egging the father to "go faster daddy...weeee")

An Accord driver probably doesn't look forward to taking S-bends at 50mph, nor does he shift gears around 4000rpm or higher. A Mazda6 driver does.

Hence, the car's engineered with a stiffer harder suspension. The engine has a difference power band.

People looking for high class perfection and pin-drop silence inside the cabin aren't going to like the 6. Best stick to an Accord or even a Camry.

Just my couple of cents worth. :)

PS! If you're considering the Mazdas, then I'd buy it with a 5-speed manual.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Side by side comparison wasn't sure what model for Accord but close results: right here

·
Registered
978 Posts
[*]The 6's exterior build quality is top-notch. The interior suffers from poor quality fabrics in the case of the lower models. Also, dashboard squeaks have been reported quite often on the 6.

[/b]
Personally, I think the 06 seat fabric is quite good; much better than the older stuff. In terms of rattles, I had one in the front "A" passenger pillar, but have since had that taken care of by my dealer. Which is why checking out the service department of where-ever you buy is important. One thing that is nice is that Mazda will give you a free loaner if your car does require warranty work. Lastly, having sites like this are very helpful in figuring out problems or learning about how you can improve your car. I can't speak about accord sites, but this site has been great in terms of getting the most out of the car that I chose.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Go buy a Camry or Lexus if you care about road noise, interior space and driver comfort. Mazdas are designed for people who actually enjoy driving, not just commuting, totally isolated from everything around them. It's what sets this company apart from the likes of Honda, Toyota, Lexus etc. The 6 is not a bad car for everyday driving in comfort but it won't be as quiet or smooth (boring) as a Camry or Accord for example. It is, however, 10x as fun to drive (if you really and truly enjoy driving).

As for reliability?? Well I don't buy into the hype. All cars have issues, doesn't matter what make or model. Honda has had crappy automatics in their Accords for years. Toyota recently made the news for failing engines. Visit the Acura forums and see the multitude of problems the RSX is having. Do a little research and let the hype flow through one ear and out the next.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just test drove a Mazda3 hatch last weekend and "Backseat comfort for an adult" is a major issue.

I'm 6'1" and if I'm driving or riding shotgun there's only enough backroom for my mother-in-law, and she's 5'1" :huh:

·
Registered
710 Posts
If your gonna get a 6 go all the way, dont get the 4 cylinder, get the v6.

The MTX is slightly faster cause it has less weight but if your like me and
drive 1 hour each day to work the shifting gets old.
[/b]
I hear you on that part about shifting during the work commute. I go the opposite way of rush hour traffic now but if I did have to change and faced bumper to bumper everyday I would sell for an auto pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Honda Accord with value package = hell no. cheap car. hubcap rims. nasty overall (ugly) value package : 19.5K stock bargainable 18k

Mazda 6 6i: better than accord safety wise, sportier looking, same price.
2006 Mazda 6I: 19K Bargainable 16K

Mazda 3 s sport: Great gas mileage yet peppy at the same time. Buy the top model for 21k (with spoiler of course & 5 speed Auto)

Comes with HID lights (orgasmic)
Leater seats (always nice)
Light weight car (faster than any NA 2.3L)
Great looks (picks up chicks)
Rain Sensitive windshield wiper (Lexus class stuff)
LED rear tail lights (looks good)
Traction control (safety for winter)
60/40 Folding seats (roomy)
Nice Rims (chicks dig it)

i could go on for a while more. If the answer isnt obvoius then go jump off a bridge my friend. Happy car shopping!

o ya. mazda 3 Bargainable to 19K

((if your not going to buy a mazda 3 grand touring go with a mazda 6 '06 s, you cant go wrong and i got mine down 6 THOUSAND dollars.))
sticker price: 24K and some change
Buying price: 18 and some change
Most are gone by now though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
And of course, take everything from the source. If you post the same question on the Honda forums, etc. you can expect completely diferent answers. I will say that the repsonses you are getting here are reasonably balanced in pointing out the strong points (driving fun) and weak points (interior not quite on par with competition).

If you want a nice balance between fun to drive and a world class interior, do not overlook the VW Jetta either. I will say, from personal; experience, that if you are having any reservations about any of the cars you are looking at your best bet is to wait for a while. While the dealer may try to convince you it is a once in a life deal, it is not. If you can borrow or rent whatever you are looking at and live with it for a full day on your normal routes, that will also help your decision much more than any test drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm currently trying to decide on a new car, and I just drove the 6 last night.

I found it extremely comfortable, and I really like the ergonomics in the driver's seat. I also love the dashboard storage unit - if I get a 6, I'm going to install a GPS in there just like the Mazda navigation gps would go if you were to get it.

I definitely prefer the ergonomics over the Accord. I found the road noise to be less than my focus, but I don't remember how it compares to my parents' accord ('04). I don't love their accord, so my vote definitely goes for the Mazda vs the Honda which bores me to death.

I'm also driving a 95 accord right now, that I got 2 years ago and it was in not great condition when my parents gave it to me (radio was flaky and has been dead for a year, no AC) and since I've had to replace the fuel line (and brake line cause they run to gether and rusted together), radiator, and clutch hydrolics...

So while the accord may have fewer problems during the first several years on average, I'm not impressed with the way this one aged. My focus will be 9 years old in 3 years (Same age as I got the accord at), and I don't see it falling apart in the same way in that time - and the 2000 focus is not known for reliability.

Not sure where I'm going with this exactly... Except that the record of the 6 has improved each year since its inception according to consumer reports, so it looks like they've made some positive changes to improve reliability.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you want a nice balance between fun to drive and a world class interior, do not overlook the VW Jetta either. [/b]

Yes get this car if you would like to be in a class with just about every other highschool and/or college female who also owns a jetta... :nono:

·
Registered
319 Posts

[/b]
As far as "noise level" goes, honest to god the 6 is superior in this category...my girlfriends accord on the highway is rediculously loud in comparison to my 6..

I will say this though, her 4cyl. AT accord with 172,000 miles has not had a single problem other than regular maintenance whereas with only 18,000 miles on my 6 I have had new front seats, a new clutch, and new front brakes..and all I do is drive it 800 miles per month on the highway..

The interior quality is MUCH better on Honda's..and I thought I'd never say this..but I do believe this has got much better on the 06-07 6's, but my 05 interior is cheaper than shit..

as far as "driving" goes though-the 6 is 10X more fun..like others have said, this is a driving car, not just an econobox commuter..

hope some of this helps you...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts