Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What all goes into swapping to the GT trim? How different is the harness? Obviously bumper cover and headlights etc

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
What all goes into swapping to the GT trim?
A lot.

How different is the harness?
Very.

Obviously bumper cover and headlights etc
But in all seriousness - the wiring for the GT headlights is unique to the GT because there's extra wires that account for extra bulbs (DRLs) and the adaptive (moving) headlights. So far as I know, no one has ever converted from non-GT to GT, or the other way around.

Beyond that "GT Trim" includes a few other things like seats, BSM, etc that I *believe* can be swapped in/out but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Really, beyond minor asthetic changes, you're really better off just buying another car in the trim level you want.

Many features are built-into the car and would required expensive/extensive modifications.

Safety equipment, seating, interior materials, different lighting, etc.

I would never recommend it unless you're a Rich Rebuilds type and just want a project to do.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I don't know if the harness is different at all. There are a fair number of un-connected plugs on the Sport harness; I've had my doors and other places apart to do things (e.g. stereo, etc) and there's quite a lot obviously there for "plug and go." However, I don't know what's supposed to be on a GT as I've never dug around inside one, so whether it's "half there", "1/4 there" or "all there" from a wiring harness perspective I have no idea.

It DOES make sense for Mazda, or anyone else, to make only one harness and leave pieces unpopulated. MUCH cheaper. However, that doesn't mean they did. But in some cases they clearly did (e.g. the Homelink mirror connector, which is not on the lower trims, is right under the A-pillar cover and it plugs right in -- including the dim circuit! It took me longer to get the cover off and re-attached than it did to add the mirror.....)

With that said I don't think I'd try to go after this sort of conversion; sell the car and buy one of the trim you want. It's not worth it. In my case I wanted the Sport trim since I wanted to swap the stereo anyway, so the lowest sunk cost there was a bonus, I did NOT want a sunroof, and I also didn't want all the nanny stuff nor an ATX. Since I live near the water and am a runner I was going to put Wet Okole seatcovers on immediately anyway because sweaty human is really nasty on any stock seating surface no matter how much money you spend; ergo, leather was worth zero. Etc etc. So for me, the Sport saved me a ton of money on things I didn't want and didn't have to pay for, and I got a less-complex (and therefore less-likely to have something break) vehicle at the same time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Really, beyond minor asthetic changes, you're really better off just buying another car in the trim level you want.

Many features are built-into the car and would required expensive/extensive modifications.

Safety equipment, seating, interior materials, different lighting, etc.

I would never recommend it unless you're a Rich Rebuilds type and just want a project to do.
This. Given the abysmal resale value of these cars you are better off just buying a used GT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts