Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

My 1-year old Mazda-6 GT/V6 Sport has brake problems that Mazda won't fix. The brake pedal sinks too far upon constant and light application or repeated application. Taking my foot off the pedal causes the pressure to return until the next application.

The dealer was going to replace the master cylinder until they noticed that the brake fluid was bright green. When they began to bleed the system, the fluid came out clear in the back and green in the front. The fluid in the reservoir is green also.

This sounds similar to this other forum posting:

Forum posting on green brake fluid color.

Because the brake fluid is apparently contaminated, though it isn't understood what it is contaminated with (one service mgr suspected antifreeze because of the color), the dealer says that he is unable to make a warranty claim. Any brake components found to have failed will be assumed to be due to the contaminated fluid. They are now also stating that most of the brake system (ABS sensor modules etc.) will need to be replaced -- any portion of the system that might have a rubber-seal degradation due to the contaminated fluid. Hence the potential repair costs have gone from $500 to potentially thousands.

I have gotten the same response from two different dealers, and Mazda corporate is saying the same thing.

So, I'm stuck. I have a vehicle classed as not-safe-to-drive, under a comprehensive warranty that isn't helping me one bit, and green brake fluid that is a mystery to me.

I'm a sixth-time Mazda-only customer, and I'm not happy.

Anyone got any thoughts to offer?
Has anyone else experienced the green brake fluid as mentioned in the other forum posting (referenced above)?

Note that my car isn't a manual, it is the six-speed auto.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Gavin.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Tell them you work for a master distributor for johnson rods and can wholesale to them at a deeper discount than what they are already getting from Mazda if they help you out. I bet they will be very interested...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Folks,

My 1-year old Mazda-6 GT/V6 Sport has brake problems that Mazda won't fix. The brake pedal sinks too far upon constant and light application or repeated application. Taking my foot off the pedal causes the pressure to return until the next application.

The dealer was going to replace the master cylinder until they noticed that the brake fluid was bright green. When they began to bleed the system, the fluid came out clear in the back and green in the front. The fluid in the reservoir is green also.

This sounds similar to this other forum posting:

Forum posting on green brake fluid color.

Because the brake fluid is apparently contaminated, though it isn't understood what it is contaminated with (one service mgr suspected antifreeze because of the color), the dealer says that he is unable to make a warranty claim. Any brake components found to have failed will be assumed to be due to the contaminated fluid. They are now also stating that most of the brake system (ABS sensor modules etc.) will need to be replaced -- any portion of the system that might have a rubber-seal degradation due to the contaminated fluid. Hence the potential repair costs have gone from $500 to potentially thousands.

I have gotten the same response from two different dealers, and Mazda corporate is saying the same thing.

So, I'm stuck. I have a vehicle classed as not-safe-to-drive, under a comprehensive warranty that isn't helping me one bit, and green brake fluid that is a mystery to me.

I'm a sixth-time Mazda-only customer, and I'm not happy.

Anyone got any thoughts to offer?
Has anyone else experienced the green brake fluid as mentioned in the other forum posting (referenced above)?

Note that my car isn't a manual, it is the six-speed auto.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Gavin.
[/b]

I would fight this thing hard. It appears that this is a factory thing at least on some of the Mazda 6 cars to have green dye in the front brake system although I would think the dealers would know this if that is the case. As I stated previously when I bled my brakes I got fairly clear/slightly dirty fluid out of the back and green looking fluid out of the front calipers and clutch. I am fairly positive that no one had previously touched my brake system so this should be the factory fluid. The fluid didn't appear any different than normal fluid...viscosity seemed right, no seperating etc., and the brakes and clutch were working fine. I was guessing it was some sort of dye Mazda used to see if anyone had worked on the system or possibly some reaction of the fluid when new to something in the brake system to were it picked up the color. Irregardless if you know no one has messed with your brakes I would push this hard as this is probably a factory issue and there should be no reason for them to try to void your warranty for something that is likely a factory issue. I would venture to say that the green color is not contamination unless done at the factory and definately not antifreeze.

It does sound like a master cylinder problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The replies on this thread have been really helpful for me. It's nice to know that, in fact, my brake fluid may just be brake fluid that is dyed green by the factory.

This may be too much to ask, but if anyone with green fluid can snap and post a picture of their open fluid reservoir showing the green color, it might help me to at least shift the thinking of the local dealers and get them to start working with me on getting to the bottom of this.

Gavin.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
The replies on this thread have been really helpful for me. It's nice to know that, in fact, my brake fluid may just be brake fluid that is dyed green by the factory.

This may be too much to ask, but if anyone with green fluid can snap and post a picture of their open fluid reservoir showing the green color, it might help me to at least shift the thinking of the local dealers and get them to start working with me on getting to the bottom of this.

Gavin.
[/b]
I'll get some pictures of mine if it's the same tonight and post them tomarrow for you. To be honest I don't remember if mine is green or not though.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Because the brake fluid is apparently contaminated, though it isn't understood what it is contaminated with (one service mgr suspected antifreeze because of the color), the dealer says that he is unable to make a warranty claim. [/b]
Brake fluid always darkens. It, by nature, attracts moisture which is what discolors it - usually a dark greenish, or brownish color. Heat exasperates this. Have you been autocrossing, or otherwise running really hard on the brakes? Also, if the sleeve in the master cylinder has failed, it will further discolor the fluid due to corrosion. Final note: the front fuid was darker because it does just over 80% of the braking in the 6. Remember? Heat = discoloration. All of this is assuming that nobody inadvertantly contaminated your brake fluid. To me it is on your dealer to prove that it is contaminated and not worthy of warranty coverage.

Your dealer is a dumbass! Get a second opinion if you can. Get the district Service Manager involved if you have to. Mazda also has a Customer Relations number, but I've been told that they usually refer back to the District Manager.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brake fluid always darkens. It, by nature, attracts moisture which is what discolors it - usually a dark greenish, or brownish color. Heat exasperates this. Have you been autocrossing, or otherwise running really hard on the brakes? Also, if the sleeve in the master cylinder has failed, it will further discolor the fluid due to corrosion. Final note: the front fuid was darker because it does just over 80% of the braking in the 6. Remember? Heat = discoloration. All of this is assuming that nobody inadvertantly contaminated your brake fluid. To me it is on your dealer to prove that it is contaminated and not worthy of warranty coverage.

Your dealer is a dumbass! Get a second opinion if you can. Get the district Service Manager involved if you have to. Mazda also has a Customer Relations number, but I've been told that they usually refer back to the District Manager.

Good luck!
[/b]
No, I just drive it around town without any out of the ordinary braking.

I opened a case with Customer Relations of Mazda Canada. They got back to me after a few days and were basically taking the word of the first dealer's service manager on his opinion that, because the fluid is green, it must be contaminated. Hence Customer Relations stated that they would not support a warranty claim if parts failure were due to contaminated fluid.

Again, after owning only Mazdas since I was old enough to have a driver's license, a total of six Mazdas, and I get a new one every three to four years, I was shocked that corporate was prepared to end such a long relationship without trying to work through the problem with me.

There are three Mazda dealers in the city and I've been through this with two of them.

I have located a petrochemical analysis/testing laboratory in Toronto, and spoken to them about this. In a day or two I may send them a sample of the fluid (they require 200ml) for testing. It will be interesting if their tests reveal that, drumroll please, the fluid is simply brake fluid!

Gavin.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I really hope you stick it to them on this, and that the brake fluid is simply dyed green. I can't think of a green fluid in our car, or that could be put in our car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to clarify before I bled my brakes the fluid in the reservoir was just a normal dirty brake fluid color. This is the way the rear brake fluid looked. It was just bleeding the fronts that the green fluid came out until the new fluid flushed through. I just did a quick internet search on green brake fluid and found Saturn owners reporting green fluid also when flushing brakes. It may just be a matter of the moisture that the system naturally picks up makes the fluid turn the more greenish color.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've considered the remote possibility that the green color is caused either by algae or some other microorganism. Even fuel can have living bacteria in it! But my dealership maintains that the brake fluid is purposely dyed green. Who knows?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
10 Participants
silver036s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing