Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 mazdaspeed 6 GT with 170,000 miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have never posted on a forum but I have spent hours reading about problems and issues and I can usually find the answer but I haven't been able to find the answer to my current problem.

I have a 2006 mazdaspeed6 GT that I recently bought with 170,000 miles on it.

Current things I have done:
Replaced VVT and timing chain
CPE injector seals
walnut blasted the valves
Damond motorsports oil restrictor bolt
PMM and RMM -damond
Damond catch can
EGR delete
Cobb access port on a stage 1 tune which is designed for a stock everything

The car is currently consuming around a quart every 500 miles. There is no smoke coming out the back and I don't think the turbo is responsible for this much oil loss. I can sometimes smell the oil burning while I am cruising or after I shut the car off. I always let it idle for a minute or so to let the oil circulate out of the turbo. It is the original turbo but with no smoke, I can't imagine that The turbo is the main culprit. The car has no power modifications done to it and stays around the 14 PSI mark for boost. I compression tested the motor and I had 165 across all cylinders which are within the 160-180 spec. I checked the catch can at 600 miles and it had very little in it so I am inclined to think it is not blow-by. I understand that the car is old and has a lot of miles and it will consume oil but it shouldn't drink it right? I am thoroughly lost and I am hoping someone else has an idea of what's going on.

·
Super Moderator
17,965 Posts
Welcome to (your first) forum!

Sorry to hear about the issues. I've unfortunately got little to no knowledge of the speed6 so I'll have to refer you to people like @RevMedia or @TalonTsi90 who are active here and know a bunch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the engine isn't leaking the oil, and a qt in 500 mi is a lot to leak, it is being consumed/passed by bad oil rings or the turbo, or by both. A compression test is inconclusive for bad/stuck oil rings as is the lack of blow-by.

·
Registered
2006 mazdaspeed 6 GT with 170,000 miles
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If its not leaking, its gotta be burning. Can you smell oil out the exhaust at idle (i mean, put your nose next to it)? If so, its burning, but not enough to show blue smoke, or the cat is catching it cause its partially clogged maybe.
I found out were part of it was burning at least. when I did the banjo bolt from diamond motorsports it torqued incorrectly and was leaking oil onto the top of the turbo, I filled it back up and am now waiting to see how fast it burns now.

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed6
78 Posts
I found out were part of it was burning at least. when I did the banjo bolt from diamond motorsports it torqued incorrectly and was leaking oil onto the top of the turbo, I filled it back up and am now waiting to see how fast it burns now.

Great, glad you found what is most likely the source. I was going to add that I fully agree with Talon, that would be quite a lot to be leaking without noticing drips after being parked and if its burning a bit off in the exhaust then an older/partially clogged cat could be eliminating visible smoking. If adjusting that banjo bolt doesn't solve everything I would possibly take a look at the oil return line from the turbo to the block (on the block side) its in a pretty annoying spot to get at and a lot of people experience small leaks there - but again at that much of a leak I'm sure you'd notice drops

·
Rally Racer
3,484 Posts
A quart of oil every 500 miles leaking out of the engine is a puddle maker.
I predict it will remain (hopeful it won't) and is likely a little bit everywhere, Turbo and rings.
170,000 miles on a fairly high boost car is like reusing the same piece of clear plastic food wrap for a month. It eventually just wears out.
I can't say for sure how it will interact with a Turbo motor but I used a product called Restore - Engine Restorer Lubricant (Smurf pee kind of blue stuff) that was a copper based sealer. I used the 6cyl size in my 1.8l 4cyl and it took me from 1qt/500mi to 1qt/2000mi, and remedied a misfire due to loss of compression. It bought me some time (4yrs 🙄) to get the refresh lined up. One can at each oil change (q 300mi)
Just some thoughts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
You'd be surprised how much a "little leak" will leak and, depending on where it's leaking, it may not wind up on the driveway either. I had a valve cover gasket that was leaking on my now-kid's Jetta. It didn't put any noticeable spotting on the driveway, but when I fixed it what was a quart consumed every 1,000 miles or so went to very close to zero! I presume most of it was burning off on the turbo or exhaust rather than winding up on the road but I can't prove it.

·
Rally Racer
3,484 Posts
You'd be surprised how much a "little leak" will leak and, depending on where it's leaking, it may not wind up on the driveway either. I had a valve cover gasket that was leaking on my now-kid's Jetta. It didn't put any noticeable spotting on the driveway, but when I fixed it what was a quart consumed every 1,000 miles or so went to very close to zero! I presume most of it was burning off on the turbo or exhaust rather than winding up on the road but I can't prove it.
Well that would be great.

·
Registered
2006 Mazdaspeed/MPS 6
25 Posts
Hopefully Nathaniel found the leak. I had an oil pressure sensor leaking a lot (at least a quart every 500 miles) and so it’d only leak when the engine was running. I knew it was leaking so it wasn’t a mystery, but it never left a puddle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts