Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm reading the articles in the latest Consumer Reports, pg. 8 First Look: Mazda6, and i come across the following passage:

"The Mazda6 comes with either a new 2.3-liter, 160-hp Four designed by Mazda, which has variable valve timing, or a 220-hp, 3.0-liter V6 from Ford."

Now, anyone else here think that it was the V6 with the VVT (as per Mazda's website)? Or that the I4 engine is also by Ford, since aren't they using the same engine in the new Focus. And In fact, when they say "V6 from Ford," don't they really mean, just the engine block came from Ford? At least that was my understanding, I may be on crack, correct me if wrong.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reading Topic: Consumer Reports just out...

The V6 is a Ford block and Mazda heads, like you said. I believe both the I4 and V6 use VVT (too lazy to check, but I know the V6 has VVT for sure).

Details, details, details...they're the devil :D

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

1.8l and 2.0l are the only engines in the Mazda 6 line of petrol enigines that uses fixed valve timings... I think :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

We've had legnthy discussions on this issue. A search would be useful, but in summary:

2.3 = all mazda
3.0 = ford block, rest mazda

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Consumer Reports just out...'

Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn

Now, anyone else here think that it was the V6 with the VVT (as per Mazda's website)?[/b]
Yes.. the 3.0 does have the VVT. Perhaps Comsumer Reports got it wrong.. but I am almost positive that it does have the VVT.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Consumer Reports just out...'

It has been my observation over the years that Consumer Reports has never been overly concerned about getting their "facts" right. I don't think they know and I don't think they care that this isn't a Ford engine.

I rely on them for nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts