Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up latest edition of consumer reports april 2003. Mazda 6 is recommended and has a above average reliabilty rating..... FYI. :D :thumbup

oh.. and there is a comment about the v6 being a little thirsty!! any one have any thoughts on that.....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Reading Topic: Consumer reports april 2003 edition...

V6 is adequate compared to the "last generation" V6's out there (Camry Passat Taurus GM Series II)

But compared to the "next generation" V6's I'd say there is a little room for improvement (Honda, Nissan, BMW)

While not thirsty, you can definitely see the I4 has the tech to play with the best of the I4's, but that the V6 is just average.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I would back that as well... I have seen the v6 get really thirsty especially at higher revs...

Im still playing with the car too.. One week I will drive in only auto, and the next time i fill with gas I will only use the sports shifter... I have seen some bigger gas mileage with just the automatic rather than the sports shifter. I still average about 250 miles before the light comes on.. That's about 17 MPG (18 gal tank, 3 gal reserve = 250/15 = 16.6). This is a combination of highway and city driving though.

·
Registered
212 Posts

I get about 18 mpg in my 6s using mostly the automatic mode and almost exclusively city driving. That's not bad IMO, as I certainly don't baby the car :D

The V6 may be a bit thirsty, but part of it may be the character of the car - it begs you to drive it hard, which means lower gas mileage. I don't think cars like Camry and Accord have the same character - most people who own those cars have a rather sedate driving style.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Consumer Reports also wasted an entire sentence saying that the turning circle of the 6 is too large, but the chart elsewhere in the magazine shows that it is 41 feet (vs 40 for the Accord, 42 for the Acura TL, 40 for the Chevy impala, 41 for the Altima, and 39 for the Camry). also, I wonder if the turning circle varies depending on the tire size?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Even though I drive 25,000 miles per year, the difference between 17 MPG and 19MPG with gas at $2.16, is only $6 to $7 per week, certainly not enough to be a significant factor in choosing one car over another.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Consumer reports april 2003 edition...'

From Consumer Reports
"The Mazda6 is an all-new replacement for the lackluster Mazda 626. The 6 is intially offered as a sedan. Wagon and hatchback versions will arrive next year. A five-speed automatic transmission is available only on the V6 model. The split fold-down rear seatback has a handy spring-loaded release mechanism: Push a button and the seats fold down to increase cargo space. Handling is fairly nimble. The ride is firm yet compliant. The brakes are excellent. The four-cylinder engine doesn't feel as punchy or refined as those in the Accord or Camry. The Ford-supplied V6 is quiet thirsty. Turning circle is wide, making parking maneuvers tedious. "
Consumer Reports

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Have consumer reports ever tried to park a crown vic? I never had any trouble with that, so they can shut up. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts

Well, according to Consumer Reports, if the front bumper isn't biting the rear in the ass, the turn radius is too large.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It IS a little hard to manouver in tight spaces, because of the turning radious. Turning around on a street is complicated.. A lot of revers-forward-reverse-forward... But then it WAS a very tight street :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

I look at CR just for their reliability reports.

Don't listen to what they have to say about performance. If it handles well, the ride is too stiff. If you can hear the engine, it is too loud. You get the picture.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts