Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we all love our M6s, heck, we have an entire forum dedicated to celebrate our love and loyalty for our 6s ! But what about those "negative traits" that so often gets scattered around in hundred different threads ? I thought i'll start off with my list of things in my 2016 Mazda6 GT that hopefully Mazda will fix someday.

1. Tire noise - these dunlops are loud !
2. Wind noise - you don't know what wind noise is until you drive this car when its moderately windy outside, it is LOUD ! Many a times i've had to double check if all my windows are rolled up, it really is that loud.
3. Thin paint - Not obvious in light colors, but try parking a dark colored 6 next to a similar colored Camry or Accord, and you'll notice the Mazda paint looks super thin and lacks depth.
4. Iffy infotainment system - Its slow and the voice recognition has a mind of its own. The interface is needs a thorough re-planning, and Mazda needs to work on releasing the android auto/apple carplay asap.
5.Phone connectivity - why download messages and contacts everytime you connect ? I can't figure this one out.
6. Harsh ride - This car does not like bumps ! You can feel the vibrations come through the steering wheel when you go over the smallest of undulations on road.
7. Short shifting gears - This baby is geared for mileage ! It has really short ratios so you are in a higher gear sooner than you like.

Those are my peeves, now lets hear yours !

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
1) I'll give you this one. The SP5000s blow
2) Don't really notice the wind noise much. Then again, I like playing my music when I'm driving
3) I have Mica Snowflake White, so I can't comment
4) Not a fan of the system. Takes too long to load the USB connection and half the time it will try to default to another source in the process
5) My biggest beef until recently. So far, the GS7 is behaving
6) Haven't noticed the harsh ride either. Most people remark positively about the ride. I'm sure the tires have a lot to do with it.
7) I agree the gears are short, but as you said they're aiming for mileage. Being a commuter, I can respect that.

Only other annoyance I have is a lack of a dimmer for the instrument panel. If you, for some reason, need to have your lights on during the day the panel and infotainment system wash out pretty bad.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Only other annoyance I have is a lack of a dimmer for the instrument panel. If you, for some reason, need to have your lights on during the day the panel and infotainment system wash out pretty bad.
Turn the odometer selector located directly behind 1 O'clock of the steering wheel to the left and that will turn it to daytime brightness with the headlights on. Turn it right to dim it back to adjust night brightness setting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1) I'll give you this one. The SP5000s blow
2) Don't really notice the wind noise much. Then again, I like playing my music when I'm driving
3) I have Mica Snowflake White, so I can't comment
4) Not a fan of the system. Takes too long to load the USB connection and half the time it will try to default to another source in the process
5) My biggest beef until recently. So far, the GS7 is behaving
6) Haven't noticed the harsh ride either. Most people remark positively about the ride. I'm sure the tires have a lot to do with it.
7) I agree the gears are short, but as you said they're aiming for mileage. Being a commuter, I can respect that.

Mine has a dimmer - it's the long stick protruding from the instrument cluster (behind the steering wheel) - the same one you use to reset your trip/mileage. Just turn it clockwise until you hear a beep. Everything should be bright :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
779 Posts
I an agree on the bumpy ride. I just got the car today to the dealer because I couldn't handle it anymore. Turns out the wheels were completely out of balance and the front rotors were uneven. It's a bit better now - still shaking a bit but from what I hear from other people that seems to be normal.

My next big thing will be the rims and get some good tires .. than I might do some slotted rotors with better heat management since I drive her pretty hard :-]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Why not offer the red stitched perforated leather and flappy paddles in the touring package?
Can't help with the stitching, but I added paddle shifters to my Touring for a bit under $200 and about a hour of my time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hate how I cannot keep traction/stability off, it resets every time I start up my car again.
I hate how I can't just keep auto city-brake or whatever it's called off, it resets every time I start up the car too.

I just wish the settings would just stick...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'll add 2.
Weak as heck fans on the rear air controls.
No illuminated door controls.
OK maybe 2 more.
Why not offer the red stitched perforated leather and flappy paddles in the touring package?
I second the weak fans on the rear air controls. It's tempting to try to do some kind of mod on that, but then I'm always in the driver's seat. :laugh2:

On another note, I did add illumination to my power lock/unlock button. It really bugged me that I couldn't see that in the dark.

·
Registered
791 Posts
1. Tire noise - these dunlops are loud !
2. Wind noise - you don't know what wind noise is until you drive this car when its moderately windy outside, it is LOUD ! Many a times i've had to double check if all my windows are rolled up, it really is that loud.
3. Thin paint - Not obvious in light colors, but try parking a dark colored 6 next to a similar colored Camry or Accord, and you'll notice the Mazda paint looks super thin and lacks depth.
4. Iffy infotainment system - Its slow and the voice recognition has a mind of its own. The interface is needs a thorough re-planning, and Mazda needs to work on releasing the android auto/apple carplay asap.
5.Phone connectivity - why download messages and contacts everytime you connect ? I can't figure this one out.
6. Harsh ride - This car does not like bumps ! You can feel the vibrations come through the steering wheel when you go over the smallest of undulations on road.
7. Short shifting gears - This baby is geared for mileage ! It has really short ratios so you are in a higher gear sooner than you like.

Those are my peeves, now lets hear yours !
1. Tire noise - hellz yeah ... At 7,000 miles it seemed to get worse. Drove Hondas for years so was used to it but switched to Conti DWS 06s. Incredible difference. Not Lexus quiet but no longer an issue.

2. Wind noise. Actually just drove to the beach this week. Quite windy. No issue. Quiet and car handled the buffeting fine at highway speeds.

3. Paint. The Meteor gray look great IMO. I've only had issues with the side mirrors chipping.

4. Infotainment is above average I think. I've read so much worse about other brands. Would like to see system responsiveness increased. Takes a few seconds to switch from NAV to radio. Voice commands overall are useless.

5. Phone connectivity is fine for me. It downloads contacts every time because it doesn't store them. Easier to do this than to scan and upload changes. Most current is always indexed and ready to go.

6. Ride harshness. Even with the OEM Dunlops, I thought Mazda struck a brilliant combination of handling and ride comfort, with 19 inch wheels and super low profile tires no less. The DWS 06s took the edge off of the slight harshness and the ride feels almost creamy on smooth roads. Rough pavement doesn't transmit NVH thru the body and large bumps are satisfyingly numbed and not jarring.

7. Tall gears and the transmission's willingness to up shift early can make for lazy acceleration. It's like it's always in "Eco" mode unless prompted. Pushing the gas pedal at least half way will hold gears longer. A full on stomp will make it hustle. Sport mode will keep it revving even more aggressively. A nice balance of encouraging fuel efficient driving and allowing you to override it with a twitch of your foot.

A few things I would add... All admittedly minor ....

Wish the trunk release switch would stay lit after the rest of the dash board dims. Also wish the moonroof switch and home link buttons were illuminated. Better yet, put home link on the roof near the map lights.

Speaking of lighting .... On the GT, seems like an oversight that only the front and rear interior lights are LED. Spend the extra $10 and make the door courtesy lights, glove box/trunk, and license plate lights LED, too. Put the exterior puddle lights under the outside mirrors again like my '09 GT.

Regarding the outside mirrors... Make the passenger side mirror auto dimming like my '09, too.

When approaching a highway maneuver, the Navi displays instructions / road signage over the top of the maneuver. Annoying that you can't see the road behind the graphic. Even more annoying, live traffic absolutely useless!! Put it on the main NAV screen real time. I would rather pay a subscription to have it properly executed.

The Active Driving Display is neat and I've come to appreciate / use it more than I would have thought. But the execution is terrible. The screen gets bumped when cleaning the windshield (car on listening to the radio) or if I remove the sunscreen after turning on the car.

Lumbar support could be dialed up a little more. So could the Bose system bass.

Trunk cargo net installation - Why the hell require taking out trim pieces and drilling??? Just provide thicker anchors with wider threads that screw into holes that already exist for the plastics trim clips. My early Honda's were like that. Easy peasy install. And on the topic of accessories... make all the cool JDM OEM accessories available in the US!! LED grill logo please. :grin2:

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Some of these complaints crack me up....as of right now, in first place is the sun visor complaint. Badly cut sun visors?!?!? That's like saying "badly cut paper, because damn it, I got a paper cut!"

·
Registered
15 Posts
For an appreciation forum, there certainly are plenty of complaints about the Mazda 6 lol!

I'm just leasing my 2016 Mazda 6 GT. To be honest, I was very disappointed in the car from the beginning. My last lease was a Ford Taurus SHO, which was literally twice the car as the Mazda, in horsepower, ride, and comfort.

That being said, the Mazda is more affordable in monthly payment (only $90 per month cheaper, but with more miles per year), and in gas milage (the Taurus was 19mpg, vs. the Mazda is 29mpg so far).

My biggest complaints about the Mazda 6 GT are:

1) Noisy ride compared to other cars I've owned
2) Lack of substantial Lumbar support in drivers seat
3) Lack of cabin illumination
4) Cheesy Exhaust Tips (I fixed that)
5) No heated steering wheel
6) No option for remote start WITHIN THE SAME FACTORY FOB
7) No option for cooled front seats
8) Lack of bass in the factory Bose system (the punch is good, but the deep bass is underwhelming)

I see members on here have done all sorts of upgrades and modifications to their cars, and that's kind of the point. For a top-of-the-line trim level, you shouldn't have to make that many upgrades, in my opinion.

... just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
No offense, but I love it when people pit a Mazda 6 against a car from a different class (such as a Taurus SHO or a Nissan Maxima) and say that the Mazda is a lesser car. Of course it is, the 6 is a midsize sedan. The Taurus SHO is a full size performance sedan. The Maxima is a midsize performance sedan.

Zoom Zoom was years ago. The Mazda 6 is NOT a performance vehicle in it's current guise. Until (or if) the MazdaSpeed moniker returns, you'll just have to deal with it.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts