Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a brochure from Mazda in the mail today. No new news, but some nice pics. They have one of the center console that allowed me to see more detail then I've seen before. Perhaps someone can explain the unexplained on the console:

At the top, on either side of the display are four or six buttons. Two of them say "open" and "tilt". My first guess is nav system stuff, but I thought we weren't getting a nav system...so what are we opening and tilting?

The buttons look quite flat, and would hence be difficult to turn them if they are the knobs they appear to be. Are they the kind that you push and they pop out, you turn, push again and they sit flush? Or are they round rocker switches (as the three across the bottom appear that they may be).

I see a little picture of a dude with an airbag going off in the lower center. Is this the malfunction light?

Finally, I see two tteny bottons on either side of the CD slot (not the load or eject - which brings me to another point: Why does a CD player need a "load" button?). Are these fake or do they have a function?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Console and Controls'

Originally posted by applejax

I got a brochure from Mazda in the mail today.  No new news, but some nice pics.  They have one of the center console that allowed me to see more detail then I've seen before.  Perhaps someone can explain the unexplained on the console:

At the top, on either side of the display are four or six buttons.  Two of them say "open" and "tilt".  My first guess is nav system stuff, but I thought we weren't getting a nav system...so what are we opening and tilting?

The buttons look quite flat, and would hence be difficult to turn them if they are the knobs they appear to be.  Are they the kind that you push and they pop out, you turn, push again and they sit flush?  Or are they round rocker switches (as the three across the bottom appear that they may be).

I see a little picture of a dude with an airbag going off in the lower center.  Is this the malfunction light?

Finally, I see two tteny bottons on either side of the CD slot (not the load or eject - which brings me to another point:  Why does a CD player need a "load" button?).  Are these fake or do they have a function?[/b]
Dude with airbag igniting is the "Airbag Readiness" light. Comes on with the car at first and goes off when it's ready.

CD Player needs a load button if it has the optional CD Changer. It then load the CD into a cache. On this one I think it's 6 disc.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts

The open and tilt maybe the buttons for the moonroof. From the center console's layout, I'm not sure if it has the option to put an aftermarket stereo in. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
86 Posts

Originally posted by tcwong

The open and tilt maybe the buttons for the moonroof. From the center console's layout, I'm not sure if it has the option to put an aftermarket stereo in. What do you guys think?[/b]

I don't think you're able to put in an aftermarket stereo, cos as I understand it from the dealer in Singapore, the stereo is integrated at the time of assembly, and I read from the Bose website that the M6 in some markets comes equipped with Bose stereos. The ones we get in Singapore are OEMs by Nakamichi.....so the dealer says. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by CHY

The open and tilt maybe the buttons for the moonroof. From the center console's layout, I'm not sure if it has the option to put an aftermarket stereo in. What do you guys think?[/b]

I don't think you're able to put in an aftermarket stereo, cos as I understand it from the dealer in Singapore, the stereo is integrated at the time of assembly, and I read from the Bose website that the M6 in some markets comes equipped with Bose stereos. The ones we get in Singapore are OEMs by Nakamichi.....so the dealer says. :) [/b][/quote]

You can always upgrade the stereo. I am sure someone will come out with a dash kit sooner or later, that's all one needs. The rest is just wiring.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Originally posted by CHY

The ones we get in Singapore are OEMs by Nakamichi.....so the dealer says. :)[/b]
Yeah *right*. Just because it's a six disc in-dash changer doesn't mean it's a Naka HU. Trust me, I've taken apart the entire stereo and it ain't Nakamitchi. They just want you to feel good guessing that you really won't go messing with the ICE.

From the center console's layout, I'm not sure if it has the option to put an aftermarket stereo in. What do you guys think?[/b]
You can't change the head unit unless you're;

a) Willing to forgo the integrated display &

B) Willing to fork out obscene amounts of money to get the centre console cubic printed to suit your head unit.

You can always upgrade the stereo. I am sure someone will come out with a dash kit sooner or later, that's all one needs. The rest is just wiring.[/b]
The most upgrading you can do after you get the 6-disc in dash changer + MiniDisc Player is to add a pre-amplifier using hi-lo connector and adding extra amps, upgrading/adding speakers.

You can check out my car's trunk in the pictures section.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I see a little picture of a dude with an airbag going off in the lower center.  Is this the malfunction light?[/b]
That's the light that indicates that the airbag is disabled (in some markets) so that you can have a child seat in front.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Originally posted by XTerm

Originally posted by CHY

The ones we get in Singapore are OEMs by Nakamichi.....so the dealer says. :)[/b]
Yeah *right*. Just because it's a six disc in-dash changer doesn't mean it's a Naka HU. Trust me, I've taken apart the entire stereo and it ain't Nakamitchi. They just want you to feel good guessing that you really won't go messing with the ICE.

From the center console's layout, I'm not sure if it has the option to put an aftermarket stereo in. What do you guys think?[/b]
You can't change the head unit unless you're;

a) Willing to forgo the integrated display &

B) Willing to fork out obscene amounts of money to get the centre console cubic printed to suit your head unit.

You can always upgrade the stereo. I am sure someone will come out with a dash kit sooner or later, that's all one needs. The rest is just wiring.[/b]
The most upgrading you can do after you get the 6-disc in dash changer + MiniDisc Player is to add a pre-amplifier using hi-lo connector and adding extra amps, upgrading/adding speakers.

You can check out my car's trunk in the pictures section.[/b][/quote]

Damn..!!! these dealers they'll say anything huh...??

What about the Bose system thinggy....how come we don't get that option here?

·
Registered
35 Posts

Yes, that's what I thought. Since everyone is intergrated at the center console, you cannot upgrade the stereo system, at least the main unit. That is not good unless the upgrade bose can bump out some good music quality. The good thing is you don't have to worry about someone stealing the stereo :sarc

·
Registered
148 Posts

Originally posted by CHY

Damn..!!! these dealers they'll say anything huh...??

What about the Bose system thinggy....how come we don't get that option here?[/b]
Once again, taxes my friend. Taxes. They wanna make pricing look attractive to the buyer while they still make about $15K per car.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Since it sounds like we have some knowledge on the stereo...

Does it, perchance, have any line outputs? i.e. preamp outs?
That would make for a nice upgrade while keeping the sharp look of the car.

·
Registered
305 Posts

I know in the 1,835 articles I've read on the 6 that I've seen mention somewhere that Mazda plans center console plastic that includes a standard DIN opening for installing your own stereo. Don't know if this is yet available, though.

I wouldn't care, if they had an MP3 player module available. C'mon, cassette? That's so 1990s. Or if they'd at least put in an input like so many aftermarket stereos have, so I could plug in my iPod...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yeah, I hear that! The spec sheet says there's a mini-disk option. A mini disk??? For the 2 people I've ever met that used a mini-disk?!? At least where I'm from. But an MP3 interface, now that's got some value.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I use mini-discs... I got a Sony MD player in my home stereo.

I also got a portable MD player, but don't use it too much. I was considering the MD for the car, but opted for the CD only.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Yeah but their cool looking though :D

And isn't that one of the biggest selling features of the car. Looks are directly proportional to it's popularity usually. :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I wouldn't agree, Applejax.

I have CDR too (we have burners for all our computers here at home); and MiniDisk is by far superior. They are small to handle, can lie around in piles without scratching (perfect in a car!)...

Only negative thing about it is the 1-to-1 ratio when it comes to transferring music. One hour play time takes one hour...

Sony has now released a MD that can be connected to a computer and that shuffles data a lot quicker. But that does not help me since I've already made my investment...

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

The load button is probably for the changer. You must press the load button to be able to insert a disc. I guess it is for the ""lift" in the CD-changer... It moves to an unused slot when you press load. The other button is eject.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts