Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I know, I had told myself that I was NOT going to boost my 6... buuuuuut now I'm scheming :)

Eventually I plan to get an NC2 Miata and make a boosted track monster with 15psi+, and I know the 6 will never be THAT, but after reading about the Kraftwerks complete supercharger kit for that car started to inspire me to do that to the 6. Instead of gaining +140hp, with this motor I think we're looking at only gaining +50hp

GOALS/POWER:
A reasonable level of boost, figure at least +50hp, while maintaining longevity/daily-driver ability.

*UPDATE -
DRTuned will support tuning for forced induction for $999, possibly OVTune as well but no response yet.

VT-Racing - Anrot Industries
A new Chinese manufacturer (bunch of products released in june 2019) of twin/screw superchargers for dozens of models of car, most don't apply to American markets, but includes a kit for 2.0L and 2.5L Skyactiv motors.
BUT no pre-established path for sale in the US... working on it.

Kit is quoted at $4-5k + $1k for tune - so $5-6k total, for close to 300hp-crank...

COST: $4,200-$8,000 $2,400 Supercharger - Rotrex C30

Rotrex Superchargers build their boost gradually as RPMs rise, so it's very gentle stresses on the engine/trans/drive shafts.
Plan to lower the redline to aid longevity (at least down to 6000rpm, likely even lower on my buddy's cx5 with different pulley size to give more boost at lower rpms)
Reference: 16psi doubles air volume, so every 1psi is 6.25% more air volume.
Example range of boost/rpm that I think would be very safe.
@3000rpm 2psi +12% air volume , ~7% real HP gain
@6000rpm 8psi +48% air volume (Redline, peak possible boost), ~29% real HP gain
estimation that 70% of are volume increase converts to power gain, so in above example that's a peak of 29% power gain

Systems Considerations/Thoughts
  • AIR - Intake/Throttle body/MAF: Stays same - the 2.5L already uses the same one as the 2.5T, so I think that'll work.
  • FUEL - Injectors/Pump: Stays same - I'm assuming the existing injectors could handle +25% duty cycle. If needed may try to use injectors from the 2.5T version.
    • Water/Meth Injection - Will consider adding as this can dramatically boost effective octane, helping to offset effects of the increased boost pressure. Main motivator to potentially go this way is to increase safety/protection from detonation, but could also get more power.
  • TUNING - DRTuned will support forced induction tuning for $999, he said to expect over a dozen revisions as we safely extract more power
  • TRANSMISSION - should be ok, but going to change fluid more regularly to be cautious. AFAIK the same transmission is used in the 2.5T, all indications are that it can handle this just fine, again centrifugal supercharger characteristics make it super gentle on transmissions as it builds power gradually.
  • ENGINE - It's hard to know how much the internals of an engine can take, how over-engineered are the pistons/rods/connectors/etc. That's why I have lower power targets, given the already high compression nature of this engine it is not practical to expect to safely push more than 8psi.
    • Theoretically you could do a partial engine rebuild with pistons/parts from 2.5T to reduce mechanical compression ratio down to 10:1, allowing you to push 14psi, BUT at that point you'll need to upgrade to a different scale, so that is not in scope for this build.

Reactions: fernando8877

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What's your sense that the DGI components will support the airflow... and what about whether a tune can be done?
good question, added bullet list breakdown in starting post as these are core topics I should have had to start with (AIR/FUEL/TUNING/COOLING/TRANSMISSION/ENGINE)

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: TalonTsi90

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
@WoodinvilleDan are you getting my PMs? Or did i offend you and not know it?
Oops... Quoted the wrong person... oh well...

Dan thx for the detail. You certainly have thought about it. I think tuning and the compression ratio will be significant challenges. I think that only OVT has cracked the Skyactiv-G (non turbo) tuning... and I think it is complex to work with.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would be interesting to see this build. It's a smaller supercharger, compared to the Chinese one I was looking at awhile ago.
Will keep updating this thread as we progress (my buddy that's helping with bracket fabrication has a 2016 CX5 that we will likely try to do it to both since it's the same motor/trans).
I'm figuring it's a 2 year timeline, to get everything planned out and to carve out the cash to budget for this.

Yes, the physical compactness (6"x6") and gradual boost build make it very appealing for adding onto a non boost built motor.

I'm contacting a few folks to see who I could use to tune it, but given that supercharger are completely deterministic about what boost at a given RPM it is MUCH easier to tune for. That means the existing capabilities provided by MazdaEdit (OVTune, DRTuned, VividRacing, etc.) should be enough.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
added more content and better structure to starting post

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here are a few pics of that Chinese one to help motivate you. They sell it for $3768 and according to them adds 40% more power.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few pics of that Chinese one to help motivate you. They sell it for $3768 and according to them adds 40% more power.
That is fascinating, looks like a roots type super that takes the place of the intake manifold... Would be harsher on the engine with peak psi from very early rpm.

Has anyone installed this?
Where did you get those images from is there any info on English?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I contacted them last year and they seem to work alot with SUV"s. It's a twin screw supercharger type. I haven't seen anyone in the state's install one, just in the Asian countries. But they did ask which shop was going to install it, as they prefer it to be installed professionally.

The company is called VTracing twin screw supercharger and they are on Facebook.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I contacted them last year and they seem to work alot with SUV"s. It's a twin screw supercharger type. I haven't seen anyone in the state's install one, just in the Asian countries. But they did ask which shop was going to install it, as they prefer it to be installed professionally.

The company is called VTracing twin screw supercharger and they are on Facebook.
Thanks for the info I'll definitely contact them
constant psi, normally a good thing, but I'm very nervous about how this motor will handle it, it's know that the same boost at lower rpm is what will usually break something, so I think 6psi or less.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No problem, glad I'm able to help with some info. But I'm hoping you are able to develop a S/C kit for this platform.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem, glad I'm able to help with some info. But I'm hoping you are able to develop a S/C kit for this platform.
Well given the very limited space on the belt side of the engine I think this VTRacing kit is probably the way to go...
I looked around and found their Facebook
page, they sell kits for a bunch of Asian market cars with 30-40% power increase, that implies they're running 6psi, which would be very compelling

I'm cautious about the unknown nature/track record/ warranty

But I will be reaching out to them!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds good, let us know how it goes. To be honest I'd definitely look at getting this, if money was available. I'm still recovering from buying a house last summer.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Communication seems slow, so this may take a while, but here's what they shared with me thus far
1) video linked at bottom they first shared when I asked about supercharger for 2.5L skyactiv, show's them dyno'ing with some entertaining music :)
2) Pictures of claimed customer install

IMG-20210221-WA0003.jpg IMG-20210221-WA0004.jpg IMG-20210221-WA0006.jpg IMG-20210221-WA0002.jpg IMG-20210221-WA0000.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice, if it works.
Yes, I am VERY concerned this is 'vapor-ware'... but will keep pursuing, maybe it's real ;)

Either way I will be very cautious about how I approach this

Reactions: TalonTsi90
1 - 20 of 25 Posts