Mazda 6 Forums banner

What should i consider when buying a full-range amp?

• RMS power rating from known brands? (eg. CEA2006 compliant)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crossover slope? (18dB/Octave and above)

• Brand names?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah guys, as what i stated above, which one should i consider best i want more SQ but doesnt want to go with the stock amp route?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Yeah guys, as what i stated above, which one should i consider best i want more SQ but doesnt want to go with the stock amp route?
[/b]
There's no ONE thing that you should consider more than another. It's a combination of features that makes an amp effective.

I see that you already have an MTX amp on your subwoofers (at least that's what your signature says) I'm always a proponent of matching components in the system, so maybe you should look at matching MTX 4 channel amps.

What's your budget, and your overall goal for your system? There are a slew of very nice amps out there, ranging from very affordable to really pricey.

More information will help us help you.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i have the MTX amp for my subs... not that i dont like MTX, but i really would like to get better SQ from my components... and i would like to squeeze as much juice to my components as possible as well ...

JL 300/4 or 450/4 intrigues me... then kicker sx-series amp... or phoenix gold xenon series... all of them are ranging from 24dB/Oct to 36dB/Oct... but they are expensive as hell... any other good rec.?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Those are some good choices, and yes, they are very expensive. As far as SQ amps go, here are some other brands to look at: DLS, Xtant, Zapco, ESX, or anything made by Zed Audio.

As far as crossover slope goes, I defenitely wouldn't use that as my sole reason for buying an amp. Yes it's nice to have the a very steep crossover slope, but it's not a deciding factor for me.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow i thought the brands you listed out are more expensive and hard to get than the brands i listed out?? lol...

ehmm yeah true, but is it true that the steeper the slope, the better the sound quality is?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
ehmm yeah true, but is it true that the steeper the slope, the better the sound quality is?
[/b]
The crossover slope has nothing to do with the sound quality of the amp. A completely craptastic amp could have a 48dB/octave crossover on it, and an absolutley rediculous sound quality amp could have NO crossover on it.

What a steep crossover slope does is allows you to more abruptly cut off the frequencies your speakers are reproducing, and while this can be a good thing, it doesn't have any effect on making an amp sound better. It might make your speakers sound a little better, since they will get less lows, but like I said, it's not a deciding factor for me.

Crossover slope is measured in dB/octave. So with a 12dB/octave slope, for every octave that you go down from the crossover point, you'll lose 12 decibels of output. With a 24 dB/octave it will go down 24dB every octave. So the frequencies below the crossover point become quieter much quicker with the steeper slope.

This is a processing function of the amp, not a function of the actual amplifier section, so while having a good crossover is important, it's not going to make an amp sound good. 12dB/octave is pretty much a standard, and most higher end amps will include 24dB/octave crossovers. But like I said, that alone doesn't make them a good amplifier.

The amps you listed before are all very nice, and I'm sure you would be happy with them. If you gave me a pricerange, I could see what I can find for SQ amps in your pricerange.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm i c... now i get it... so it's not the crossover that really control the SQ huh.... btw, i saw a review on a high end phass amp a while back... they are rated at 45x2 @4ohm for like 2000USD over.... and they have break in period of 300hours.... crazy...

but anyway, i just want the cheapest amp that will really give me good SQ... mbquart is way out of my league for example... jl and kicker, i could probably consider it when their price is lowered... and phoenix gold, i think the price is good enough, but they are not dynamically powered like the jl... i love zapco, but their price is crazy and they are hard to find...

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
i know your pretty smart tim and not trying to put you down...but imma go ahead and point out the obvious as i am once again drinking...<sigh> i cut up my credit card by the way...

since i guess you have the non-bose system, find out whats the max you can hit your speakers out, and match it up with an amp with has maybe another 10 or 20 watts RMS over the max of the speakers this way it'll be loud...as far as SQ not to sure...but i'm just thinkign what i'd do....

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know your pretty smart tim and not trying to put you down...but imma go ahead and point out the obvious as i am once again drinking...<sigh> i cut up my credit card by the way...

since i guess you have the non-bose system, find out whats the max you can hit your speakers out, and match it up with an amp with has maybe another 10 or 20 watts RMS over the max of the speakers this way it'll be loud...as far as SQ not to sure...but i'm just thinkign what i'd do....
[/b]
ehmm i dont think i care how much power my components can take, and i believe in 100-120W RMS if i m not mistaken, it's not loud that i really care for, it's just the SQ for amp.... if i want it loud, i could just get a random amp and push the components... but SQ is really my priority... but thanks for the input tho...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
ehmm i dont think i care how much power my components can take, and i believe in 100-120W RMS if i m not mistaken, it's not loud that i really care for, it's just the SQ for amp.... if i want it loud, i could just get a random amp and push the components... but SQ is really my priority... but thanks for the input tho...
[/b]
They take 60 watts RMS, 120 peak.

I'm going to go ahead and reccomend these amps again. You just CAN'T beat the price, and these are high quality amps. Search around and see what they're going for elsewhere. Also, a guy on the Parts Express forum has taken them apart, and says that the internals are of pretty high quality. He's a pretty trusted guy over there. Hell, for 100 bucks, I don't see how you could go wrong!

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&D...aura+amp&wt.sv1

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow... that's cheap... so this amp is good?

·
Registered
215 Posts
that's the word on the street
[/b]
Word is those aura amps are zed designed. I had the polyglass on both 50 and later 75 watts rms from my zapcos and 50 is all they really need. Ig get the cheap aura 4 channel while its still available.

For highpass, 12 db slope is fine if youre not bi amping the mids and tweets.

get the aura

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
Tyroneshoes
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing