Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!!!

So i'm going to have around $20,000 to put into a Mazdaspeed6. After doing MUCH MUCH MUCH research I've decided to find a MS6 Grand Touring. It has every option I want and most importantly is AWD, turbo and a 6spd!!! Oh, and it's a Mazda :)

So I've got a few questions about the car that I cannot seem to find an easy answer to online or on forums...

1. Was it assembled in Japan or Flatrock, MI? I've seen both online...? Which is it?

2. An 07 should still have a warranty on it, correct? I'm hoping to have AT LEAST a year or two of warranty. If i read correctly, the 07 even has a better warranty then the 06, plus it's a model year newer, so I'd for sure hopefully get a few years of warranty.

3. Aux input? I know the Mazda 3's have an aux 1/8th input in the glove box. I cannot seem to find if this has one stock. I'm looking at buying a xcarlink set up for my iphone when I buy the car as that seems to be a good solution. Anyone use bluetooth with a xcarlink? The main reason I ask about the 1/8th is I plan to fly to buy the car (not too many in Iowa) and I'm going to travel when I find the right one and it'd be great to have an 1/8th input for the way home :)

4. OVERSTEER?!? I've read a few things about the car being able to light up all four even on dry pavement. Now I'm not saying I want to go out and drift the car, but having driven an 03 WRX for years, I'm was always dissatisfied with the lack of oversteer. The car will ONLY understeer unless it's in snow. When at the limit, this is simply boring... Anyone got some input for me here?

5. Anyone got navi on theirs? I cannot seem to find any opinions on the navi unit. Is it worth even looking for? Is it worth avoiding?!? Any input there would be awesome :)

Thanks so much for all your help! Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Hey guys!!!

So i'm going to have around $20,000 to put into a Mazdaspeed6. After doing MUCH MUCH MUCH research I've decided to find a MS6 Grand Touring. It has every option I want and most importantly is AWD, turbo and a 6spd!!! Oh, and it's a Mazda :)

So I've got a few questions about the car that I cannot seem to find an easy answer to online or on forums...

1. Was it assembled in Japan or Flatrock, MI? I've seen both online...? Which is it?

2. An 07 should still have a warranty on it, correct? I'm hoping to have AT LEAST a year or two of warranty. If i read correctly, the 07 even has a better warranty then the 06, plus it's a model year newer, so I'd for sure hopefully get a few years of warranty.

3. Aux input? I know the Mazda 3's have an aux 1/8th input in the glove box. I cannot seem to find if this has one stock. I'm looking at buying a xcarlink set up for my iphone when I buy the car as that seems to be a good solution. Anyone use bluetooth with a xcarlink? The main reason I ask about the 1/8th is I plan to fly to buy the car (not too many in Iowa) and I'm going to travel when I find the right one and it'd be great to have an 1/8th input for the way home :)

4. OVERSTEER?!? I've read a few things about the car being able to light up all four even on dry pavement. Now I'm not saying I want to go out and drift the car, but having driven an 03 WRX for years, I'm was always dissatisfied with the lack of oversteer. The car will ONLY understeer unless it's in snow. When at the limit, this is simply boring... Anyone got some input for me here?

5. Anyone got navi on theirs? I cannot seem to find any opinions on the navi unit. Is it worth even looking for? Is it worth avoiding?!? Any input there would be awesome :)

Thanks so much for all your help! Sorry for all the questions!
1. every ms6 was made in japan, then shipped here.

2. 06 had a 4yr/50k and 07 has a 3yr/40k so they both expire at the same time which is dependent on when the owner bought the car and miles.

3.no aux stock but you can make one for 15 bucks. theres a how-to on here

4. this car understeers from the factory but with light suspension mods and a RSB, it evens up very nicely.

5. i have the navi and love it. its useless for POI but for getting where i want to go it works very well. also nice to have the auto flip up/down and 7 inch screen. i use it all the time esp at night. you also cant buy a DD dash kit for this car so you cant go aftermarket and would be stock with a POS windshield unit. you can also upgrade the navi disk to the 09 for like 20 bucks from a member on here.

gl and welcome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure about that warranty? I'd seen things saying the 07 had a 5/60k warranty? Anyone else got input about that warranty?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Skater is right. The 06's had a longer warranty period. Only way you will benefit from any of these is if the prevous owner bought an extended warranty that can be transfered over. Both years should be getting ready to run out on factory warranties. There is a guy on msf selling his speed6 for 13.5k. 41k miles on it. Clean car. Most you will find for around 15-20k so your better off finding a cheaper one and putting the other money towards mods if thats what you plan on doing. Oh, and welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
100% sure about the warranty. and +1 on this other kids car if your looking. hes a well respected member on here who treated the car well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have NOT had the option of test driving one :/ The closest one is over 200 miles away and I'm not the kind of person to go and drive one with out immediate intent of buying that one. I've had to base my purchase entirely on reviews...

I'll check out that car on here!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
There has got to be 1 near you somewhere! I'll pm you a link to the guys car.

Edit: Didn't realize he had posted it on here as well. Check the cars for sale sextion.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
where u from cowboy?

·
Registered
169 Posts
As for warranty, if you want one, find a Mazda certified pre-owned MS6. My warranty has 2yrs left on it and it's all the way to 100k.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hey guys!!!

As superskater said the NAV is quite good but mysteriously horrible with POI. I'm also a huge fan of it being motorized flip up/down, it's really nice to be able to put it away when not in use, especially at night.

I don't know if most people know this but it's actually the same NAV as what comes with Eclipse aftemarket head units and Eclipse is VERY well respected. I had put a double din AVN550 in my 01 GTI I had prior to buying my speed6, and I notice the maps all looked the same so I tried my eclipse disk in my speed6. It actually worked in the Mazda system and here's the rub, the POI was far superior. That disk for instance knows there is store out there called Target. The only problems are the voice commands don't work (which I mute anyway, messes up my music) and the displayed POI, say you want to display all gas stations, doesn't work. The searching POI works and as already mentioned is way better than what mazda bought and provided from the system creators. The work's been done, the data's there, Mazda just cheaped out on us.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am considering switching to MS6 too. Was looking for a vin# translator but can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone could help?

EDIT: ok, I guess we can skip that. These where all build in Hofu, Japan...vin doesn't seem to show exact month of production only the actual car # built in particualr year so if last 4 say 5000 ...well it's car # 5000 in that year ...so jumping between vin's you can tell which one is younger but I think no way to tell exaclty if it's a late 06 or not ???

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
theres a vin decoder in the service manual.

and the nav software is made by navteq which is the same company that does google maps

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
2006 warranty - 4/50k
2007 warranty - 3/36k bumper-bumper and 5/60k powertrain

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sweet, I'll consider a speed with NAVI. I live in NE Iowa... I'm actually going to the twin cities this weekend, so I might arrange for a test drive then. That's cool to hear about the navi no sucking :)

I have a feeling it'd be very hard to find a Mazda Certified Warranty one... but who knows? :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
what mica said

I own a 07 speed 6, 3yr/36k bumper to bumper and 5yr/60k powertrain

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have NOT had the option of test driving one :/ The closest one is over 200 miles away and I'm not the kind of person to go and drive one with out immediate intent of buying that one. I've had to base my purchase entirely on reviews...

I'll check out that car on here!
There was an 06 black MS6 for sale in east Iowa. I test drove that one a few months ago if you are considering that one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There is no AUX input... but for about $10, you can make one from parts found at Radio Shack. There are a couple writeups on this... basically, the connector/harness you make plugs into the back of the stock headunit and activates the AUX button on the headunit... the plug your put anywhere you want or run a cable out through a crack in the dash molding. It's a very simple mod, but will not help you on the drive home.

You're not gonna light up all 4 on dry pavement in this car. Even mentioning drifting indicates to me you've been terribly misled on the capabilities of this car. You may get a some amount of slip out of one of the fronts and a chirp from the other, and a 6k rpm clutch dump might chirp the rears from a dead standstill... but a 4-wheel burnout off the line is out of the question.

And as far as driving this car "at the limit" on the street... are you sure? Without some serious suspension mods, the "limit" of this car can be found quite easily backing out of your driveway. It's still a fairly heavy mid-size sedan after all... and although it's had the Zoom-Zoom treatment, it's roots still come from 140hp front-wheel drive. Are you sure the MS6 is what you want?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts