Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be buying a new car soon... And the 6 is definitely on the radar.

I've got some questions for all of you happy (or unhappy) 6 owners:

- What's new in the '07s? I know I can get a great deal on an '06 right now, so that is a strong motivator to go for the '06... However, I do have a deal through work that'll get me around $1500-$2000 off MSRP on an '07 if I chose to go that route. If there's a significant enough difference, I'd go for the '07.

- I'm thinking the v6, manual. It looks like the wagon doesn't come in manual... Is that true?
I feel like I've seen conflicting reports on this, but I'm not sure. If it doesn't, then it'll be the 5-door because I love hatchbacks.

- Subaru is a pretty strong competitor - for those of you who considered a subie, why'd you go for a 6 over an impreza wagon or impreza wrx wagon?

- Looks like the speed6 doesn't come in 5 door, correct?

- Comfort is a key consideration in our new car: Our focus isn't so great for long trips. This is a personal question that I'll have to answer mostly by test driving, but that won't tell me how it is on a 5 hour drive... How do you feel the comfort is? How do you feel it compares to other cars?

- Is it possible to install the navigation system into the dashboard flip-up storage in a non-grand touring model (whether by the dealer or by myself)? I don't particularly need all the other stuff that the more expensive trims offer, but I would like GPS. I could buy a 3rd party brand, but since the accessory one fits so nicely I'd rather do that.

I think that's a good start.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
- What's new in the '07s? I know I can get a great deal on an '06 right now, so that is a strong motivator to go for the '06... However, I do have a deal through work that'll get me around $1500-$2000 off MSRP on an '07 if I chose to go that route. If there's a significant enough difference, I'd go for the '07.
[/b]
There really isn't that much different between a '06 and '07, besides option package and color changes. For all intents and purposes, they're pretty much the same.
- I'm thinking the v6, manual. It looks like the wagon doesn't come in manual... Is that true?
[/b]
The MTX is available for the '06 wagon, but NOT for '07.
- Looks like the speed6 doesn't come in 5 door, correct?
[/b]
Correct. :yesnod:
- Comfort is a key consideration in our new car: Our focus isn't so great for long trips. This is a person question that I'll have to answer mostly by test driving, but that won't tell me how it is on a 5 hour drive... How do you feel the comfort is? How do you feel it compares to other cars?
[/b]
Test drive it to be sure for you, but for me, long trips are no problem. I'm pretty comfortable behind the wheel, and can go hours without stopping.

·
Registered
459 Posts
There really isn't that much different between a '06 and '07, besides option package and color changes. For all intents and purposes, they're pretty much the same.

The MTX is available for the '06 wagon, but NOT for '07.

Correct. :yesnod:

Test drive it to be sure for you, but for me, long trips are no problem. I'm pretty comfortable behind the wheel, and can go hours without stopping.
[/b]
:yesnod: Agreed

·
Registered
978 Posts
I considered the legacy and impreza, but the looks of interior and exterior of the wrx was a bit of a turn off to me. i did like the handling and engine of the wrx though. in the end, i wanted something with a bit more room and something that was a bit more refined (read - looked better). it's nice having the good styling of a sedan with the huge storage of a hatch.

I bought my car at the end of 05, so the deals then were pretty amazing...if you can get 5k or more off of msrp on the 06's, that's hard to argue with.

One other thing about the 6 is that you won't have to get premium. gas mileage with my 2.5 boxter legacy non-turbo (similar to what the impreza has now) was worse than my v-6 hatchback probably b/c awd in the wrx robs fuel, and I'll admit I am driving faster than before. Also, Subie seats leave a bit to be desired for me (I've read several mags that have had the same complaints as me about Subie's seats); left my back and hamstrings sore.

Both cars, though, are fun to drive as they both handle well, have good steering without being too harsh.

I have seen some pics by some members who have installed mapping systems in the dashboard storage...can't remember what they used though.

I know some people who stress out about buying a new car, but personally, I think it's a blast. You're going to be able to get a new toy that you get to use every day! So good luck in your search!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know some people who stress out about buying a new car, but personally, I think it's a blast. You're going to be able to get a new toy that you get to use every day! So good luck in your search!
[/b]
I'm afraid I'm one of those. It's such an expensive item, and it involves so many trade-offs. For example, the side-impact ratings on the 6 aren't very good, but at the same time they were done without the side airbags that would come standard on the v6..... So are they valid at all?

I'll do some test driving this week/weekend and see what I think from that... Every time I car shop, I remember how much I hate it. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
A co-worker of mine has a WRX/STi sedan. It's certainly fast as hell, but much smaller inside than the 6. The 6 compares better to the Subie Legacy, the WRX is similar in size the to 3.

Ditto the comments on gas. WRX needs premium and my friend is lucky to get 20 mpg with the beast. He does surprise many a Mustang/Camaro owner with his machine, if you're into that.

Additionally, he got 3 speeding tickets in the first 6 months driving it.

To me, the 6 is a much more 'grown up' vehicle. If you can find a manual 6 wagon, grab one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A co-worker of mine has a WRX/STi sedan. It's certainly fast as hell, but much smaller inside than the 6. The 6 compares better to the Subie Legacy, the WRX is similar in size the to 3.

Ditto the comments on gas. WRX needs premium and my friend is lucky to get 20 mpg with the beast. He does surprise many a Mustang/Camaro owner with his machine, if you're into that.
[/b]
Yep, I figured that one out eventually. The impreza's much smaller. The 2007 legacy 2.5i (non-turbo) wagon compares somewhat favorably. Its engine is a little stronger than the '06, and is within reasonable range. About the same price, a little smaller inside it looks like. I'll have to try it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
My last 6 got totalled and I had the option of doing it all over again. I test drove the Legacy GT. Loved the power, but hated the interior..... I also really wanted steering wheel audio controls.

Once you test drive the 2 cars, you will see the interior of the 6 is much much more well designed and refined.

I wish my 6 had a 2.5L turbo engine though.......

In the end, I had a chek for 20,000 from my insurance company and went and bought another 6.

·
Registered
978 Posts
For example, the side-impact ratings on the 6 aren't very good, but at the same time they were done without the side airbags that would come standard on the v6..... So are they valid at all?

[/b]
europe has crash tests like the US does, and they did test the 6 with side airbags in side impacts and it did very well. in their ratings (just like in the US), frontal impacts were very good, but side impacts actually rated better. now i'm not saying that the 6 is safer than the legacy in side impacts, because I don't think it would be. but the difference is minor imo. both vehicles are quite safe based on the research that I did before buying. but i do have to say that the mazda marketing execs are idiots for not providing vehicles that have side airbags for testing in the US. but I blame ford for that...they do that a lot with ford products too.

I forgot that the legacy does not have steering wheel controls...now that I have them, it would suck not to. not that reaching over is all that hard, but it's nice not to have to take my eyes off the road or taking my hands off the wheel to find controls by brail :p also, the feature in the 6 where volume adjusts itself up and down depending on how fast you go is pretty cool too. and just so you know, the 6 hatchback has only 3 cubic feet less room than the wagon! so unless you're hauling long tall stuff, it can store a lot!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I am superficial. I bought the 6 purely on the looks and its one of the best looking sedans in this pricerange if not the best.

Was satisfied from the day I got it. I can get used to any interior so that really wasn't an issue. Any car will feel different when you first get in, but you get used to it just like buying a new bike, so its all relative to me. I was happy with the options and got the V6 manual myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh, well I posted a similar message to the forums of legacygt.com and so far the replies from them have been "Buy the 6."

So I'll investigate those european crash test ratings and maybe pick up a nicely equipped 2006! :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Heh, well I posted a similar message to the forums of legacygt.com and so far the replies from them have been "Buy the 6."

So I'll investigate those european crash test ratings and maybe pick up a nicely equipped 2006! :)
[/b]
really? did they say why they'd recommend getting the 6 over what they got?

european crash test link

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, most of them got the Legacy GT, which is the 250hp turbo version.

A couple people have now replied saying they did choose the subaru over the mazda. Reliability was one comment. Other stuff was mostly the personal stuff I'll have to decide on like interior comfort and styling.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hey Supagoat, welcome. I've been a member since 2002 but haven't pulled the trigger on a 6 since my car is paid for right now. Someday, I will buy a 6 though.

I too am debating an 06 vs an 07 hatchback (ie if my current car continues to last I'll be forced to an 07). There aren't too many differences but here are some that might make a difference:

- I want a sunroof and no leather. With option combinations, that can only happen in an 06. In 07, you need to get leather to get a sunroof.

- The warranties are different. 06 is 4yr and 07 is 5yr powertrain and 3yr everything else. Cars.com can show you the warranty difference.

Good luck!
BTW, deals can be had on 06s. The FIRST offer I got for the dealer I contacted offered dealer cost minus rebates (dealer cost = invoice - 2%xMSRP). For the 6 I'm looking at, that's $5,700 off MSRP before haggling.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I'll go with 6's to avoid with the plague...I am not happy with my decision in the Car that I got.

Any 6i around 2003-2004 ATX ....you will be unhappy trust me, it's a money pot to get it decent and still I am not satisfied!!!

6s's built in 2003 had major issues...

6's to definate get your hands on!!

6i in 2006 is the best place to start because you get an extra gear, way more responsive

Mazdaspeed6 - Never have i ever driven in something so awesome, interior on point, speed on point, AWD...best buy of 2006

6s 2005 - Best mazda you could ever get period.

other mazda's

Mazda 3i - Sllllllllllloooooow and weakkkkkkkkkk!!!

Mazda 3s sedan bodystyle - the car that I should have gotten in the first place!!!

2007 Mazdaspeed3 - a bitch car, you'd rather wanna pet it than drive it

CX-7 Fuck this sport SUV...I drove it..I hate it

Mazda 5 - Fuck this family wagon....Mazda you are slipping big tyme

RX-8 - bad gas milage, but damn...I love this car!!! you will too ^_^

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll go with 6's to avoid with the plague...I am not happy with my decision in the Car that I got.

6s 2005 - Best mazda you could ever get period.
[/b]
I'm definitely looking only at the 6s MTX. Is there a reason the 2005 is superior to the 2006 in your view? (not that I have a choice - I'm buying new, and 2006 is the current steal)

·
Registered
102 Posts
"- Comfort is a key consideration in our new car: Our focus isn't so great for long trips. This is a personal question that I'll have to answer mostly by test driving, but that won't tell me how it is on a 5 hour drive... How do you feel the comfort is? How do you feel it compares to other cars?"

The seats feel good initially, better than the Subaru's, but I've found there's too much pressure on the backs of my legs after an hour or so. I find myself wanting to put my feet on the floor closer to the seat for relief. No amount of fiddling with the power controls will eliminate it without compromising other areas of support. My '97 Explorer was a comfortable all day cruiser.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts