Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have my car, a '17 Mazda6, off the road currently... and based on where it's parked I can't currently take it for a spin with a temporary license (my strong preference). So, now, after sitting (with a battery tender in use) for ~2-1/2 mos. I started it up for, mebe, 15 mins. I store it with a plugged-off intake snorkel (what with rodents and all) - but on starting it today I forgot to remove the urethane (closed-cell) foam blocking "plug". I started and ran it for some 5 mins or so like that, 'til I realized it and quickly removed the "plug"...

Two questions:
1) how could it have started and run (is there a secondary inlet to this snorkel, upstream of the air filter panel)? Or is there a relief induction valve somewhere in the system? Filtered vs. unfiltered? and
2) could I have done any damage, say like collapsing the intake filter panel, or did I run lean mixture conditions, super-heating the head/valves?

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I can't answer your question but you gave me an idea about that "cover". Since it became a habit of mine to remove my CTEK trickle charger before starting the car, I don't think I'll be in a similar situation.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
884 Posts
There is no such thing as a bypass, unfiltered air should not be allowed into the engine.
Air will leak in through all available gaps, I doubt that plug has such a tight fit and it should allow enough air in to idle. If you were to rev it up the engine will eventually "choke" and will only run to certain rpms.
A lean condition comes from not having enough fuel to air ratio. Your case would have been the opposite (rich condition).
Read this:
A rich mixture is more common and not necessarily detrimental to your engine. In the case of a slightly rich mixture, you may notice reduced engine efficiency and worse fuel economy, but the rich mixture will generate more power and actually burn cooler. You may also notice, in this case, that there is a distinct sulpher or ‘rotten egg’ smell that is omitted from the exhaust, and/or black smoke.
In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. Next time you run it, let it idle for 10 minutes for it to relearn the idle condition without air restrictions.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I have my car, a '17 Mazda6, off the road currently... and based on where it's parked I can't currently take it for a spin with a temporary license (my strong preference). So, now, after sitting (with a battery tender in use) for ~2-1/2 mos. I started it up for, mebe, 15 mins. I store it with a plugged-off intake snorkel (what with rodents and all) - but on starting it today I forgot to remove the urethane (closed-cell) foam blocking "plug". I started and ran it for some 5 mins or so like that, 'til I realized it and quickly removed the "plug"...

Two questions:
1) how could it have started and run (is there a secondary inlet to this snorkel, upstream of the air filter panel)? Or is there a relief induction valve somewhere in the system? Filtered vs. unfiltered? and
2) could I have done any damage, say like collapsing the intake filter panel, or did I run lean mixture conditions, super-heating the head/valves?

TIA
No, theres plenty of loose connections on that snorkel to let enough air in.

In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about. Next time you run it, let it idle for 10 minutes for it to relearn the idle condition without air restrictions.
No, not remotely a "thing". It takes more than a few mins at idle to change anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Two questions:

TIA
There's a small hole on the belly of the airbox

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx TechMaster6... This makes a lot of sense. The snorkel needs a low-point (water) drain... obviously...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts