Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been puzzled by two recent events and would appreciate your input:

Just as some have mentioned, I was surprised to discover that the coolant level in my 7-weeks old 2006 MS6 (with 3300 miles on it) has dropped to below the min level, but I did not detect some sort of leaks though. I did a search on this forum, then began to call upon various local Mazda dealers to find out the correct coolant to top off the reservoir, and these are the answers I got -- red-colored one, green-colored one, Mazda coolant, or just "coolant". I decided to purchase a gallon of pre-mixed Mazda coolant from a nearest dealership, however, the bottle indicates "FL-22" type (which is NOT printed on my radiator cap and was not supposed to be used according to manual). I confirmed that with the staff and was shown their document on which the Mazda FL-22 coolant is indeed specified for "2006 MS6". Should I believe it and just use it, or should I go get Dex-cool or Prestone extended-life coolant instead from Target store?

The 2nd concern I have is the poor MPG I recently observed. I used to consistently achieve 23 MPG on average (mixed city and highway driving) but have observed the sudden drop in gas mileage to 18 MPG with the last 2 refills. My driving habit remains the same, which is very gentle. The outdoor temperature did drop from 45~70F to 30~50F in recent days. My question is whether such sudden drop in MPG is normal in lower temperature, or is it due to other causes or even the loss of coolant?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm wonder about the coolant also. I was under the impression from what it said in the manual that we didn't use the FL-22 coolant (whatever that is) because like you said, it was printed nowhere I could see in the engine bay. As for the gas milage, I suppose the car could be running more rich, flowing more fuel for the cooler denser air, tho 5mpg seems kinda steep.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wonder about the coolant also. I was under the impression from what it said in the manual that we didn't use the FL-22 coolant (whatever that is) because like you said, it was printed nowhere I could see in the engine bay. As for the gas milage, I suppose the car could be running more rich, flowing more fuel for the cooler denser air, tho 5mpg seems kinda steep.
[/b]
I am not as technically inclined to know the exact difference between FL-22 and other types, and I believe that those at service and parts dept. may be equally confused judging from all kinds of answers I got. I compared what the labels on Mazda coolant and on Prestone's and Dex-Cool's and found them to be quite similar, all ethylene-glycol based without silicate and other additives, just as indicated in owner's manual. I plan to open the bottle to see what color it is. I wonder if damage/disaster as a result of dealer's mis-information is covered under warranty?

I agree that 5 mpg seems steep. The temperature once or twice dropped to the mid-30's in previous weeks but had no effect on the gas mileage.

·
Registered
595 Posts
the gas stations in your area must have switched to the winter blend gas. You will see a significant decrease in gas mileage when using it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i was under the impression that most coolants were the same. at autozone and other automotive stores they sell only a couple different brands of coolant, most of which say that they are good for all cars.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well mine was down a little bit when I took delivery, so I just filled it with 50:50 GREEN EG prestone and distilled water, with a little water wetter in it too, you know to promote lubricity and all. I'm all about the lubricity of my fluids :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
+1 on the Colder temps/Winter blend fuel = worse MPG. Check at the pump and see if there is a disclaimer about using a winter blend between certain dates of the year. Out here in Vegas we get a 10% ethanol blend between Oct. and Feb.. My VW's VR6 MPG and top end power went to shit when this happened, and as far as MPG, the Speed6 is no exception :( . The reduced emissions stuff is BS I think. Rather, I'd guess it's a way for the oil companies/refineries to recoup their lower profits during the slow winter driving months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I was not aware of the "winter blend fuel" so thanks for pointing that out. Knowing that, I will at least have some peace of mind knowing that the car is still in good shape without other hidden problem to worry about. I will pay more attention at the gas pump today and will top off coolant reservoir with Mazda coolant and will report back.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My mileage dropped in the past month as well- I haven't seen the signs saying the gas has been oxygenated yet(?) I'm averaging 16 mpg , down from 18's usually. Last tank was at 13.5!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been puzzled by two recent events and would appreciate your input:

Just as some have mentioned, I was surprised to discover that the coolant level in my 7-weeks old 2006 MS6 (with 3300 miles on it) has dropped to below the min level, but I did not detect some sort of leaks though. I did a search on this forum, then began to call upon various local Mazda dealers to find out the correct coolant to top off the reservoir, and these are the answers I got -- red-colored one, green-colored one, Mazda coolant, or just "coolant". I decided to purchase a gallon of pre-mixed Mazda coolant from a nearest dealership, however, the bottle indicates "FL-22" type (which is NOT printed on my radiator cap and was not supposed to be used according to manual). I confirmed that with the staff and was shown their document on which the Mazda FL-22 coolant is indeed specified for "2006 MS6". Should I believe it and just use it, or should I go get Dex-cool or Prestone extended-life coolant instead from Target store?

The 2nd concern I have is the poor MPG I recently observed. I used to consistently achieve 23 MPG on average (mixed city and highway driving) but have observed the sudden drop in gas mileage to 18 MPG with the last 2 refills. My driving habit remains the same, which is very gentle. The outdoor temperature did drop from 45~70F to 30~50F in recent days. My question is whether such sudden drop in MPG is normal in lower temperature, or is it due to other causes or even the loss of coolant?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
[/b]
First, thanks to all who replied trying to help.

Here is the update -- I opened the newly purchased Mazda FL-22 coolant and found it to be in green color, just like the one already filled in the coolant researvoir, so I went ahead and topped it off through the researvoir cap. I also found the connecting tubing at the radiator end a bit loose, similar to what others have reported, so I will monitor closely the potential leaks overtime or simply tighten it at some point.

I later received an email from one Mazda dealer who confirmed that the "FL-22 type green coolant" from Mazda is the correct coolant specified for "2006 Mazdaspeed 6", according to their service document, so that further confirmed what I saw on the Mazda document when purchasing the coolant. Upon reseach online, I also found that most coolant-related information seems to indicate that coolant of different colors are not supposed to be mixed.

Hope this is helpful for those who are looking for the same information for their 2006 MS6.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Go have them check the hoses. When I took delivery I read on here there was a hose leak/clamp issue. I Took mine in and sure enough there was a leak and they ordered the clamp got it fixed and now no issues.

I can't believe you all are getting such harsh MPG.. I am averaging about 25-26 mpg.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I can't believe you all are getting such harsh MPG.. I am averaging about 25-26 mpg.
[/b]
How many stoplights/signs do you go through on a typical drive? I get much better mileage driving in rural areas - but that makes up less than 10% of the gas I burn.

·
Registered
979 Posts
about 10-12 a day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go have them check the hoses. When I took delivery I read on here there was a hose leak/clamp issue. I Took mine in and sure enough there was a leak and they ordered the clamp got it fixed and now no issues.

[/b]
That's wonderful that you achieve 25-26 mpg on daily driving. Care to share any driving tip for that? I consider myself a very gentle driver and have tried hard to shift gears within 300 rpm, but still that's what I've been getting.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
So, I just go to an automotive store and ask for FL-22 type green coolant?

Wait a min, I just bought the car and my coolant is already almost to the low line. Should I take it in for warranty work? I don't think they should deliver a car that's low on coolant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I just go to an automotive store and ask for FL-22 type green coolant?

Wait a min, I just bought the car and my coolant is already almost to the low line. Should I take it in for warranty work? I don't think they should deliver a car that's low on coolant.
[/b]
My experience is limited with Mazda brand coolant only and cannot speak for all the FL-22 coolant out there, but I've heard that some used the Prestone brand green coolant without problem.

As others have pointed out, slow leaks from the connecting tubing at the end of the radiator cap is the cause and is covered under the warranty. I personally have not done that, but others brought their in and got fixed. Some posts in Forum also suggest fix this minor problem with clamp (DIY).

For me, I did not check the coolant level when I took my car from Grecco Mazda in NJ so I have no way to verify that. I will just need to monitor the level closely from now on, or put a clamp on it. BTW, just for the record, I've found Grecco Mazda some of the sneakest and unpleasant Mazda car dealership.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am a bit of a wussy driver! I do about 80% highway driving I guess...

As for coolant levels I Would still reccomend getting the hoses checked. I speak from experience that was my problem and it was all solved by warranty, and no hassle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a mazda 6 s 2003 and it did not come with green coolant in it. it was red or something to that cool. can anyone recommend the right coolant brand to buy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a mazda 6 s 2003 and it did not come with green coolant in it. it was red or something to that cool. can anyone recommend the right coolant brand to buy
[/b]
I would suggest that you do a search in forum or call service department of few Mazda dealderships to confirm the right coolant for your particular model. You can even buy from them directly, just like I did (after confirming with a couple of dealerships around). Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts