Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6 is on my list of considerations, but two things concen me.

Firstly, where does Mazda stop and Ford start? it would deeply concern me if it was injected with Fords so-called reliability.

Secondly, the car is an entirely new platform. Traditionally, as I understand it, new platforms usually have problems to be worked out.

--applejax

·
Registered
38 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Concerns about the 6'

I guess that depends on how you look at it. I'm sure it is mostly Mazda with some Ford overseeing it. The I4 is a Mazda innovation, while the V6 is a Ford engine with some slight modifications by Mazda. So there is more Ford in the V6 version of the Mazda6 and less in the I4. How much is hard to say, because we aren't part of the corporate structure.

It is a new platform, but it still has its roots in the 626. It's not like it is totally new, and Mazda isn't a new car company. It should still rock even with problems. If you want to talk about service bulletins, I can show you a list for a Benz 230C and one for the Neon. The one for the Benz is longer. Does that make the neon a better car? Hell no!

I'm sure it will be fine, Mazda makes good cars, even if they lack in some areas.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, toad, I did post something similar in the RX8 forum. I was wondering if we had any other cross-visitors. :D

I didn't expect such a complete reply in the RX8 forum, and originally doubled up my posts to obtain more info.

The 6 also has me concerned with the fact that it's a new platform. I've had bad luck with new platforms.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

But, after rereading the previous post again, the 6 is as much a new platform as the 8. That is slightly more comforting...but not totally so...

And the 6 cyl. is more Ford? Darn, that's the one I was considering!

·
Registered
577 Posts

The Duratec V6 is a great engine. I am a member of the New Edge Cougar Owners club and there are no owners that I have heard of that had their engines just die on them out of nowhere. Many people had their engines blow up because of faulty oil filters that lost their seal and the engine lost its oil very quickly. Thus resulting in the engine seizing up and spinning its bearings.

The V6 likes to rev, especially when you add mods to it, and it will be a very smooth engine. It will sound throaty and sporty as well, I hope you like that. But I wouldnt be concerned with the engine at all.

Nikolas

·
Registered
48 Posts

:D I saw it on the RX-8 forum too :p

I heard from my dealer that the Tribute (=Ford Maverick/Escape) and the 121 (=Ford Fiesta) has the most problems :( But the new Fords are quite relayeble too, so that won't be such a problem. AND; Mazda always refines the engines

·
Registered
38 Posts

But the engine in the Tribute is the same engine going into the Mazda6. I don't know if the modifications that they made to the engine went into the Tribute. As far as I know it didn't, but still, if the Tribute is having problems, the V6 in the Mazda6 might have problems as well. It might make me want to get the I4 that is a product of Mazda Japan. I have a wait and see attitude, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

For those of you who are worried or concerned about the reliability of the 3.0 liter Duratec, here are a few facts:
1. The block and basic technology is sourced from Ford. This block is from all reports a very capable engine. Most complaints have come in the area of NVH and underlying fears about Ford reliability. In most cars, the engine block is the last thing you worry about as far as reliability goes. Engine block failures are rare. I'm sure Nikolas from Duratec performance can speak to the strengths of this block (although he may be a bit biased) :)
2. Mazda, having been burned with the Tribute has a very clear understanding of what their customers want, and what their customers want is not a sniff of Fordiness in their Mazda's. This goes for me too!
The following is an excerpt from the Cars Everything preview showcasing the engineering that went into the V-6. You can see that Mazda did several things to address NVH:
A. Silent drive chain
B. Structural cast aluminum oil pan
C. Iron cylinder liners and four main bearing caps and two longitudinal stiffening rails

Although personally I am waiting for the turbo 2.3l MazdaSpeed 6, I'm not overly worried about the V-6. I just wish that if they were going to use a V-6, they would bring back the Miller cycle V-6 from the Millenia. But that's another can of worms altogether!

New 3.0-liter V-6

The new Mazda 6 also offers a higher performance gasoline engine, a 3.0-liter aluminum V-6, optimized for low-friction efficiency and high power and torque output. The 24-valve engine also is equipped with sequential valve timing.