Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is my setup, with a following question.

At work I have a dual display PC. It used to use dual CRT monitors, then it upgraded to a single LCD monitor and one CRT monitor. Now I have two LCD displays. I have noticed with the newer one, I will have a tendancy to get a headache, and some general eye pain if I look at it for too long. Shutting it off appears to help a little. When it was a single LCD and a CRT, I didn't have this issue. Both mointors are set to 1280x1024, so I don't know if the resolution would cause a problem.

I have an LCD monitor at home. It is a 17inch widescreen, and has the display set at 1280x768. This monitor hasn't seemed to caues me any problems at home (which I use almost as much as my pc at work).

My laptop's LCD also don't usually cause me an issue, but the one at work does. Is it possible that this monitor somehow displays differently than the others? My work monitors were a dell first, and the second was a compaq. Both have a very good display (to the layman).

Does any of this make sense, or sound feasible? Has anyone else had a problem with an LCD monitor?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Have you thought about the lighting at work combined with the new LCD?

Flourescent (at work) vs incandescent (at home.)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it's possible that it could be the refresh rate on the monitors... Perhaps there's a difference between your work and home ones?
[/b]
The refresh rate on work and home LCD's are both 60. Any higher than that and I get these out of range errors (atleast the one and home I do, I know the ones here defaulted to that when I plugged them in).

Have you thought about the lighting at work combined with the new LCD?

Flourescent (at work) vs incandescent (at home.)
[/b]
I know some people have problems with flourescent lights (hearing them buzz, flicker, headaches from and such), but didn't think about the combination of the background lighting with the LCD. If I put a lamp on my desk (incandescent), would it be enough to drown out the flourescent, or would I need to do it on a weekend when I can shut off the overhead lights? (as a test to see if it changes anything).

And not sure if it matters, but at home we have those spirally bulbs. The flourescent that plug into an incandescent light. I'm not sure how similar those are to the 4 ft long tubes in the ceiling here at work, but just wanted to add that point.

Thanks

·
Registered
849 Posts
Is one monitor using a DVI connection and the other using VGA?

DVI is a much better picture so when u use it with VGA your eyes will begin to see the difference and the VGA one will make u get a headache.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

DVI is a much better picture so when u use it with VGA your eyes will begin to see the difference and the VGA one will make u get a headache.
[/b]
Actually, yes. My dell monitor has the DVI connection on my video card along with a DVI cable, and the compaq is using the VGA connection on the video card with a VGA cable. Think switching them both to VGA (I have a little plug that goes into the DVI port and turns it to VGA, came with the computer) could solve this problem?

Guess it wouldn't hurt to run it that way for a week and see if things are different.

Davecoyne-
Was it just that individual monitor? Like one at home doesn't cause problems, or anything like that?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts

[/b]
I used to have that at work, and found the same thing

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Well, I just got an LCD monitor at work today (new computer, as old one came off lease). One thing I am finding is that it is much brighter, which is taking some getting used to. I may turn it down another notch.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I just shut the machine down and switched them both to VGA. I have noticed my headache has receded a little since I have had the machine off and not staring at it.

Not much left of today, but I will continue to run it this way for the next several days and see if it will continue to give me a problem or not.

Thanks for the input/suggestions guys. May have just saved my sanity.

·
Registered
461 Posts
LCD displays do not have refresh rates. LCD's pixels are either on, or off. CRTs, on the other hand, do have refresh rates. A couple years ago when the standard kindof shifted from CTS to LCD, I did receive headaches myself. I read (and was told by my eye doctor) that the simple switch from a CRT to LCD can cause temporary problems, because your eyes adjust to the refresh rate. Usually, I don't believe that is the case because most people have problems with the refresh rate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would rather guess it is the position of your head and your eyes needed to accomodate the dual display. I have dual 19er LCD both with DVI. The are set up so that when I lool perfectly straight worward seated orthogonal to the table (like you are supposed to sit at the desk), I actually look at the gap between them. So I only have to move my eyes minimally to the left or right to get the full view of one entire monitor. They are also slightly angled towards me and at the same height. If I sit correctly I never have problems.

But when I turn my seat and have my feet up on another chair instead of planted under the table and I just slouch in my office chair while turning my head to the right to see the screen, I do get a stiff neck which sometimes causes headaches.

Be sure to check you seating position and eye level. Also turning the brightness down might help. To prevent eye fatigue the light level in the office should actually be pretty dim when you are working on the PC.

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
490 Posts
I work with with Overheads, Flat Screens , LCD's and Plasma's at work. I ALSO have glasses with dual prescriptions AND ANTI GLARE/ UV. That makes the world of difference.
I go from SGI to SAP to CATIA to UNIX to Win2k and before the glasses.. :blink: :wacko:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
randyz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing