Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this issue and not sure if my car has been doing this all along or it just started happening. When I have my front defrost on, the engine bay makes a terrible high pitched sound (I'm guessing the compressor kicking on) and the lights dim for about 5 seconds every 30 seconds or so.

Anyone experience this or know if this is normal or not??

Thanks!

btw its a 2003 6s w/ ~66k

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's probably the auxiliary fan that you're hearing. the compressor's always on when the defroster is on AFAIK. The aux. fan on mine kicks in every 30 seconds or so when the AC compressor's on and the car's stationary. If it sounds like more than normal fan noise maybe the fan has a bad bearing or something. If the lights are dimming that may also be a signal that the fan's drawing too much current, and something's amiss.

·
Registered
526 Posts
my car does the same thing and its only a year old 05M6S ... i dont kno about the unusually loud noise u are hearing ... it might be a bad bearing on the fan ... i would get that checked out

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The compresor will cycle on and off. Sounds like you might have a a bad one on your hands. That would explain the dim lights and the loud noise...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts