Mazda 6 Forums banner

Compression Problem??? Any ideas?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Trigger6 
#1 ·
I have searched through dozens of different threads and I can't seem to find a similar case...

My car has been sluggish at lower RPMs for about 4 or 5 months. I have been in and out of rentals because of accidents and I wasn't sure if I was just crazy, but today I realized something must be wrong. It is very sluggish in all gears until around 3000 rpms. I remember the normal lag, but this is to the point where I have very little power.

Driving at 60mph in 5th gear (ATX) and the RPMs are around 2200. That seems a little low to me. It also goes into 5th gear fairly quick - 40-45 mph @ 1500 rpms or so.

Drives somewhat normal while the engine is at cooler temps. After about 10 minutes of heating up, the car begins to lag.

Regular oil changes, no oil consumption, NO CEL! What's going on! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wonder if it could possibly be a compression problem or a TCM issue.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#4 ·
Wouldn't a vacuum hose trip a CEL? I'll give the carb-cleaner a try this weekend.

#5 ·
nope.. vacuum hose wont necessarily trip a cel.. when i cleaned my fuel injectors u have to unhook one of the vacuum hoses on the intake manifold. as soon as you do that the car idle will go up and down and sounds like the car is about to die but the cel doesnt go on lol.

#6 ·
I found the source of the air noise. It's actually occurring in the airbox itself and resonating through the intake manifold. Unfortunately, this didn't solve my sluggishness problem.

I'm wondering if this is just a TCM/ECU/Valve timing problem that is causing the low-rpm powerloss. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the replies thus far.

#7 ·
Bump for any new ideas...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.