Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was talkin to a friend today and he owns an eclipse GST i wanna say a 99 or 98. Any ways he got his springs compressed today for $50 bucks overall, $10 a spring and some tax and crap like that. Any ways i went to ride in his car and it seriously felt the same as before, but looked a little better. The gap difference isnt that much because all eclipses are low any ways, but i was wondering how much does this hurt your suspension. I mean it sounds like they are just making your springs 'shot'. Anyone ever do this, i was just wondering and maybe someone could inform me a little more on this, that would be great.

I guarentee 95% of the people here will say dont do it, but some information would be great.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I never heard of this.

When I hear compressing springs, its removing them from the car, and then compressing them to install new springs.

·
Registered
867 Posts
When I hear compressing springs i think of them coming together, like if you raise car up the springs would be decompressing them if that makes sense

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Sounds like someone clamped a couple of coils on the springs together to get a shorter spring length. A friend of mine did this for his gen 1 DSM for that cheap lowered look. It was apparent that this was a bad idea when one of the clamps broke loose while on the highway....

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Sounds like someone clamped a couple of coils on the springs together to get a shorter spring length. A friend of mine did this for his gen 1 DSM for that cheap lowered look. It was apparent that this was a bad idea when one of the clamps broke loose while on the highway....
[/b]
Bingo, this is an old school method far easier than cutting the coil...

Clamp 2 coils together and the spring will sit lower...

I would not recommend this to anybody...

·
Registered
922 Posts
don't do it dude... frickin drop springs are one of the least expensive mod... not to mention zero labor because it's easy to DIY...

RPM Tein S-Techs 165 i think w/ free shipping... peace of mind is wirht that for me rather than some hacked up clamped shit...

worst I've seen... compressed springs with the bottom two coils welded together :shocked: it was a 3G eclipse and was for sale at Cutter Mazda...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'd get springs that won't sag as much as the tein's. or at least that's what i costantly read about them.

·
Registered
922 Posts
i'd get springs that won't sag as much as the tein's. or at least that's what i costantly read about them.
[/b]
if my s-techs sag much more I'll be tucked up front....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts