Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of right now I jsut have 4 5.25'' co-axil JL Aduio speakers in my car. My last car (Volvo 850) had the front speakers up high on the doors so the music was heard pretty good to start with. Now that the locations for Mazda 6s are down low, I am thinking maybe a component system may work better???

Are the component systems really worth the 200 bucks, and if I did this could I run them off my 4 channel Eclipse amp, while still running the rear 5.25 JL's off the amp as well?? The amp is pushing only like 50-60 RMS X 4 channels right now, so maybe I need to consider would 60 RMS even be enough to push a component system?

If this will work, what component system is the best for the money and has tweeters that will fit in the exsiting BOSE locations?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
yes, components are much better than coaxials. the staging is much better and the outboard crossover helps with the frequency ranges.

look for components with a .75" tweeter. that would fit right in. i got a 1" and dremeled the housing.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, components are much better than coaxials. the staging is much better and the outboard crossover helps with the frequency ranges.

look for components with a .75" tweeter. that would fit right in. i got a 1" and dremeled the housing.
[/b]

What kinda power you got going to them? Are the 60 rms x 2 that i have available going to be able to do the job and jusity the pricetag

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What kinda power you got going to them? Are the 60 rms x 2 that i have available going to be able to do the job and jusity the pricetag
[/b]
stock bose. any aftermarket amp will do better than what i have right now. my components up front are polk db6500s rated at 2-100W RMS 4 ohm IIRC.

·
Registered
200 Posts
JL Audio XR Components will fit in the front, and they sound great I would also recommend XR Coax for the back. Yes I have heard these they are great and clear :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
JL Audio XR Components will fit in the front, and they sound great I would also recommend XR Coax for the back. Yes I have heard these they are great and clear :)
[/b]
JL anything is good. too bad they cost an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
705 Posts
All depends on what how good you want the sound. I have a set of 3 way components by Eclipse, they retail $649 from an authorized dealer. I'm pushing about 70W RMS to them and they sound amazing...

What model JL's do you currently have and what set of components are you looking at? Cause I'm sure for $200 50-60W RMS should be about right.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
IMO, speaker brands are too subjective to ask others opinions on. You'll have to just go to a stereo store and listen to a bunch and decide which you like. Personally, and keep in mind it's been a couple years since I've done this, but when I went and heard a bunch of different speakers at a local store, the Alpine Type R components sounded the best to me. I've also been really happy with Boston Acoustics in the past, but they're more money than I want to spend. Sooner or later I'll get around to replacing those stock speakers, but shit keeps coming up.

60w sounds about right for lower-end components. It should be fine. And yes, 3/4 inch tweeters fit perfect, but 1" can fit in the stock sail panel with a little Dremelling (is that a word? :D)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
the difference in coaxial to componet is the difference in a 6i to a STi in performance IMO. i myself will be running 600 per side to my comps but i'm odd :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the difference in coaxial to componet is the difference in a 6i to a STi in performance IMO. i myself will be running 600 per side to my comps but i'm odd :D
[/b]

The eclipse AMP has 2 gain settings for the front pair and back pair. What will increasing the gain on say the front pair do if I put in Components that handle more RMS than my current JL's?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The eclipse AMP has 2 gain settings for the front pair and back pair. What will increasing the gain on say the front pair do if I put in Components that handle more RMS than my current JL's?
[/b]
a gain nob is not a volume adjustment tool but rather a tool to align the pre-out voltage from your deck to the amp in order to create the best signal. a gain set to high can cause your amp to clip. underpowering a speaker is NEVER a bad thing, nor is overpower assuming you know how to do it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
[/b]
I just bought these components yesterday. Only problem is that the tweets dont fit in the factory location. They are a bit larger then 1''. I have jbl tweets in the factory location right now and I had to dremal a bit to get them in. THe JLs are gonna take some time to make fit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you all think it would be better to keep my amp 4 channel and run components in front and normal 5.25 coaxials in the rear, or just turn the amp to 2 channel and put it through just the front component system and not worry about rear speakers?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
you're amp is 65x4 right? for most amps they double power to 2ohm so that'd be [email protected], and probably [email protected] that's just a guess as i have no idea what model amp you have. if you have 3-4 people in your car all the time use rear fill, otherwise you don't need it. i don't run rear in my 6s and i've never had 1 complaint even with people in the back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts