Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on upgrading the front components and adding a small 2 channel amp to power them. I'm not looking to spend more than about $500 on the speakers and amp in total. I'm not a huge base freak, so since I listen to mostly acoustic/rock/country. I want speakers that have really good mid base, and sound neutral. I'm going to keep the rears in for now, I might end up adding a sub in the end but it will be after I do this install. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Component Speakers for $300?

Infinity Kappas, www.ikesound.com. Beware, not an authrized dealer- no warranty. Etroncis.com has a warranty.

Anything better, and the money is better spent on dynamat and other accessories. These speakers have good extention (no subwoofer needed) and good efficiency (small amp sufficient); and sound neutral and open with acoustic/rock/country.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

which Kappa series were you refering too? In addition, I'm comparing some of the prices on Kappa's on Etronics vs. cartoys.com, there are some real significant price differnces, enough to make me somewhat suspect....is etronics that great or is car toys just ripping people off?

·
Registered
791 Posts

Any Kappa's, really. I'm still not sure if 6 1/2 components will fit up front, but 5 1/4's sure will. Of course, a mounting bracket will be required for either of these. I'll have two pairs to sell shortly- I bought three. Unfortunately, Infinity does not make 6x8" components, which is why I ended up with Kenwoods :(

Infinity makes 5x7/6x8's to go in the back- but not components. They're $100, and I'd recommend them for some fill. If you want to keep your imaging, you can disconnect the tweeters. They have outboard crossovers.

Etronics is big, that's all I can say. If I remember correctly, there are a few other authorized stores that have comparable prices, but they don't have the reputable look (illusion or not) that etronics has. Audio gear typically has a HUGE markup. Look on eBay- I buy all my gear there, and get great deals- especially if you are ok with buying used or open boxed items.

Edit: I was referring to the basic Kappa's, not the Kappa Perfects. Unless you're going really high-end, there's deminishing returns, and the standard Kappa's are (to me) clearly one of the best values in car audio. Also, lower-end speakers tend to be more full-range and open up with less power, whereas higher-end speakers can be intended only for mids and highs (they assume a subwoofer).

Don't get me wrong, I'm still all for $2000 systems :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Etronics is great, believe it or not they have the $600 RF Power HX2's for $244.00. The only thing I can figure is the same thing stretchsje said...they are big enough to do some serious bulk buying. Another site with good prices is thezeb.com. Not too sure as to the best speakers for SQ, I'm more into SPL. Usually when I think SQ I think Eclipse components.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

i have 5.25 infinity kappa components in my accord with an infinity 54a. it sounds pretty nice but i wasnt impressed with the midrange

·
Registered
657 Posts

Ah, fuck Kappas. If you're dead set on them, LISTEN to them first, personally I hate them. WAY too harsh, and they're $150 speakers. For $300, you can do MUCH better. For example, JL Audio XR components are pretty damn good, and are around $300. JBL GTi's are DAMN good speakers, but quite hard to find, and go for about $400. They're one of the top ten I've ever heard. Also, for $300 exactly, go to www.ampmanaudio.com and check out the Adire Audio Coda speakers. Adire is a small company in Washington state, and their owner, Dan Wiggens, is one of THE nicest, most knowledgeable, honest man in the business. Add to the fact that his speakers are worth about 3x what he sells them for, and that seals the deal. But don't take my word for it. Check out the forums are www.carsound.com www.elitecaraudio.com and www.caraudioforum.com and search for Adire Audio. Picking up a Shiva would also be a tremendous investment for you. One 12" sub would be perfect for your needs, and for $125, it's dollar for dollar the best out there. It's ugly as sin, but.... Well, you can't have everything.

As for amps, you can't go wrong with a US Acoustics. They're budget amps, but built like bricks and will last forever if treated right. I'm using them in my competition install, if that helps you any. Check out www.Thezeb.com for prices.

I figure a Koda component set, and a USX2100 (125w RMS x2 @14.4v)will set you back about $440, and will be plenty of power for the Kodas. When you're ready, add in a Shiva for $125 and a USX2150 for $163 and you'll send that sub about 550w RMS @4ohms bridged, at 14.4v. Tap that into a line out converter for $20 to interface with your head unit, spend about $45 on wires/fuses/distribution blocks at www.knukonceptz.com, and you'll have a HELL of a system for pretty cheap. A box for the Shiva should be a sealed chamber, 1.5 cubic feet in volume. You can even build this yourself if you have the tools, it'll save you the $40 on buying a premade one.

And there you go: $630 and you have a complete system. All sites that I listed are completely trustworthy, and if you have doubts, search the forums I mentioned to check for yourself. Neil at ampman audio, Dan with Adire, and the people at The Zeb are as good as they get, and Altersys (on this forum) has worked for and with Neil in the past. He'll vouch, I'm sure.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Oh yeah.... Eventually, the only thing I'd add to that system would be a small EQ, just to tailor the sound better than the bass/treble on the head unit can. You can either do that in-dash (I'm mounting mine in the center storage area); in the glove compartment, or in the trunk if you want to get a larger, more complex & controlling unit. Look for Phoenix Gold and Audiocontrol for the best stuff, DEI and PPI for lesser quality.

(YES, I said PPI is lesser quality.... They went to shit since A/D/S/ purchased them, and DEI has only made them slightly better....so far)

Ah, and www.thezeb.com also carries US Acoustics line out converters, but I wouldn't trust them. Look for either DEI, soundgate, or search the aforementioned forums for Dave Navone's site, he sells ones he hand makes, and they're the best.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts