Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lost all power to my car. It seems to feel like it is chugging along and in 1st gear it feels like it has reached its max rpm at 4000.2nd is 3500.4th 3000 and 5th just sputters the whole time. I have changed plugs. Didnt help at all. I got several codes. bank 1 and 2 lean. (cai-no cpe) then fan circuit. and P0300 mutiple misfire. Not sure where to start and dont want to take it somewhere untill i have an idea of what it is. Tranny maybe??? idk

Please Help!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
it could be the timing gear is off.. i had that problem in my old 626. it was my distrbutor cap. the timeing was way the heck off. i have to get a new distributor cap and i bought a new timing belt to be safe and i worked fine after that

·
Registered
585 Posts
CLOGGED CONVERTERS! Your engine can't breath.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok when in park the car will rev to redline. not fast but will do it. could that still be clogged cats.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i lied it will only go to 3500 in park seems like its redlined there. also pulled the intake and there is oil in it the tube. Not a residue but standing oil.... Is she done??

·
Registered
585 Posts
Got a fork?...... Sorry.
You've checked that the PCV valve isn't just stuck open right?
Does it smoke and blow air out the oil dip-stick tube at idle or part throttle?
If it's not smoking you may just have a clogged CAT and not damaged the engine yet.
Do a compression test on all cylinders ASAP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It smokes under the oil cap but not the dipstick. Now the oil is gone from the intake tube (overfilled maybe?). It gets hot very quick. I dont understand how this happen overnight. drove home one night it was great. Next day ran like crap and this is where we are. Should I even drive it to the shop? (10 miles or so)

Im gonna miss her!!! And only have had her for less than 6 months

btw no smoke from tailpipes

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If there is no oil Id say the PCV, and like others have said it is almost certainly the pre cats being clogged.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Good Luck. For your sake I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I was with tkemme before he even mentioned the CATS!! I had a similar problem with these exact symptoms on V6 Contour Duratec. If you're under 80K miles, the dealer has to cover on warranty. If you're past 80K, consider either gutting the precats, or going with headers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well tkemme your are right motor is gone. the shop said that i jumped timing chain. therefore i have a piston that is coming out to far. and now has cel for crank shaft sensor and cam sensor. he said this is because they are not turning together. I asked if it could be fixxed and he said not really just new motor. This is some bullsh*t. ive had the car for 4 months today 10,000 down the drain. and probly another 5 or 6 to get it fixxed. Damn Ford Motor...................lol

so i guess no supercharger for me..... but will soon have mazda 6 3.0 with brand new rebuilt engine FOR SALE.......let me know if u want it haha

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well tkemme your are right motor is gone. the shop said that i jumped timing chain. therefore i have a piston that is coming out to far. and now has cel for crank shaft sensor and cam sensor. he said this is because they are not turning together. I asked if it could be fixxed and he said not really just new motor. This is some bullsh*t. ive had the car for 4 months today 10,000 down the drain. and probly another 5 or 6 to get it fixxed. Damn Ford Motor...................lol

so i guess no supercharger for me..... but will soon have mazda 6 3.0 with brand new rebuilt engine FOR SALE.......let me know if u want it haha
Sorry to hear this.:( What mileage was on your engine? Did the mechanic say weather it was the front or rear chain? The engine does have to come out of the car to remove the end cover and work on the timing chains, so he is probably right about doing the entire thing. I don't believe this is a common problem with the six. Has anybody else had a confirmed timing chain failure?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

You managed to jump a timing chain? That's pretty impressive. And rare. There is a reason you don't see service schedules on timing chains.

btw- How many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well there is 92000 bought it with 87000..... and the mechanic did say that the chains are supposed to be changed at 100,000 or serviced or w/e. I dont really think this is it at all but im not a mechanic...this could not have happen overnight unless my wife has been out drag racing while i sleep.(and if so im getting a divorce...lol) It also didnt have any smoke what so ever.and cel didnt have the two sensors codes mechanic says is there now when i checked it at autozone 2 days b4 i took it to him. IDK going to see what dealer will give me back for it and buy a brand new Chevy like i should have from the start.......but i did love that car!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'm thinking the mechanic is full of it...... Not only have I never heard of a recommended change schedule for any timing chain, but I just checked the factory Mazda manual for the 6 and neither the 4 cyl or 6 cyl has a recommended change schedule on the chains.

I have to think that those who say it's the convertors are on to something.

As for the codes that weren't there before- did you personally see the code and check what the number meant? Also, it's possible the mechanic did something to cause the code/s, either on accident or on purpose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats what i was thinking. and no i did not see the codes myself. i know they were not there before i took it to him. IDK i think im gonna get it back and take the cats off and see if it helps.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
My car did the same thing and it was the cats. Ran fine 1 second and then all of a sudden had no power. I would have expected a gradual reduction in power and that telltale smell but nope it was all at once with no symptoms prior. What I did notice is that the more throttle I gave it the louder the intake was like exhaust coming out of the intake which is exactly what it was. Quit running the engine all together until you can get it looked at. Dont forget there is a federal EPA warranty on emissions equipment until I think 80K. My dealer gladly replaced my cats under warranty but wouldnt own up to my blown motor.

IMHO: That timing chain diagnosis is straight BS.

Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok so could i have jumped the timing driving it to the mechanic. it did die otw there. but it will still start right up and idle fine..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts