Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a altima 02 2.5SL

Compared to that, How does the regular MZ6 compare? As the power goes? I really like the altima and its handling. I have no problems with the power of the car either. It is a auto. With 120k miles on the altima, the car still handles like new(cept for that sound problems with these cars under the hood)

I know the engine size if different, and about 10hp different?could be wrong but, if you have ever driven an altima, please let me know.

so its mazda6i compared to nissan altima 2.5

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
altima 3.5 > 6s > altima 2.5 > 6i (in terms of performance)

nissans have something we wish all mazdas had more of: torque. personally, i wouldn't recommend switching over to a competing car in the same class unless you absolutely fall in love with it.

but who the hell am i kidding? just go down to a dealer and test drive one, thats the only way you'll figure out if its the right step for you. i really think a 6s would be a better way to go...never driven an altima btw. cant comment on handling or comfort :\

·
Registered
922 Posts
altima 3.5 > 6s > altima 2.5 > 6i (in terms of performance)

nissans have something we wish all mazdas had more of: torque. personally, i wouldn't recommend switching over to a competing car in the same class unless you absolutely fall in love with it.

but who the hell am i kidding? just go down to a dealer and test drive one, thats the only way you'll figure out if its the right step for you. i really think a 6s would be a better way to go...never driven an altima btw. cant comment on handling or comfort :\
[/b]
i'm not so sure a 4 banger altima is better performace wise than a 6i... as i know the altima is at 175hp while the 6i is at 160. the altima weighs alot more, yeh? enough to make up for 15hp?

stock vs stock i don't know... how about 6i w/CAI, free mods, and header back? zoom zoom bye altima :burnout:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes, but the Altima 2.5 has 180 torque while the 6i has 154. Same reason my Grand Prix with 240 hp and 280 torque was much faster than, for example a Maxima with 255 hp and 252 torque, even while weighing more.

Not that I'm knocking the 6, I love mine and often find myself staring out the front window at it (is that weird?). Best bet of course is just to test drive one as others said and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As I understand it, between these two cars the Mazda has the better handling.
The Altima [my second pick behind my first choice 6i] is bigger size wise and a little bigger weight wise.
Someone who owns a Altima rode with me to lunch one day and they said that my car felt more sporty.

But we knew that already.... :drive:

Altimas are fast without question but from everything I've read, they are maybe too big for their own good.
A tad too much float for the sports driver in us all.

·
Registered
922 Posts
MASTABO, get the 6... it's prettier, sportier, handles MUCH better, isn't looked at as a "grocery getter" You will get alot more compliments on the 6... I would never choose an altima over a 6, IMO...

if your worried about performance still.. 6i + CPE MAFci = altima ownage.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
yea dude, driving an Altima is like driving a WHALE....driving is 6 is like driving a SHARK....see what I mean jellybean?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
in a straightline with comparable engines, nissan would win hands down. the 2.5 dynos at 140+ hp and 150+ tq (fyi, the v6 altima dynos at/over 200 hp and tq.) the average for the 6i is from 125-135hp to the wheels and 130-140tq. you'd need intake, headers to dyno at or above a stock 2.5 altima.

and the weight? surprise surprise...the altima weighs less.

2.5 mt - 3040
6i mt - 3057

no contest.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Having driven quite a few Altima rental cars, the Nissan is definitely a lot torquier as said before. Handling is okay, but the 6 edges it out. Where the 6 really shines over the Altima is in the interior. The Altima is just awful. Everything in it feels so cheaply made and there's always something broken. By comparison, I had a '95 Altima which was much nicer and had a BMW-esque quality to it. The current Altima interior...ugh! If you could just put the Nissan engine in the 6, then you'd have the best of both worlds! I guess it will come down to what's more important.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
my girlfriend drives a nissan altima and i decided to take it for a ride to see how it felt. Compared to the 6 the nissan was just ok. The 6 no doubt has better handling, better looks, and is better quality.

BUT

i will say, if i were you i would drive the altima until she dies which should be around over 175K miles. My girflriend is at aproximately 170K miles and she has had very few problems. By the way i was comparing both of the v6's altima v6 and mazda v6

·
Registered
30 Posts
as i own a 6s and having a buddy who is a salesman at a nissan dealership ive had the oppurtunity to drive the altimas including the new SE-R. if your looking for overall power any 3.5 altima would win hands down. if your looking for the best handling as everyone has said here the 6 wins. I cant remember which magazine it was but the 6 was ranked up with the audi, bmw, and acura in its class overall, rating the 6 as being the best handling over the current 3 series which had been the reigning champions. ive personally raced 3 series, altimas. wrx(non-sti), and tsx's down mountains and have never had a problem leaving them. it could just be my driving skill :) but thats what ive seen.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,570 Posts
I've rented a 2005 Altima 2.5S automatic for 2 weeks when my previous car was hit, and I know own a 6i automatic. For fuel economy, both are tied. The Altima had more power, but the handling isn't as good. It's also roomier inside too.

Perosnally, I chose the 6 because Nissans seem to have issues when they get higher miles on them, from experiences with friends' cars. Yours didn't seem to have that though, so I don't know. I'd choose the 6 based on its sportier handling and feel and styling as well.

You get more with the 6 (standard ABS/traction control -- TRAC not available on the 2.5 Altima). Altima's interior also isn't as good of a grade as the 6 either, but they're redesigned for 2007 and I haven't seen a new one yet.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There are several articles that are available about this classic comparo. Detractors of the Altima say that it is not as nimble as the 6. Indeed, the 6i would be the handling champ due to its lower front end weight compared to the 6s with the V6.

However, the passenger space in the Altima is larger. The 6 is a 'world car' meaning that its not a large car that the American car buying public has traditionally wanted. If you get a 5-door 6 or the wagon, you'd be able to get cargo hauling flexibility exceeding any Altima. If you need the larger passenger space, a Ford Fusion might be the way to go, or you could wait until the larger 2008 Mazda6 comes out. The 2008's will have the new 3.5l engine that is supposed to FANTASTIC.

Beware the Nissan 2.5's. There have been several problems with the motor that were being resolved by Nissan.

Alex

·
Registered
212 Posts
i've owned both the sentra, and altima prior to my 6.

IMO, the 6 is alot better.
[/b]
+1.

The Sentra was an SE-R (not SpecV), fast (enough) and solid but just not that entertainig to drive.
The Altima (02) was the wife's car - she loved it but yep, the interior looked cheap and handling is not on par with the 6. I also never got over the lack of ABS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts