Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, practicality and roominess aside, how's does the 6's driving mannors differ from smaller sporty cars such as the Celica, RSX, and the Protege? I currently drive an old Celica and really enjoy the small-car charactoristics, but am planning on getting a 6. Am I in for heavyweight shock?

I realize a midsized car, especially in America, is perpetually an oxymoron with performance, and that's why the 6 is so appealing--it breaks the typical mold of sacrificing zoom for room. The 6 can be the best among its midsized rivals, but since cargo space isn't very high on my priority list, I am going to cross-shop it with smaller cars, such as an RSX. I still haven't driven either, only my old Celica and an '02 Protege, both of which I like.

I realize everyone here loves the car, but I don't have the constraint of needing a midsize. I'm sure the "total package" of the 6 will have me sold (after all, hardly anything on the car that isn't impressive); but once I have to live with my new car, am I going to miss the days of driving a smaller, lighter, and less refined car?

By the way... this must be the best Mazda6 board out there. I've been an unregistered visitor for months, but finally signed up. So, hi everybody!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Comparing Apples to Oranges'

No need for room?
Get AUDI TT, it is really small. :p

Or so many other real sports models.

You are right, if your "need for speed" is over other parameters in a car, maybe you need some other car than Mazda6? After all Mazda6 is winning many competitions thanks to extra points it scores over the roomy feeling - which I VERY MUCH like (especially driving Audi TT for a day of two!).

But hey, Soon there will be other new Mazda's (like the RX8 and who knows what else?) and probably a sports packet without rotary engine (for those who want a sports car with the new Mazda 2.3 engine with a turbo for the extra kick!)... So hold your hat, I believe Mazda just started an avalanche with the '6. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts

Ups I screwed:

especially driving Audi TT for a day of two!.[/b]
I missed "AFTER" in that sentence...

Especially I tried Audi TT for a day, I thought that I never want to feel that kind of feeling in my car (like packed in a sardine can or something). I think TT is one of the most good looking cars on the road, but after you drive one you might want to get back to your roomy Mazda6 (which can also produce more power ;) ).

But as I said before, everyone makes their decions according to what you want... I want Mazda6, you might need Mazda RX6 when it comes out (or some other brand of car - just giving example of something what MIGHT come in future - but thats a rumour only).

·
Registered
63 Posts

I just read the latest UK car magazine, Mazda6 is compared to Audi A4, Jaguar X-type, BMW320, Volvo S60, Saab 93, sadly, Mazda6 is trashed in the magazine, road noise, excessive understeer, lack of refinement in suspension, cheap material used...etc. the only good thing about the mazda6 is the practicability ie. Karakuri folded seat, and large bootspace and stylish interior.

btw. BMW comes out the top. Mazda6 is the last.

so what do you think of mazda6 in this comparison?
do we overate the mazda6 here because this is the Forum for all Mazda6 owner?

in my opinion, I think mazda 6 surpasses other cars in the same price range. I think the reason that mazda6 didn't add more refinement to the car because they wanted to make more sales volume, more revenue in the mid-size & mid-price market (coz this is the biggest slice of the market ) to resurrect their brand name after a big dip in the past.
If mazda can refine further, give it a better interior material and further reduce the road noise getting into the cabin and harder body shell, I think mazda6 outclasses other cars in the luxury arena. But mazda didnt do that because they are confident with this car styling and driving dynamics would certainly more than enough to make them more revenue by selling the mazda6 into the mid-size mid-price market.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by shoomer

I just read the latest UK car magazine, Mazda6 is compared to Audi A4, Jaguar X-type, BMW320, Volvo S60, Saab 93 ...[/b]
What you describe is exactly what this topic is about. All of these vehicles are way more expensive (some even way way more) than Mazda6 and should not be directly compared to it. The real competitors in European market should be more like Peugeot 406, Nissan Primera, Renault Laguna, Opel Vectra, Citroen C5, Ford Mondeo and such. The fact that Mazda benchmarked some of these midsize luxury sedans (rumour has it that they completely disassembled one BMW 318i in Japan when designing Mazda6) does not make these cars comparable.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I should clarify that the 6 is already at the top of my price list. An Audi TT is out of the question, as is an RX-8 or Nissan Z. Believe me, the RX-8 looks like a dream car of mine. I need to hold four people (uncomfortably) on occassion, and still want a semi-useful trunk, which leaves out the Miata and MR2. The RSX fits these criteria perfectly, but just doesn't seem exciting. The 6 does, though, and the huge space in the 6 is like a bonus. If I can buy used to save $$$, then all the better.

But, regardless of this, I'm trying to focus exclusively on the fun-to-drive quotient- will I get the same thrill in the bigger car than what I'm used to? If the 6 drives like a small car, then the cargo space is a bonus. On the other hand, if the 6, sporty as it may be, still isn't as tossable as my old little car, I'll feel like I'm carrying around excess baggage.

I began thinking of this after seeing the US's bumpers grow, extending the length of the car another 2-3 inches (for no reason!); and it already has a very large turning radius.

---

And you're all right, comparing a 6 to a Jaguar and BMW doesn't seem too fair, though it's still disturbing that they critisized the driving experience. They must have been looking for luxury, not performance, or the 6 would have killed the more softly sprung Jag and Saab. Maybe they're tuned a bit sportier for your country? Not so much here.

·
Registered
446 Posts

Originally posted by shoomer
            I just read the latest UK car magazine, Mazda6 is compared to Audi A4, Jaguar X-type, BMW320, Volvo S60, Saab 93, sadly, Mazda6 is trashed in the magazine, road noise, excessive understeer, lack of refinement in suspension, cheap material used...etc. the only good thing about the mazda6 is the practicability ie. Karakuri folded seat, and large bootspace and stylish interior.
btw. BMW comes out the top. Mazda6 is the last.[/b]
I think it's commendable that the 6 is grouped with those cars. It's better to be compared to pricier cars and lose than to not even compete at all. It just shows the depth and versatility of the 6 IMO.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I believe most of the magazine will not directly compared cars with its direct competitors. I believe that their is some inside pressure preventing them from doing something like that. It does do a company good when their car lost to a direct competitor. I am not saying the company directly persuade the magazine to do things but with their ad money on the line, magazine tends to play the safe side.

Plus the other thing is that the magazine may be building up a huge review that includes the direct competitors for a special edition so they can sell more.

Just makes me wonder.

·
Registered
355 Posts

BMW comes out the top. Mazda6 is the last.[/b]
Most magazines are bias...Keep that always in mind.

Not that I wouldn't be bias. After I tested (all the cars you listed from the top price list to the bottom price list - for once I wanted to check cars with 20 000 euro price range. where Mazda was somewhere in the bottom of the price list)... I can say that my experience was that:

Volvo S60, Mazda6 and Jaguar X-type are on the same line for me (talking about drivability etc.)...
But Mazda looked best IN & OUT, Jaguar looked also good out... But Jag doesn't even offer all the accessories - even with extra cash - that Mazda did... SO VERY EASY DICISION.

And the price differences (with the options I want in my car):
Mazda6 about 40 000 eur.
Jaguar X: 55 000 (couldn't get all the stuff I wanted in it)
Audi A4: 52 000
BMW 325: 55 000
Citroen etc. were about the same price, but WAY worse that Mazda6 by so many means... WITH ONE EXCEPTION I FORGOT TO MENTION!

PEUGEOT 406 Coupé designed by Pininfarini!!! Oh my G! That is a looker!!!
But the price - about 70 000 eur... Oh well...

And by the way. Audi TT is around 48 000 eur here. So only 8k over the Mazda6 2.3... And IF there was Mazda6 3.0 ever sold here, it would cost about the same as all the costiest cars on the list...

So for a Finnish customer the price differences aren't so huge. The difference might be more in some other countries? But ofcourse I am comparing the 2.3 - and I believe so did the MAG in UK?

Which mag was it by the way? COuld catch it from some shop...

·
Registered
355 Posts

I should clarify that the 6 is already at the top of my price list.[/b]
Okay, if thats the limit forget TT... You might be around 10k or so short... And believe me, it wouldn't be worth it all!

I shouldn't say this... but have you tried Huyndai Coupe? I haven't :D
But it does look good on the parking spot outside my apartment...

I tested their Sonata (Huyndai); if the coupe feels as CHEAP as that did, don't buy it... Even if IT IS CHEAP! Way cheaper than my Mazda6 (I just don't trust Huyndai).

Other than that, I don't know any good looking and cheap cars, which could make you feel good... I MIGHT have considered it if I was few years younger and without family or any need for backseats, except for temporary use... But is it crappy car - can't know... Koreans can make some good movies, why not cars? (Japanese make very good animation movies - and cars ;) ).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The Hyundai Tiburon ("coupe") is one of the prettiest rides on the road today, at any price, if you ask me. Unfortunately, I don't fit in the thing. I'm 6'5" tall and don't even come close to being able to get my legs under the steering wheel. That's a shame, cause my old Celica is smaller and I fit great!

Besides, it's not supposed to handle that well anyway.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Sorry. As I said, didn't know much about that other than it looks good. :)

But don't lose your hope, I think there will be car for you... The height shouldn't be a problem, try BMW when you are an inch too short. :p I couldn't drive the thing with any comfort. (Don't know my height in inches, but I am 170 cm and too short for BMW standards - but I believe BMW is over your budget, even if they have this new Z4 coming and stuff, but they always overprice their cars, since many people think it is worth it).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think I'm going to get a 6, save anything drastically wrong during the test drive. I just can't find anything else on the market that does so many things right. I just hope I don't miss having a small car, because for all I know I might have a kid on the way when I buy my next car. I just got married and we've agreed to hold off at minimum 8 years, but accidents happen :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

I own a RSX Type S (Honda Integra 200hp i-VTEC for those not in North America) for over a year now and I still LOVE the car. The engine is pure bliss, and listening to that thing hit the 7900 RPM redline is one of the highlights of my day. The interior is masterfully crafted, and ergonomics are as close to perfect as one can get.

As far as fun, it is a blast to drive. Not as much fun as say, a Miata (what is?); but still fun in a sporty way. The car has plenty of get up and go, while not being blisteringly fast. The steering and 6 speed are two of the best I've ever experienced. The worst part is the tires. Honda put all season Michelins on the thing and they are horrid. They provide long life, and decent noise, but the second I start really pushing the car, I can feel the tires starting to give way. It is obvious the chassis can handle more, but the tires won't give it. I hope to eventually replace the rubber with something much better, but I'm gonna wear out the michelins first, though at this pace, the car will be 5 years old before that happens.

The car is very very comfy for 2 people, and the back seat isn't bad as long as you're not driving adults, which is when there is a pretty bad lack of rear seat headroom. The trunk/hatch is huge, especially when seats folded. In fact, we use the RSX over our Millenia to haul, as it is much larger.

All in all, I'm guessing (without ever driving a 6) that the 6 will have nearly as entertaining handling as the RSX, though with better rubber, I'm sure the RSX would best the 6 with sport package. The 6 WILL be slower accelerating, though the V6 will come quite close, I'd imagine. In fact, withought hitting redline in the RSX, the 6 might actually be faster off the line in the V6. All in all, if you need 4 doors and room, get the 6, no questions asked. But if you're like me, who has people ride in back every blue moon, and think a sport coupe is always more fun to be in than a sedan, take a serious look at the RSX.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

But if you're like me, who has people ride in back every blue moon, and think a sport coupe is always more fun to be in than a sedan, take a serious look at the RSX.[/b]
That's me!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

If you have a kid coming, I would seriously reconsider a car in the size class of an RSX.

Don't dismiss it, just reconsider. Take a car seat. Put it in. Get a two-foot high stuffed monkey or something. Put it in the car seat. You'll know what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

No kid is coming! I was saying by the time my next purchase comes around, I may. I'm thinking 8-10 years!

Hence, this is probably my last opportunity to buy a small car.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Oh, hell, then don't think twice!! Enjoy it while it lasts! Get the smallest, funnest, most impractical car you can afford!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts