Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car's in the shop (03 fully modded 6i) for an oil change, tire rotation and some new Hawk pads put on. They gave me an '05 6 wagon as a loaner.

Here are some of my impressions from the wagon:

Love the extra cargo space
Hate the Traction Control
The Stock 17in Michellins are awful (had the 16s before and they were far superior)
The V6 is a gas guzzler for city driving (miss my I4)
Like the Bose system (don't have that in mine)
Torque is weak from the line as compared to my 6i MTX
ATX sucks, long shift lag and shifts points are way too low (around 2000rpms)
you can feel the V6 power at higher speeds, but off the line, it's a snail for responsiveness

Just thought I would share.

It probably doesn't help that my 6 is modded to hell as compared to this, but some of the mods that I've done that lead me to this review:
Mazdaspeed short shifter
Tanabe Springs
Strut Brace
All synthetic fluids
CPE CAI
Grounded Throttle body
Toyo Proxes 4
MTX
6i

I miss my 6, but its nice to know that all the mods and money I've spent really do make a difference.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
So basically....The V6 Wagon is garbage right..?

you give it how many stars out of 5?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't say overall its garbage, but compared to my 6i and the package this one was, it cannot keep up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wish I would have looked more seriously at the hatch. Don't get me wrong, love the wagon, but the hatch looks much better and has just as much utility with the rear door open.

Agree on the 6-spd sucking - the V6 just doesn't have a lot of chops down low and with the traction control turned on, it loves to cut the torque just as things are getting fun. It's quick to upshift, slow to downshift and in general, SUCKS. The engine and transmission just don't seem to be tuned to work well together. Hopefully future programming updates (if there are any) will help this a bit.

I also hate how the gear indicator doesn't always reflect what gear the transmission is in.

I appreciate your comment on the 17s. I've been looking to find someone to swap my 18s with, but it sounds like the stock 17s come with some really crappy rubber. Unfortunately those 18s are going to suck in the snow and they don't make for the most comfortable ride.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
You should drive a manual wagon to get the full driving pleasure of the wagon.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should drive a manual wagon to get the full driving pleasure of the wagon.
[/b]

Yeah, that would have been preferable. Also, it would have been nice to have the sport package, just from an appearance standpoint.

I got my car back last night and fell in love with her all over again!!! It was a night and day difference in driving, my 6i is so much more responsive and agile and doesn't feel like a pig around the city. All this now makes me wonder, could a 6i with my list of mods take a 6s ATX in the quarter mile?

·
Registered
436 Posts
It really is night and day between the MTX and ATX with the wagon. With the extra weight of the wagon, it's absolutely required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts