Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, how are you?

For those who have the Bose system in their 6, can u please throw me some comments about, cos i'm beginning to question the quality of it.

Firstly, i dont think that this system really lives up to all the hype. Treble isnt a strength of the system. It just cant manage to pump out clear crisp sounds! However, volume is a strongpoint of the system. Sound level '15' is real loud for my liking, i dont know what max level is though, but i dont think i'll go finding out.

I think that the system is fairly good for heavy or rocks songs that dont require much refinement. But given stuff like jazz or the lighter genres, it really doesnt do too well, just cant bring out the crispness and the shapness the music demands!!

Example: Led Zepplin IV: Good
Santana Abraxas: No good

please comment

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Reading Topic: Comments about the Bose system

Max is 33. If you have the ALC on, it actually gets softer after 30, probably so that it doesn't blow.

I agree though, its not all the good. However, it was either that or the base system which has to be even worse. To get a custom setup is going to cost more money because a custom dash is going to be needed.

Also, my biggest complaint is with the 6 CD changer. When you unload a disc and take the disc out, it automatically goes to the next disk. :wtf
Did anyone think maybe if I'm unloading a disc, I want to put another one in? Instead of waiting for the damn thing to queue up again, it should just stay there. If I want to go to another disc, I'll press the button myself, thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Actually the base system isnt all that bad, probably the nicest sounding base system in any car I've ever bought...not that thats saying a whole lot. I wouldnt say it sounds better than the Bose system, I jsut dont think it sounded $630 worse either, but alexchu pretty much sums up what I thought of the Bose system while I was test driving and decided against it. The 6 disc changer would be nice though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Comments about the Bose system'

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Also, my biggest complaint is with the 6 CD changer.  When you unload a disc and take the disc out, it automatically goes to the next disk.  :wtf
Did anyone think maybe if I'm unloading a disc, I want to put another one in?  Instead of waiting for the damn thing to queue up again, it should just stay there. If I want to go to another disc, I'll press the button myself, thank you very much.[/b]
Are you ejecting the CD while it's playing? If so, that's why it's going to the next disc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Comments about the Bose system'

I have the Bose in my 6s and it sounds great in my opinion. I had a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero before my 6 and that system was fairly week.

My choice of music is Rap and R&B, and it sounds pretty good at all levels. Although, my brother-in-law has a '99 Solara which has JBL speakers from factory, His setup seems to have more bass then mine, but he has no sub and I do!

Right now I have 50 Cent, Eminem, Fabolous, Nas, Snoop Dogg, and a Mixxed CD in my Bose Changer. They all sound strong. People turn their heads my was when I cruise up the street with all my windows UP. And all I have the bass on is +4.

The Bose is worth it IMO, especially the changer.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Yah, I also have the Bose system in my car and I love it. Its not an audiophile system by any means but for a stock audio system for a couple hundred dollar upgrade I think its damn good. To be honest I like it better than the one in my bosses BMW. Its not going to rattle any windows out of your neighbors house or anything. If you are looking for that you shouldnt be looking at any stock system to begin with.

·
Registered
230 Posts

I have the Bose system too, and I really like it too. I tend to listen to rock music, and the Bose does a great job with the bass and the overall sound. I certainly have no complaints :) .

·
Registered
652 Posts

I love the Bose system for the Blues I listen to. (Everything from Robert Cray, SRV, Clapton, Lang, BB, etc). It has a great range and enough power.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I've got the Bose system. I'm not terribly impressed with it for a 7 speaker system. Treble is lacking, and the sound isn't that crisp. Tends to get mudded up by the bass which I might add comes mostly from the doors. I'd put money on the fact that you could disconnect the sub with no impact to the total sound. I swear it's not contributing nearly enough to the total output. You could probably do better for $600, even if you keep the HU in place and add your own amp/speakers/sub.

·
Registered
322 Posts

I'm happy with the Bose... it plays my nine inch nails cd's with every nuance and staticy screech... pretty harsh music to try and reproduce imho... ;)

It also handles doof-doof too. Volume 20, windows up, sunroof closed, you get an amazing 'phantom' stereo effect. Getting the DOOO-DOOO-DOOO from the sides, and the chirpy fx melody from the centre.. sounds really swee :)

And give it anything with some decent sweeping base chords, crank it up beyond 25 and whooo feel that bass *drool*

Hehe.. I really like it that it doesn't start sounding shitty and distorted when you have it up loud.

I spend ~2hrs in the car a day commuting so I wanted something I could actually enjoy listening to... but now I'm enjoying it so much I'll probably be deaf by the age of 30 ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts

the Bose system aint that great...
not enough sharpness... i guess it's the tweeters .. they arnt that good or the position/angle of them r not exactly right...
as for rock music i tend to focus on the guitar tone therefore sharpness is quite important to me...

but overall Bose system i would rate it 3.75 out of 5....

·
Registered
77 Posts

Like I said, it isn't an audiophile system. But for the price it is damn good. That is funny Kyler, I dont notice that the bass is all from my door speakers at all. I have played all types of music up into the mid 20's and it doesn't get muddied at all. The Sub isnt the greatest but it is better than the one I had in my last car. Its all personal preference I guess but compared to what the competition is offering, I thing Mazda's is one of the best.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I hear door rattles when I play it loud...

Also... max at 33 isn't much. If you're alone in the car it's adequate but when other people are in the car who soak up some of that sound.. it isn't as loud as I'd like.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

I think the Bose system is great... i don't listen my music as loud as some have stated, but i don't really have a problem with listening to classical or electronica... it takes my ears a second to adjust to the switch... but it seems fine to me... altho sometimes i hear a bit of an echo when i listen to certain violin pitches... i just think the 6cd in dash changer is kinda slow when chaning disc and loading.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

I have to admit, sometimes I just turn the radio off and listen to the engine growl on acceleration.. sounds sweeter than the Bose.

·
Registered
220 Posts

A good component replacement set (MBQuart, Diamond, and others) would seem to solve the biggest problem. The Bose Audio offers the addition of Preouts so that you can use your own amp, drivers and subwoofer sets without having to change the head units.

When turning up the audio, all cars have rattle....well, at least all that I've ever owned.

Regarding volume, cars are not very good sound insulators. Too much of the sound actually escapes the car. Soundmatting the doors, under the headliner and trunk will really improve the sound quality if volume is a factor. It also helps to insulate outside noise from getting into the car.

I'm not an expert but the above is based on several cars upgraded and what I learned to do for the next one....superior audio costs.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Comments about the Bose system

I don't know what the complainers are talking about.

It is a very good system (not awesome, but very good).

I listened to the Travelling Wilburys on the way to work, and I could hear picks on strings, sharp and crisp tambourine, deep and defined bass, was able to pick out each of the guitarists--even when harmonizing, and to top it all off, I heard every stroke of the fish.

The system sounds good and is worth the money.

·
Registered
27 Posts

My problem with popping for the Bose upgrade is that I've heard many a home Bose audio system and they aren't nearly as good as many others in their price ranges. Bose stuff is solidly built and well-supported, but sonically, it is very mediocre.

I'm not familiar with Bose's car audio gear, but I would be fearful of grossly overpaying for what I get.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Basically, if you are a person who likes to add-on custome aftermarket audio to any vehicle, get the stock and go to work on it. You'll need to buy a new dash faceplate to accomodate whatever you are installing, and it may not look as elegent as the factory design. But if it's your hobby, you'll have fun doing it anyway.

If your a person who doesn't want to spend lots of $$$ on an aftermarket system and installation, a possibly cheesy look, etc... then just get the premium sound Bose System and you will never look back. It is well worth the $600, if not for the aggravation of having an aftermarket system installed "down the road".

·
Registered
837 Posts

I don't know about you but I love the OEM looks. I don't really like some of the flashy header unit with aftermarket. Firstly, it does make it look a little gawdy. Secondly, the most important of all is that it won't attract &*%*$& thiefs scanning cars in parking lot to rip open and do thousands dollars of damage to get at your aftermarket unit.

I rather save on the headache and enjoy a decent Bose system that does what the stock unit do but slight better for a bit more money. I think it does it well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts