Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. ive had my speed6 for 4 days now. im slowly getting used ot the clutch. i've driven manual for years now, but evey car i ever owned was a clutch cable setup and the throttle was cable also. i seem to be having a bit of difficulty picking up the new setup. im doing alright, but alot of the time i seem to give it too little gas and the car bogs to like 500 rpm, or i give it too much and the car revs to 2000-2500 rpm. its really kinda annoying. for the most part i can get going smoothly at like the 1500 rpm mark, but there are always few times that piss me off, as i have always picked up stick very fast and easily. i know the clutch pedal on the ms6 is a little weird, as has been stated on like 100 threads.

my question is. on normal driving, what rpm do you normally launch( get going at not a drag racing) launch at? do you guys bring it up to 2000 rpm or are you at the 1500 rpm mark? thankyou in advance for replies.

oh and by the way i did search for this, but couldnt find anything. maybe i was looking for the wrong words. if there was a thread on this and someone could provide a link please do so. thanks again

·
Registered
651 Posts
You should try to adjust it and then see what you think.
Click here

On page 3 is a pdf easily printable version.

Thanks to Super Car Tastes - Skoda Budget and MS686.

Edit: Also check out this thread Click here

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should try to adjust it and then see what you think.
Click here

On page 3 is a pdf easily printable version.

Thanks to Super Car Tastes - Skoda Budget and MS686.

Edit: Also check out this thread Click here
[/b]

thanks.. i had seen and read that adjustment link, but my thought process is that that clutch spring will eventually wear in and lose a bit of its tension. either way ill get used to the pedal, im already starting to get used ot the clutch pedal. i think its the gas pedal sensitivity thats playing with my mind.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Try the Clutch adjustment....you like it, trust me. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Try the Clutch adjustment....you like it, trust me. :D
[/b]
+1

Have not heard of one person that regreted doing it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1

Have not heard of one person that regreted doing it.
[/b]
i was driving around all night and ill be flat out. i think im used ot he clutch pedal already. its just working on the gas pedal sensitivity. im way to used to throttle cables

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hey.....i was used to mine for 2 months and i thought I should just leave it alone. But I wanted to try it out and see how much of a differance it made by adj. the clutch pedal. I was pleasently surprise on how it felt by just turning the stop bolt 2.5 x's. It was simple and easy to do. U won't regret it!!! :drive:

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
you guys aren't answering his question >_<

·
Registered
305 Posts
you guys aren't answering his question >_<
[/b]
Either are you :sarc:

Here's my 2 - cents:
After the clutch adjustment, I usually launch between 1500 and 2000. The reason I say AFTER is that you should find the adjustment helps you launch smoother and at a lower RPM - at least it did in my case. Prior to the adjustment, I was up around 2K or more - I think I was reving that high due to the cam feel of the clutch and it's release point.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Either are you :sarc:

Here's my 2 - cents:
After the clutch adjustment, I usually launch between 1500 and 2000. The reason I say AFTER is that you should find the adjustment helps you launch smoother and at a lower RPM - at least it did in my case. Prior to the adjustment, I was up around 2K or more - I think I was reving that high due to the cam feel of the clutch and it's release point.
[/b]
yeah. im pretty much launching at the normal range in our cars. 1000-1800 i would say on the usually 8/10 times. i just seemed alittle high to me. i will see about doing the adjustment though. maybe ill have my master tech do the job so if something happens i can just warranty a clutch. :), yes i work at mazda, im a service writer

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'll add my experiences:

I"ve been driving manual trannnies for 30yrs. In relaxed driving I can feather the clutch and throttle to get most cars moving with about 1200 - 1500rpm, depending on the torque curve of the engine.

With the Speed6, before the clutch adjustment, it was quite difficult to do consistent launches. I tried to drive it the way I did with all my other cars, but found the fear of stalling the car made me subconsciously apply more throttle than usual. When I really concentrated on it, I could do a gentle launch with about 1500rpm, but the non-linear feel of the clutch right at the engagement point made every take off a gamble. Starting on a steep hill was especially bad, and 7 times out of 10 result in the engine reving to 3000rpm as I the car started to move, because I had difficulting feeling the engagement point of the clutch.

This was condition was further aggravated by a wooden feeling throttle. I find the throttle feels sort of like the power steering in vintage '60s and '70s American cars. It doesn't feel like there is a direct connection between the throttle and the engine (which there isn't of course, since it's a drive by wire system). With the old power steering systems you turned the steering wheel and then reacted when the car turned a certain amount; there was no feel to how much the wheels were turning AS you turned the steering wheel. The throttle on the MS6 feels the same. Press the throttle and then see how much the revs go up, re-adjust as necessary. This isn't a big issue once the car is moving, but it certainly makes launching the car more difficult.

Aggressive launches were another story altogether. I felt like a rank beginner. I'd either bog the car or use too much throttle and the engine would rev like crazy as the clutch slipped. Shifting aggresively usually resulted in jerks and surges.

After the readjustment the car is much easier to drive. The wooden throttle is still there (I'm hoping Mazda can fix this at some point - maybe a combo slightly stiffer return spring and less tampering of the voltage signal by the ECU), but I can consistently launch from about 1500rpm (have to use a bit more throttle because there isn't a lot of torque down low in this engine compared to my V6 Probe), I'm not intimidated by hills anymore, and I can shift aggressively without jerks and surges (well much less frequently anyways). Clutch takeup and shifting is still not as fluid as in my Probe V6, but it's something I can live with, while the way it came was becoming unbearable.

Hope this helps.

PS: the adjustment takes 15-20 minutes at most (most do it in 10mins). It's a small investment of your time. At least give it a try; you can always change it back if you're not sure or don't like it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey guys. ive had my speed6 for 4 days now. im slowly getting used ot the clutch. i've driven manual for years now, but evey car i ever owned was a clutch cable setup and the throttle was cable also. i seem to be having a bit of difficulty picking up the new setup. im doing alright, but alot of the time i seem to give it too little gas and the car bogs to like 500 rpm, or i give it too much and the car revs to 2000-2500 rpm. its really kinda annoying. for the most part i can get going smoothly at like the 1500 rpm mark, but there are always few times that piss me off, as i have always picked up stick very fast and easily. i know the clutch pedal on the ms6 is a little weird, as has been stated on like 100 threads.

my question is. on normal driving, what rpm do you normally launch( get going at not a drag racing) launch at? do you guys bring it up to 2000 rpm or are you at the 1500 rpm mark? thankyou in advance for replies.

oh and by the way i did search for this, but couldnt find anything. maybe i was looking for the wrong words. if there was a thread on this and someone could provide a link please do so. thanks again
[/b]
Hello leakslikeasieve,

yeh I think you and I are in the same boat. I've never felt that the clutch was a problem. This might be because the MS6 was pretty much my first manual so I never had time to get used to anything else. I find that I can find the catch point and control the clutch quite well.

My problem, like yours I think, is to do with gas control. 1500 is the right RPM to aim for when taking off, but I struggle to apply the right amount of gas to get it to 1500. Often I do too much and go 2500-3000 or too little and come close to stalling. I think its just the electronics/software that interprets the gas pedal. Its very sensitive to how fast the pedal moves, not just how far down it goes. So when I press is down gradually to get to 1500, it doesn't do much at all, and then sometimes I must panic, and press harder, and wooshka, 2500-3000.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I really don't know what you guys are whining about the clutch for, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it in stock adjustment. Ya,.... granted the first day of driving it I said it was a strange clutch, but after a day or two it's just another standard transmissioned vehicle, with a somewhat different clutch.

I know this sounds like a beginners driving lesson on a stick, but this is what I do and you can't even feel the shifts, if that's how I chose to drive, at that particular time.

I keep my heel on the floor for stability for the 1st gear takeoff and I release the clutch to where it starts to engage and I hold it in that position until I feel the tires have turned about two revolutions, then I gradually release it the rest of the way............smooth as silk. The rpm on takeoff, I'm not sure exactly, but I'd guess about 1200 or so, play with it and find your own best spot. I don't look at the tach for takeoff, unless it's on the strip. Now, I do exactly the same thing for the 2nd gear shift, release the clutch to the beginning of the engagement position, hold in that position for about half a second and easily release it the rest of the way.....by practicing this method, you can shift the car so smoothly you honestly cannot feel the shift. It's kind of a two stage release, floor to engagement position, pause and then full release. Then progress through the rest of the gears using the same procedure and there you go. As you get higher up in the gears it obviously less critical how smoothly you release the clutch. If I'm driving with no concern for the absolute smoothness, I usually blip the throttle between shifts.

I hope this helps anyone who is having difficulty. :)

Adjust your clutch if you think there's a need, but I'd suggest you try this first and you won't have to bother.

Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Exactly. KEEP YOUR HEEL ON THE FLOOR. It is way easier to modulate the clutch this way. You won't accidently have the car's movement jerk your foot back.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello leakslikeasieve,

yeh I think you and I are in the same boat. I've never felt that the clutch was a problem. This might be because the MS6 was pretty much my first manual so I never had time to get used to anything else. I find that I can find the catch point and control the clutch quite well.

My problem, like yours I think, is to do with gas control. 1500 is the right RPM to aim for when taking off, but I struggle to apply the right amount of gas to get it to 1500. Often I do too much and go 2500-3000 or too little and come close to stalling. I think its just the electronics/software that interprets the gas pedal. Its very sensitive to how fast the pedal moves, not just how far down it goes. So when I press is down gradually to get to 1500, it doesn't do much at all, and then sometimes I must panic, and press harder, and wooshka, 2500-3000.
[/b]

yeah we are in the same boat. i dont think my issue is the clutch at all, but trying to get used to the gas pedal senstivity. your absolutely right with the sensitivity to not on pressure movement but how fast you hit the pedal. i havent stalled in 2 days so im pretty happy. lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
yeah we are in the same boat. i dont think my issue is the clutch at all, but trying to get used to the gas pedal senstivity. your absolutely right with the sensitivity to not on pressure movement but how fast you hit the pedal. i havent stalled in 2 days so im pretty happy. lol
[/b]

leaks,

The operation of the clutch is much more significant than the gas. If you can modulate the clutch properly, you won't have any throttle issues. I didn't even know what rpm I was taking off at, because you don't need to know, if you can operate the clutch properly. Read my post, try the method and you will see how easy it is. If you have to look at the tach, your doing something wrong.

Ever watched a new driver learning on a standard, bucking the car up and down the street. That's because they don't know how to modulate the clutch and try to give it more gas than the engine can smoothly accept........there goes the bucking bronco again. If you are releasing the clutch properly you can pretty well take off with almost no increase in throttle at all, because it's a gradual application.

Try it, you'll like it. :)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
leaks,

The operation of the clutch is much more significant than the gas. If you can modulate the clutch properly, you won't have any throttle issues. I didn't even know what rpm I was taking off at, because you don't need to know, if you can operate the clutch properly. Read my post, try the method and you will see how easy it is. If you have to look at the tach, your doing something wrong.

Ever watched a new driver learning on a standard, bucking the car up and down the street. That's because they don't know how to modulate the clutch and try to give it more gas than the engine can smoothly accept........there goes the bucking bronco again. If you are releasing the clutch properly you can pretty well take off with almost no increase in throttle at all, because it's a gradual application.

Regards,

[/b]

yeah by no means do i have to watch the tach while starting. but i like to know whats going on. and i dont like over revving the car on start up. im not looking to wear the clutch faster then any normal operation would. certainly i dont start off smoothly every single time, but i do most of the time. my concern is starting off smoothly and not revving excessively high in the process. i can start off smoothly but be revving it to 3500 rpm and slip the clutch and have it be an amazingly smooth launch.. thats not what i want though. i want a nice smooth launch at 1300 rpm. lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
leaks,

Regards,

[/b]

*****Correction*****

"and try to give it more gas than the engine can smoothly accept........there goes the bucking bronco again."

Sorry that should have been ......"try to give it more gas than the drivetrain can smoothly accept........there goes that bucking bronco again."

Regards,

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
*****Correction*****

"and try to give it more gas than the engine can smoothly accept........there goes the bucking bronco again."

Sorry that should have been ......"try to give it more gas than the drivetrain can smoothly accept........there goes that bucking bronco again."

Regards,
[/b]

yeah i understood what you meant. i know exactly what you mean, its just getting used to a different setup. its getting better and better every day. i'd say another full week and ill have no issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really don't know what you guys are whining about the clutch for, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it in stock adjustment.
[/b]
mazda corporation disagrees with you, based on the different stock clutch adjustment in the 2007 speed6.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts