Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if you guys plan on combining mods to show performance gains with more then 1 mod. I am actually very curious to see what the exhaust/ downpipe/ intake combo does on the dyno (speed6). There are plenty of other combinations that you have, but you have such a GOOD gain on each of those individual mods I was curious to see what kind of gain is shown with all of them. Could you combine that into possibly a "stage 1" or something?

Thanks
MMARFAN

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was curious if you guys plan on combining mods to show performance gains with more then 1 mod. I am actually very curious to see what the exhaust/ downpipe/ intake combo does on the dyno (speed6). There are plenty of other combinations that you have, but you have such a GOOD gain on each of those individual mods I was curious to see what kind of gain is shown with all of them. Could you combine that into possibly a "stage 1" or something?

Thanks
MMARFAN
[/b]

We may do something like that in the future (maybe after SEMA), but right now we have to concentrate on developing our current products before we go back and play with some of our previous ones. We also don't have a dyno in-house, so we would have to spend a lot of time and money using some else's dyno to get any numbers.

Don't worry though, lot's of people have had such a request, and there's no short supply of people waiting to get their downpipes before they dyno their combinations. So, even though we won't be doing the dynoing, there will be people posting their results with a full turboback and intake soon.

Jordan

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
You guys put up dyno sheets for the mods by itself, like say for the V6 the MAFci adds 24 whp and the headers add 20 whp each by themselves. So if both were installed, would you guys expect the gains to be completely additive (total of 44 whp gain)? Or would installing them together negate some of the gains that they would have by themselves.

·
Registered
820 Posts
negate the gains.

that's why we need a vendor who can release mods in stages, then dyno the car with all of said mods installed. That way you can say "Stage 1" makes 30hp to the wheels or something.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
has anyone done this yet...
fairly certain this has been asked a great deal with very little response...

·
Registered
886 Posts
has anyone done this yet...
fairly certain this has been asked a great deal with very little response...
[/b]

I haven't seen any dyno data with multiple bolt-on mods yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't exist. You might try posting this question in one of the forums for more exposure.

Jordan

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Send me the products and I will be more than happy to get all the dyno data ya want. ;)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
..You might try posting this question in one of the forums for more exposure. ..
[/b]
figured it was in the best interest for cpe to provide this info imho...

·
Registered
886 Posts
figured it was in the best interest for cpe to provide this info imho...
[/b]

I'd love to post a sticky with this information since this keeps coming up. We're sincerely sorry we can't spend time dynoing combinations of our parts.

Don't get me wrong, we would LOVE to spend time testing different combinations of our products, but you must understand that we don't have a 4wd dyno here, NOR do we have a SPEED6 of our own! When we dyno our products, we typically have to schedule a time with someone to drop off their car, so they will be without their car for a few days. Then we need to spend time installing and removing various combinations of parts to try. Finally, we have to pay for dyno time by the hour just like anyone else. And if you've ever had your car dyno'd, you know a day's worth of dyno time is big money. And, we're constantly hustling to get our products out asap. Since we only have three full time employees, their time is best spent manufacturing products for everyone, not testing our products. It really isn't a 1-2-3 deal like some people may believe.

So, what we typically do is pay for dyno time to dyno each product on a stock car, and then let everyone else dyno the various combinations that can be thought up. We think this is fair considering the circumstances. I hope this makes sense to everyone.

Jordan

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
just offerin up a suggestion..
figured you may get more people that are on the fence to tip over..
yeah id gather itd take more time but might muster up additional business imho..
im assumin this is the same situation for intake headers combo for the 6s..

·
Registered
149 Posts
yeah id gather itd take more time but might muster up additional business imho..
[/b]
Of'course as shown earlier, some people still feel that by just adding up the individual gains of the different parts they arrive at a total. So for those it may have a negative effect seeing the total hp by various gains because the number would be lower than they imagined. Because of their wrong assumptions at the outset, they may feel it isn't worth the money with seemingly less hp per $. Not that its a reason not to do the dyno, just an observation.

·
Registered
886 Posts
[/b]

Of'course as shown earlier, some people still feel that by just adding up the individual gains of the different parts they arrive at a total. So for those it may have a negative effect seeing the total hp by various gains because the number would be lower than they imagined. Because of their wrong assumptions at the outset, they may feel it isn't worth the money with seemingly less hp per $. Not that its a reason not to do the dyno, just an observation.
[/b]
:yesnod:

Both are actually really good points. I would like to offer "upgrade packages" like what was suggested at some point, but we're not there yet. We may dyno something like, say, our downpipe with the tuning controller when it comes out, just to show its effectiveness. But beyond that, and we'd probably require our own 4wd dyno.

Just to turn the tables a little bit, we're a small company, so we don't have all the resources some larger companies have. Yet we still try very hard to validate our products with some empirical data. For instance, we're spending time today fitting temperatrure and pressure sensors to our upcoming front mount intercooler. This procedure may sound straightforward, but we've been machining and tapping custom bungs for all 8 sensors, welding them, and our electrical engineer is busy coming up with a datalogging solution so we can graph our data with respect to time. I can't think of a single company willing to take the time and effort to do stuff like this. We try very hard to be fair, and use our resources to the best of our ability.

Thanks for the constructive criticism by the way. By letting us know what you do and don't like about our business, we can do a better job at designing products that you guys actually want.

Jordan

·
Registered
149 Posts
At least you are doing the individual dynos. I still don't think magnaflow has a dyno sheet up for their MS6 cat back exhaust. If they do, it sure is hard for me to find.

·
Registered
886 Posts
At least you are doing the individual dynos. I still don't think magnaflow has a dyno sheet up for their MS6 cat back exhaust. If they do, it sure is hard for me to find.
[/b]

Exactly, great example right there. And believe me, if we had the resources and money that Magnaflow has... :drool:

Jordan

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
:yesnod:

I would like to offer "upgrade packages" like what was suggested at some point, but we're not there yet.
[/b]

that would be incredible, I'd love some sort of intake and headers package.

even if the packages don't happen, ill be picking up the intake for my 6s in the spring sometime, and maybe the headers sometime later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts