Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok the m6 come in a nice variety of colors but wheres the traditional colors like green or blue? i saw light blue at mazdas site but how about a dark blue? just wondering if i should just repaint the one that i get although im kinda worried about how it will come out

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
they still have lapis blue. The m6 never came in a darkgreen color, only a light green called sepang green.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The lapis is a purple blue color, but it has a more purplish hue most of the time. They don't have anything like a royal blue. If you paint the car, it will lose value because one would think the car had been in an accident.

·
Registered
210 Posts
ok the m6 come in a nice variety of colors but wheres the traditional colors like green or blue? i saw light blue at mazdas site but how about a dark blue? just wondering if i should just repaint the one that i get although im kinda worried about how it will come out
[/b]
Repainting the car instantly devalues it significantly, so much so that you really ought to consider getting a factory color that you can tolerate. Regardless of how good the paint shop is, nothing beats a factory paint job where inconsistencies, orange peel and overspray are non-existant. Factory finishes tend to last longer too. Not to mention the fact that without completely tearing the car apart, you're never going to get the entire car one consistent color. A good repaint, equaling the factory paint can easily cost $10K or more.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Repainting the car instantly devalues it significantly, so much so that you really ought to consider getting a factory color that you can tolerate. Regardless of how good the paint shop is, nothing beats a factory paint job where inconsistencies, orange peel and overspray are non-existant. Factory finishes tend to last longer too. Not to mention the fact that without completely tearing the car apart, you're never going to get the entire car one consistent color. A good repaint, equaling the factory paint can easily cost $10K or more.
[/b]
Not true, my friend had his 2002 Escalade repainted factory paint with extra gloss layers after they had stripped the original paint because it wasn't accumulating to the heat here very well....(Cadilac basically fucked him), but he had it all done for $7500. Obviously it was covered by warranty but the dealer said the people who did it said it was better than a factory paint job being the new paint they used....wierd but true....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not true, my friend had his 2002 Escalade repainted factory paint with extra gloss layers after they had stripped the original paint because it wasn't accumulating to the heat here very well....(Cadilac basically fucked him), but he had it all done for $7500. Obviously it was covered by warranty but the dealer said the people who did it said it was better than a factory paint job being the new paint they used....wierd but true....
[/b]
But I'm sure it was the same color, right?

And even still, if you were shopping used Escalades and there were two identical ones on the lot, except that one had been repainted (even by a dealer when new) - which would you choose?

sooo... can i ask mazda to create a dark blue paint? b/c im not really going "gah gah" over the ones they have available
[/b]
Sure, you can ask... but even if someone jumped up and down internally within Mazda, I'm sure it would be at least a of model year before you'd see it. Generally speaking product planners have these kinds of offerings planned out a year or two in advance.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
[/b]
Um... have you looked at a factory paint job lately?

"Inconsistencies, Orange Peel, and Overspray" are the name of the game in factory paint thesedays thanks to environmental regulations and the desire for a quicker-drying paint. Even $100,000 cars have all the above, especially orange peel. And today's water-based paints used in mass production just don't have the lifespan that paints used to have, and that outside shops are still allowed to use, and use in many more coats than the factory will resulting in a much longer-lasting, much more durable paint job.

The only way you're going to get a real quality paint job today is if you get it done yourself. That's not to say that it doesn't devalue the car, because it does. But not because it's a worse paint job (although if you take it to some place like Maaco it will be) but because it appears that you're trying to cover up previous damage. Any decent paint shop can easily surpass the quality of a factory paint job.

And you won't pay anywhere near $10,000 for a factory-like repaint. Factory paint jobs are not that good. You'll pay about $3000 for a factory-like job. A quality job will cost you closer to $5000.

·
Registered
199 Posts
you can't base your color choice off of what mazda shows on their website - the colors look like ass, especially the island blue. the lapis is actually not offered for the '07s (as far as I can tell - not on the website or in the book)....and the island blue looks like CRAP on the website and it does it NO justice.

island blue

Check that out for a pic of my car, which is the island blue. I am very partial to this color because it's not a color you see out on the road ever day. if you would like to see other pics, just let me know!!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
sooo... can i ask mazda to create a dark blue paint? b/c im not really going "gah gah" over the ones they have available
[/b]
You are looking at a coupl ethousand dollars to have the car sanded primed and painted whatever new color you want. This is not something Mazda will do themselves and just tack on to your loan amount lol. Whisfull thikning though.

Before I whent with the turbo kit I was originally goinf to have my car painted a burnt orange/copper. Figured What the hell. I like the Glacier Silver color so I'll keep it and go with something funner that costs about the same.

·
Registered
210 Posts

"Inconsistencies, Orange Peel, and Overspray" are the name of the game in factory paint thesedays thanks to environmental regulations and the desire for a quicker-drying paint. Even $100,000 cars have all the above, especially orange peel. And today's water-based paints used in mass production just don't have the lifespan that paints used to have, and that outside shops are still allowed to use, and use in many more coats than the factory will resulting in a much longer-lasting, much more durable paint job.

The only way you're going to get a real quality paint job today is if you get it done yourself. That's not to say that it doesn't devalue the car, because it does. But not because it's a worse paint job (although if you take it to some place like Maaco it will be) but because it appears that you're trying to cover up previous damage. Any decent paint shop can easily surpass the quality of a factory paint job.

And you won't pay anywhere near $10,000 for a factory-like repaint. Factory paint jobs are not that good. You'll pay about $3000 for a factory-like job. A quality job will cost you closer to $5000.
[/b]
Granted, many factory jobs aren't perfect - particularly on domestics. But I'll believe your claims of a $5000 paint job (in which the color is changed from one to another, I'm assuming based on this context) when I see it. In my experience anything painted in your average, run-of-the-mill body shop - even a good one, is pretty obvious, particularly with a change in color.

In my opinion, unless its stripped to bare metal, primed and painted by someone in a very good paint booth, it likely won't rival factory paint. And in my experience, those kinds of jobs run around $10K.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Why strip it to metal if the body is fine? If you keep a layer or 2 of paint under the new stuff, assuming you do it right, your just adding more protection to the car. And with everyone using car fax nowdays I wouldnt worry to much about people thinking your trying to screw them. And I would only worry about resale if your one of the odd balls who worries about it. It is a car, not a stock investment... Drive it into the ground, then get a new one. HEHEH

But yes it would be expensive to get a good paint job...

·
Registered
150 Posts
[/b]
Lapis blue IS dark blue. The little bit of purple in it comes out when a light is shined on it at night.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

[/b]
well i did work at a honda factory about 2 years ago so i do know a little about orange peel and overspray, i used to buff door handles and side mirrors for the 06 accord , the civic, pilot...etc

·
Registered
46 Posts
you can't base your color choice off of what mazda shows on their website - the colors look like ass, especially the island blue. the lapis is actually not offered for the '07s (as far as I can tell - not on the website or in the book)....and the island blue looks like CRAP on the website and it does it NO justice.

island blue

Check that out for a pic of my car, which is the island blue. I am very partial to this color because it's not a color you see out on the road ever day. if you would like to see other pics, just let me know!!
[/b]
Thanks for posting this picture, I was actually trying to stay away from Island Blue cause it looks dumb on the mazda site and no dealers near me have cars in that color, so I've only seen the Lapis Blue in real life. Now that I've seen that picture I think Island Blue can go back on my "acceptable colors" list. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for posting this picture, I was actually trying to stay away from Island Blue cause it looks dumb on the mazda site and no dealers near me have cars in that color, so I've only seen the Lapis Blue in real life. Now that I've seen that picture I think Island Blue can go back on my "acceptable colors" list. :)
[/b]
No problem!! If you would like a few more pics, just let me know! I love my car more and more because it's such a different color, but not obnoxious or ugly. I wish they would change it on the website because it looks absolutely horrible and probably turns off a lot of people....but then again, it keeps me as one of the few owners, so I get to be super unique!!! I've only seen one other person in my area with an Island Blue and I love the stares and comments that I get on my car - I haven't heard anything negative yet! Here's a shot from the side....

Another shot

·
Registered
14 Posts
... I love my car more and more because it's such a different color, but not obnoxious or ugly. I wish they would change it on the website because it looks absolutely horrible and probably turns off a lot of people....but then again, it keeps me as one of the few owners, so I get to be super unique!!! ...

Another shot
[/b]
this was my reaction too. The Mazda web site picture makes it look milky. I searched all over about a 100mi radius to find my Bright Island Blue 5-door (Mazda's web site is really good about listing all dealers inventory FYI). They seem to be a small percent of the total production, yet it looks very nice ... its even a metallic color you'll see when you get close to it.
I like the look of the darker blues too, but the B.I.B. has an advantage (to me) of being more visible in low light conditions.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i'm glad you posted a pic where there is a clear side marker on the island blue as i've debated that mod for a few weeks, now i know i'll do it :D. yeah the bright island blue is the hardest to find color as mazda only makes 400 a year(so i was told). which means that since they've only made them in 05' and 06' and now 07'(don't believe they made them in 04' and i know they didn't in 03') there are a total of 1200 made in that color. i know of 2 other BIB 6's and they are the two on this forum lol. My car is getting some work done soon though so it'll be more unique :D.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i'm glad you posted a pic where there is a clear side marker on the island blue as i've debated that mod for a few weeks, now i know i'll do it :D. yeah the bright island blue is the hardest to find color as mazda only makes 400 a year(so i was told). which means that since they've only made them in 05' and 06' and now 07'(don't believe they made them in 04' and i know they didn't in 03') there are a total of 1200 made in that color. i know of 2 other BIB 6's and they are the two on this forum lol. My car is getting some work done soon though so it'll be more unique :D.
[/b]
I'm glad you like the clears - I love them and I think it cleans up the car. Actually, as far as years for the island blue, '06 is the first year for this color and Mazda kept it for '07. My dealer only got two of them in (an i and an s) - I took the i and the s was being driven by some corporate guy or something and I've only actually seen one other one on the road. My mods so far are the clear sides, my shark fin (when it comes) and tint sometime soon. Since I'm leasing, there's not a whole lot more I can do to it, but that's ok because it keeps me from spending money :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts