Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my month old 6 back to the dealer because of some white spots that were sporadic all over the paint its onyx black, and they are telling me they are gonna color sand it also known as wetsanding! What should I do? Should I allow this? fight with the dealer to rework my contract because of this nonsense?

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I first bought my onyx black Mazda 6i Sport in June, I had the same problem regarding the front bumper within the first couple of weeks or so. The white spots have actually decreased over time, probably from washing (or I just got used to them), and my car shines like new every time I get it washed. I'll update my own paint situation when I get a closer look in the daytime. I don't know how out-of-hand your situation is, but mine was solely in the front bumper area and I haven't been taking notice to any spots recently. I'm sure they are there, but not so obvious anymore due to washing it a few times.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first bought my onyx black Mazda 6i Sport in June, I had the same problem regarding the front bumper within the first couple of weeks or so. The white spots have actually decreased over time, probably from washing (or I just got used to them), and my car shines like new every time I get it washed. I'll update my own paint situation when I get a closer look in the daytime. I don't know how out-of-hand your situation is, but mine was solely in the front bumper area and I haven't been taking notice to any spots recently. I'm sure they are there, but not so obvious anymore due to washing it a few times.
[/b]

Well I didnt count cuz there were so many, But I have at least 3 on my front bumer, then maybe another 4 or 5 on the hood.... and a few more all around the car and spoiler. If it would just be on the bumper I wouldnt have thought of fighting with the dealer. But when I saw them all over I was like, gotta take it in. They had it detailed a week after I purchased it and it did nothing for the spots. Now I am driving around a rental mazda 3 while my 6 sits in their body shop, hopefully i get it on Friday they said.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I had small white specks on my car around the back left corner, had them detail it (was when I purchased it) and most of them came off. The spots can be removed with your fingernail (or not if you have hundreds of them, heh). To me it just looks like wax residue that wasn't taken off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had small white specks on my car around the back left corner, had them detail it (was when I purchased it) and most of them came off. The spots can be removed with your fingernail (or not if you have hundreds of them, heh). To me it just looks like wax residue that wasn't taken off.
[/b]

Thats what I thought at first so I washed it and tried to, but when in sunlight you can see the defect was clearly within the paint. It was in the clearcoat, or well it IS in the clearcoat.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
sounds like they're doing the right thing by sanding it down to get it off. and you won't be able to rework your contract because of that....it's not like the vehicle is mechanically broken. its cosmetic. so just accept the new paint job.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Wet sanding would be the best way to fix the paint short of redoing it all. As long as its a good shop there should be no worries.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dont worry, wetsanding is not goin to hurt your car a bit. I do paint work for a living. If they do it correctly the paint will shine even better.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured they couldnt rework it, but maybe some sort of compensation, I havent even made my first payment and I already am deprived of my 6 for 3 days. That hurts. I would have been really upset if it would have needed to be repainted. Luckily its not as bad. Thanks for everyone that has responded!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
believe me im not, which is why i wanted ideas of how to approach the Mazda Manager, you buy a 25 K car, and before you make your first payment its in the body shop getting wet sanded because of flaws with the clear coat?

That is some bs to me! :nono:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wish they would wetsand my car!!! This car has the worst orange peel ive seen from a manufacturer, maybe its just mine though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
LOL you can wet sand your own car... If your car has orage peel somethign is wrong. BTW any time you wet sand, or use rubbing or polishing compound, you are taking paint off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL you can wet sand your own car... If your car has orage peel somethign is wrong. BTW any time you wet sand, or use rubbing or polishing compound, you are taking paint off.
[/b]

EXACTLY! And now this is on a car that is only a few weeks old!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
wetsanding is fine if anything they are just getting rid of some of the orange peel for you. it wont hurt the car at all.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
They will wet sand your car and not put clear coat back on. All they are doing is taking out the clear coat problems. And sure wetsanding is fine, but your still losing paint.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep.... that is so true.... so how would everyone feel if you were me? and what would you do / say to the Mazda sales manager ? IF anything.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
IF, (and a big IF) they don't put clear coat, have the manager make them put clear coat. i personally have never heard of wetsanding and not putting enough clear coat to offset the clear coat they just sanded off. if they didnt put clear coat back on, you would have a dull spot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts