Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but every time it gets cold here in Denver I get a CEL. What in the world is going on? Anyone else experience this at all? Any idea on what it might be?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but every time it gets cold here in Denver I get a CEL. What in the world is going on? Anyone else experience this at all? Any idea on what it might be?
[/b]
I recommend that you bring your car to a Mazda dealer and get the CEL checked out.

I recently had a CEL that was apparently cold weather related. Turned out the code was the swirl shatter valve sticking. The dealer performed a TSB to adjust the positioning of the actuator that activates the valve.

Your car may have the same issue. Fortunately it is simple to fix, and the only effect of the problem is reduced emissions performance when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
778 Posts
What is the swirl shatter valve? I just noticed on the drive in today that my car has some kind of rattle noise when the fan is on (turned to floor). Hard to hear but I can hear it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
What is the swirl shatter valve? I just noticed on the drive in today that my car has some kind of rattle noise when the fan is on (turned to floor). Hard to hear but I can hear it.
[/b]
The swirl shatter valve is used to change the intake air flow when the engine is cold to improve emission performance. You can find more information at Mazda6Tech

As for the noise you experienced from the heater, I think my car has the same problem. I decribe it as a "fluttering" noise that comes and goes at different times. The noise can be very noticable sometimes, even at highway speeds with the radio playing. I can never seem to reproduce the problem when I'm at the dealership, so I haven't been able to get anything done about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get something similar, but mine is not a CEL. Instead mine is the DSC light staying on in cold weather. It continues to stay on until the car is driven for a bit, turn off and the started again. That will take care of it most of the time, but over the weekend it stayed on the entire day only to disappear the next day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts