Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new, 1600 mile, MS6 dies when you start it. It hits fast idle for about 5-10 seconds then dies. It does that about 3-4 times before it keeps running. Today it bucked and coughed at low rpm in second gear when cold and would not accelerate until I shifted back to 1st.

I am in Minneapolis all week, it seems to be worse as the temps go into the teens or colder.

I searched around and did not find mention of this. Has this happened to others and what is the fix?

Not sure if this is relevant, but this car does not show any evidence of a reflash, 5/06 build.

Thanks for any input. I stuck a can of iso-heet in just in case, it will be in the single digits in the AM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm up in Ottawa (canada) and it's been in the teens for the past few days and the car has been running fine...nothing abnormal. I also have roughly the same miles as you..

·
Registered
826 Posts
Same miles in Michigan. Weathers not in the single digits, but its cold. No problems I just let it sit outside for about 3 minutes while it warms up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe try using one of those engine block heater things. I keep my car in the garage at night so I haven't had that problem yet. Talk to your dealer and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I never have any problem like that. My car started fine even when it was -25C outside last week. It took may be half a second more to crank.

I don't think you can get block heater from Mazda for the speed6, not yet at least.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
i live in Minneapolis as well, i haven't had any problems with starting, but my idle is almost 3k when its is below 0. My poor speed6 sits outside because my stealth tt is afraid of snow :D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I live in Minneapolis and I park my car outside. Starts up like a champ in the morning. You should take that in for warranty work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Minneapolis as well, (So many MS6 owners here, that's awesome) I don't have any issue starting it, maybe a little longer crank time, but normal for real cold conditions like today. I do however notice I have to give it a little more on the throttle to get a smooth launch. Same for a smooth reverse. Mine sits outside as well. :( It does seem to be a little more rough shifting, and accelerating when it's cold but gets better as you get going and get up to operating temp. I also just got a steady CEL, according to the dealer/service dept. I need to have some impc valve replaced. (not sure if that is the exact part or not, but it's a part of the turbo which senses air/fuel mixture) This apparently is happening for a lot of other speed6 owners around the nation. Started happening as soon as it turned cold. The only other issue is my hand brake sticks when it's wet outside, makes a pretty loud clunk in the rear when I have to force it to disengage. Outside of these minor issues I still love the car. Does anyone know if people in MN have a Mazda meet at all?? I'd be up for attending one of these maybe get some tips and ideas.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I had the same problem with my Supra years ago, and it turned out to be an item called an Internal Air Compressor, if im not mistaken. Whenever it was cold, the car would crank up, stay at a few thousand RPM's for a few seconds and then turn off.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm in the St. Paul area and haven't had a problem starting at all. Shifting isn't quite right though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I never have any problem like that. My car started fine even when it was -25C outside last week. It took may be half a second more to crank.

I don't think you can get block heater from Mazda for the speed6, not yet at least.
[/b]
There is no block heater available but Mazda does install a pan heater for you if you don't have it already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me 2 times lately. I get all of what you are saying, plus my check engine light will come on for the night and be gone in the morning. If I let it warm up for 5-10 min, I dont have any problems at all. I am chalking this up to the cold.

joe

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's at least 2k normally for me. I did notice it a bit lower a couple days ago, but it didn't cause any problems. I don't know if it makes a difference, but my car hasn't be flashed since it was built - 10/05

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
When I start mine it idles at 2k and then quickly drops to about 1.5k in the first 10-20 seconds. Yesterday I was waiting for 4 mins and it was still above 1k after work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me 2 times lately. I get all of what you are saying, plus my check engine light will come on for the night and be gone in the morning. If I let it warm up for 5-10 min, I dont have any problems at all. I am chalking this up to the cold.

joe
[/b]
Why would the CEL come on just for the night? I'd be in having them check that. Could be that valve issue I have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new, 1600 mile, MS6 dies when you start it. It hits fast idle for about 5-10 seconds then dies. It does that about 3-4 times before it keeps running. Today it bucked and coughed at low rpm in second gear when cold and would not accelerate until I shifted back to 1st.

I am in Minneapolis all week, it seems to be worse as the temps go into the teens or colder.

I searched around and did not find mention of this. Has this happened to others and what is the fix?

Not sure if this is relevant, but this car does not show any evidence of a reflash, 5/06 build.

Thanks for any input. I stuck a can of iso-heet in just in case, it will be in the single digits in the AM.
[/b]
I have had that happen to me twice in the last week. I live in Southeast Wisconsin and it has been in the single digits for a while. STarts and runs fine out of the heated garage, after work, it has died several times after sitting outside in cold temps. My CEL is on currently, I am sure it is related. I am going in to have it looked at over xmas break.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts