Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some cold start problems, usually temperature below 50 degrees.

1. When I turn the ignition to start, the car cranks for a few seconds instead of start up right away. At first I thought there was something wrong with the fuel pump, so I tried to put the key in run for a few seconds and hear the fuel pump working, then put on start. But the car still cranks for a few seconds instead of start up right away. I guess there is something wrong with the battery?

2. After I start up the car, I usually let it sit there for about 30 to 60 seconds before I start to drive. But after I start to drive, the rpm keep on bouncing between 500rpm to 1000rpm for a few seconds then back to normal. I have the PCM update back in June, 2005, not the MSP10 one. Will the MSP10 solve the problem? I didn't get the update because I'm out of warranty (65000 miles).

Please post your thoughts and solutions. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Problem 1 sounds pretty normal.

Mine does that. But only when it is cold. If it's not cold, It starts up no problem. But the few mornings it has been 15 below. It takes a bit longer cranking before it starts.

Problem 2 Sounds like it might be a throttle body problem.

I beleive there is a bulletin for this listed, NOt sure if they still cover TSB's after warrenty is up or not. So you might be able to get that taken care of.. Or you could buy an optimized Throttle Body off 2wheelin for like $245 I think...

Otherwise you can get one factory from Sabrina. Not sure of the price. Thinking like $178 or so. I could be wrong though. Still not TO expensive. Fairly easy to change out. Make sure the car is cold though lol.

If you are modding and so forth. I would suggest just spending the extra on the Optimized TB though. If you have to repair. go for performance upgrade for a little more instead.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem 1 sounds pretty normal.

Mine does that. But only when it is cold. If it's not cold, It starts up no problem. But the few mornings it has been 15 below. It takes a bit longer cranking before it starts.

Problem 2 Sounds like it might be a throttle body problem.
I beleive there is a bulletin for this listed, NOt sure if they still cover TSB's after warrenty is up or not. So you might be able to get that taken care of.. Or you could buy an optimized Throttle Body off 2wheelin for like $245 I think...

Otherwise you can get one factory from Sabrina. Not sure of the price. Thinking like $178 or so. I could be wrong though. Still not TO expensive. Fairly easy to change out. Make sure the car is cold though lol.

If you are modding and so forth. I would suggest just spending the extra on the Optimized TB though. If you have to repair. go for performance upgrade for a little more instead.
[/b]

I think the throttle body you described is for the V6 engines not my I4. The V6 engine has a TSB for the throttle body. I think mine is probably the PCM software problem or some kind of vacuum leak.

Thanks for the feedback though.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Just dno't rule out the throttle Body. There have been more then a few members with the exact same symptons and it turned out to be the TB.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The bouncing idle sounds like an air leak in the intake somewhere inward of the MAF. Could be the accordian, the PCV hose or the TB mounting.

If your plugs/wires have a lot of miles on them they wont start as well in the extreme cold. Your car is cranking over fine so the battery and starter are obviously OK. A little tap on the gas may be helpful on a very cold start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts