Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
I saw the pic's of what it my look like I think you should make a new pipe for the intake was well!! I only say that due to the fact that It will be more show like then the factory black one ! Think more people whould get one if you did have a new pipe for the short ram! I am sure all the other company's will have a new pipe and most people will go for that and you could be the frist if you know what i mean!!
Sorry if I am a pain in the ass but, I would buy one that way and not just a filter!
Sorry Sean

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'cold air pic's'

Sean,

Replacing the factory accordian tube would be purely for looks..... You arent going to see any performance gains by replacing it, only price gains. To keep cost down on this Stage I intake, we kept the accordian tube on the vehicle. Our stage II intake will remove the accordian tube and will be the true cold air intake with the filter located outside of the engine bay.

Nikolas

·
Registered
577 Posts

So far we have only had the opportunity to work on a V6 model... The I4 looks easier to make the Cold Air Intake from the beginning because the accordian tube does not have a kink in it near the throttle body. If we had a 4 cylinder owner contact us who lives in SoCal, then we would be able to begin production of our cold air intake on that model. We would need it for at least a week, if not two in order to do fit tests, engineering, dyno tests, and drivability tests... but the owner gets a $250 intake for free....

Nikolas

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: cold air pic's

Nikolas, I wanted to get an update on your thoughts fir the V6 CAI. I had someone give me a quote on a custom CAI for my car, which would involve a short ram in a box configuration, rather than a tube into the bumper. The reason I'm asking is that I'm a little concerned about flooding in Houston, and I'm not sure I want a intake so close to the ground. Is your current plan to add some kinda heat shield to the ram air you've already created?

·
Registered
577 Posts

Is your current plan to add some kinda heat shield to the ram air you've already created?[/b]
We will be doing this for our short ram intake, once we can get the test vehicle back in to the shop.....

For our Cold Air Intake, we will be looking at placing the filter outside of the engine bay, which does raise the risk of water entering the engine........

I do not know when the owner of the V6 test car will be able to leave his car with us again or for how long he will be able to leave it with us next time.

Nikolas

·
Registered
464 Posts

I thought on most CAI systems you can get a bypass valve that when any water is detected it shuts down the tube or rerouts it. Unless I am wrong.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Neil,

The only company that has a by pass valve like that is AEM. They supply this valve in most if not all of their true CAI setups that place the filter low to the ground. I think they have a patent on their design.

Nikolas

·
Registered
229 Posts

Nikolas,

In the V6 model, There is a matter of an actuator valve that opens and closes a flap on the stock airbox that is operated by vacumm and electronic sensor. When you fabricated the new intake, did you take that electronic valve into consideration? What became of it and what was done to do away with it completely?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

How much of a performance gain would the CAI give the 6s 5-Speed?

Horespower?
Torque? etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts