Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Cold Air Intake'

Intake Timing Resistor

All vehicles have an Electronic Control Unit (ECU) a computer chip that electronically manages and monitors your car's performance. That means that your car could go faster and get more power if you replace the ECU. This part will modify your stock ECU with a Timing Advance Resistor. Once the resistor is installed, the ECU will read that the air coming in through the intake is cold air. This is quoted from the "ad". Has anyone tried this chip?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Cold Air Intake

yah its about 10 at a hard ware store and gives u about 5-7 hp

·
Registered
94 Posts

I called k&n filters and they said that they only have the drop in repacement filter 33-2278. He said it should give a 2-3% increase in HP. I might just wait for the cold air intake w/ the K%N

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

AEM and Injen said late may / early june, so being conservative, I'd say end of june we'll have them

·
Registered
455 Posts

I emailed intake_mods.com about their's and haven't heard back. Has anyone actually used these mods and do they work? The ad boasts up to 20hp more but if it's only really 3-5hp more is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Bantha

I emailed intake_mods.com about their's and haven't heard back.  Has anyone actually used these mods and do they work?  The ad boasts up to 20hp more but if it's only really 3-5hp more is it worth it?[/b]
it depends, if you go to AEM and Injen's websites, you'll see a variety of cars, both I-4 and V6 and in some the gains are marginal 5WHP, some are large 12-15WHP. Most V6's seem to respond well to CAI's, we'll just have to wait and see. It also works well in combination with other breather mods

·
Registered
793 Posts

What exactly is the "ad" that u guys are refering to?

·
Registered
38 Posts

The thing these companies don't tell you is that the gains come from headers, intake and exhaust put together. Each individually only gets you about 2-5 HP!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by texas6

The thing these companies don't tell you is that the gains come from headers, intake and exhaust put together.  Each individually only gets you about 2-5 HP![/b]
I disagree. It really depends on the car. Look at the Acura RSX, it gets like 13-15 WHP with just a CAI, and nothing else. The new V6 Accord gets about the same amount, again with just the intake. Some cars don't respond as well, its really a case by case basis. But all else being equal, the larger the engine, the larger the gains (usually) from a CAI.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Newer cars are coming w/ more less restrictive intakes, so aftermarket intakes aren't helping as much as they used to.

Intakes are more for noise then performance. I'm not saying they son't help w/ HP they do, but not w/ the newer cars.

I didn't know they help that much w/ the RSX?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo

The thing these companies don't tell you is that the gains come from headers, intake and exhaust put together.  Each individually only gets you about 2-5 HP![/b]
I disagree. It really depends on the car. Look at the Acura RSX, it gets like 13-15 WHP with just a CAI, and nothing else. The new V6 Accord gets about the same amount, again with just the intake. Some cars don't respond as well, its really a case by case basis. But all else being equal, the larger the engine, the larger the gains (usually) from a CAI.[/b][/quote]

CAI gains seem somewhat deceiving. I don't think you're getting any additional power, but rather getting back power you eventually start to lose when the air gets too hot under the hood. The less restrictive intake in a CAI is what gives you an increase in base hp. I imagine the cold air box simply prevents you from losing power as the engine gets hotter. Technically, if you start your car and pull away, at that moment you have just as much hp whether you have a CAI or not. Am I correct?

·
Registered
269 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

Originally posted by Brillo

I disagree. It really depends on the car. Look at the Acura RSX, it gets like 13-15 WHP with just a CAI, and nothing else. The new V6 Accord gets about the same amount, again with just the intake. Some cars don't respond as well, its really a case by case basis. But all else being equal, the larger the engine, the larger the gains (usually) from a CAI.[/b][/quote]

CAI gains seem somewhat deceiving. I don't think you're getting any additional power, but rather getting back power you eventually start to lose when the air gets too hot under the hood. The less restrictive intake in a CAI is what gives you an increase in base hp. I imagine the cold air box simply prevents you from losing power as the engine gets hotter. Technically, if you start your car and pull away, at that moment you have just as much hp whether you have a CAI or not. Am I correct?

[/b][/quote]

I would agree. CAI's are not making the air colder. You can't get lower than the ambient temp outside the engine bay. They suck in air that is "colder" than the air inside the engine bay which has been heated by the engine.

Having said that, they do make a significant difference in power vs. a stock intake that is breathing in hot air. Take for instance my sportbike which has a Ram Air intake. There is a HUGE difference in power between 50 degrees and 80 degrees outside air temp... and the difference between 35 and 80 makes it feel like a different bike. I dont' remember the exact number, but there is a coralation between HP and decreasing intake air temp. Maybe someone here knows?

Jon

·
Registered
13 Posts

1HP for every 10 degrees. Add 10 degrees ambient temp, lose 1hp. Lower ambient temp 10 degrees increase 1hp.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Originally posted by JRoseGB007

1HP for every 10 degrees. Add 10 degrees ambient temp, lose 1hp. Lower ambient temp 10 degrees increase 1hp.[/b]

It is most certainly not a linear function. That "rule of thumb" might work for a certain range, but that is a gross over-generalization that is not accurate.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Cold Air Intake'

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but im not really that much of a car guy (funny seeming as how i work for an automotive company) why dont cars come (especially "sporty" cars) with a cold air intake already?

·
Registered
683 Posts

yeah...but on sporty cars... you usually expect them to be a little louder...and most get crappy gas milage LOL

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

actually, the CAI's can help increase you gas mileage. Think about it... Your engine breaths in nice cool, dense air, giving more O2 to the engine for combustion. This creates bigger combustions, putting out more HP. While cruising in the car, the engine has to do less work to put out the same power to get keep the car going. And viola! You have better gas mileage :)

Oh, and Fuzzbear, you're thinking of sports cars getting crappy mileage, not sporty cars.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts