Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was browsing some forums for other cars and it seems Warm air intake is pretty popular as well.
WTF?
It does not make sense, i thought cold was best (density and all).
Why would you want to put a warm air intake?

It looked like depending if you have a manual or automatic, that's where you would choose one over the other.
Anyone care to explain?

Thank you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Reading Topic: Cold air intake VS Warm air intake

I can't explain too much but, I do know that while a warm air intake is not as good as a true cai, it is usually cheaper and works better than just the stock intake. So, it is an upgrade just not as good as a cai. As far as the transmission thing I have no idea.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Since a warm air intake is usually shorter, there is less resistance from the long pipe required to reach into the fender. Air has weight, and thus it takes more effort to suck air in through such a long pipe. The lack of resistance has its benefits, but rarely are they to the level of a true CAI, particularly a well-made one.

·
Registered
75 Posts

BS. Warm air is never better then cold air. Your stock intake most likely pulls from outside the car, it's just more restrictive than some of the CAI's out there. But, warm air is never better. The stock intake can't possibly be so restrictive that sucking in 170+ degree air will help you. That's ricers telling you that. The only cars you should see with a conical filter under the hood are turbocharged and intercooled cars. Because with them it doesnt matter the temp of the air coming in because it's going through a red hot turbo and into an intercooler anyway.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Cold

Amen to that, Tbird.

BTW, check out RICECOP for a good laugh. And if I ever see a 6 turn up there, I am going to personally flog the offender. ;)

·
Registered
383 Posts

Tbird has a good point. With the horsepower war currently being waged, mfgs. aren't going to be leaving "easy" hp off the table by putting in a restrictive intake. While you MIGHT be able to gain a few hp w/aftermarket intake, it's not going to be significant enough to affect your top speed (which is already limited) or your time-to-speed.

You're also going to have to put the oem version back on each time you take it in for service so they can't claim a wty violation. Seems like a lot of work/money for little benefit.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Cold air intake VS Warm air intake'

Originally posted by pgmr

Tbird has a good point.  With the horsepower war currently being waged, mfgs. aren't going to be leaving "easy" hp off the table by putting in a restrictive intake.  While you MIGHT be able to gain a few hp w/aftermarket intake, it's not going to be significant enough to affect your top speed (which is already limited) or your time-to-speed.

You're also going to have to put the oem version back on each time you take it in for service so they can't claim a wty violation.  Seems like a lot of work/money for little benefit.[/b]
It kinda depends on the car, look what a CAI did for the RSX on www.vtec.net

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by TbirdJayC

The only cars you should see with a conical filter under the hood are turbocharged and intercooled cars.  Because with them it doesnt matter the temp of the air coming in because it's going through a red hot turbo and into an intercooler anyway.[/b]
That's not true at all. There are CAI's for turbo applications as well. The turbo contributes heat to the air via work, not heat transfer, and the intercooler depends on ambient temperature and incoming temperature to determine the temperature of the air going into the engine. Thus the initial temperature of the air coming in has an impact on the final temperature intake temp. It's just more complicated than an N/A setup.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Does anybody have any times/dyno/g-tech #'s yet to see if the airbox mods, or cai's even help? I'd think about an intake if it was an actual improvement, but the airbox just didnt look horribly restrictive (at least compared to thestock box on my previous vehicle)

·
Registered
75 Posts

In addition to the work being done on the air, the turbo housing itself and piping that the air goes through when entering and exiting it are also very hot. I've seen under the hood of a lot of Supra TT's and none of the ones ive seen had CAI. They all simply had conicals attached directly to the turbo. When i ask them why, they say there is no point in A) paying for a CAI kit, and B) finding space for yet another pipe contraption. I guess every little bit helps though, and when your dealing with low output turbo motors (170-200hp) it could make a difference. With the MSP which has a puny intercooler that essential does nothing, i would certainly reccomend CAI.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by TbirdJayC

In addition to the work being done on the air, the turbo housing itself and piping that the air goes through when entering and exiting it are also very hot.  I've seen under the hood of a lot of Supra TT's and none of the ones ive seen had CAI.  They all simply had conicals attached directly to the turbo.  When i ask them why, they say there is no point in A) paying for a CAI kit, and B) finding space for yet another pipe contraption.  I guess every little bit helps though, and when your dealing with low output turbo motors (170-200hp) it could make a difference.  With the MSP which has a puny intercooler that essential does nothing, i would certainly reccomend CAI.[/b]
That would be my take as well. When you're dealing with so much power, it doesn't matter. Alot of the Supra guys running cone filters directly under the hood are more than likely making in excess of 475hp (at the crank). I don't think there's much to get out of a CAI once you're in the hp stratosphere. The factory box for the Supra was sort of a CAI in that it had a duct from inside the bumper and over the radiator that led to the filter box. I had a K&N drop-in. There is an aftermarket CAI for the Supra.

I still don't think the turbo housing itself contributes too much to heating the air. If you consider the velocity of the air through the turbo, and the short resident time for heat transfer, it's really the increase in pressure (or compression) of the air that contributes the majority of the thermal energy. That in turn heats the tubing downstream from the turbos. The turbo housing is heated by both the air, and the friction caused by spinning in excess of 100K rpms.

Size matters with intercoolers and it goes both ways. The Supra had a small intercooler in the left side of the front bumper. Running stock boost, most people saw a decrease in power from upgrading to a large intercooler in the middle of the front bumper. Why? Because the greater volume of the larger intercooler caused a larger pressure drop. Thus, it's uncommon for Supra owners in particular to upgrade their intercooler unless they're running at higher boost or with a larger single turbo. The MPS may be subject to the same issues.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13
I still don't think the turbos contribute too much to heating the air.  [/b]
At wide open throttle and full boost the hot compressed air coming from a turbocharger is probably between 250 and 350 deg F depending on the particular turbo. Compressing air creates heat, the more you compress it the hotter it gets.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

Originally posted by kyler13
I still don't think the turbos contribute too much to heating the air.  [/b]
At wide open throttle and full boost the hot compressed air coming from a turbocharger is probably between 250 and 350 deg F depending on the particular turbo. Compressing air creates heat, the more you compress it the hotter it gets.[/b][/quote]

Well, I was speaking in physical terms, not thermodynamic terms. I will correct my post. Point is, passing air through a hot turbo does not raise the temperature, compressing it does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts