Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2005 6 that I got a few years ago that already had been modified (aem cai, tanabe medallion exhaust) and it's been running great since I've had it. Now I don't know much about cars to begin with but slowly trying to learn as I go.

The issue I have is, my car has been throwing CEL codes (P2189, P2187, P2179). I HAVE searched these codes on these forums and Google but haven't been able to determine the exact cause of this, but I have an idea of what it might be. The hose that connects to the air intake pipe is worn and cracked, as I've read is what typically happens over time. BUT, over the winter, that same hose came loose from the pipe and was just hanging there causing my car to stall out and all that good stuff. However, that problem NEVER gave me a check engine light.

What I need to know, since the car was modified before I bought it and my lack of knowledge of anything, is if that hose connected to the pipe comes with that AEM CAI or if it that's a stock part. And possibly a part number for it since I obviously need to replace it. I tried looking up the part number printed on the intake itself, but somehow get NOTHING on Google.

Appreciate the help as always. Sorry for the long read but wanted to give as much info as possible.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
That is a stock part. It is called the accordion hose, and is known to crack and break. A simple solution is two pieces of silicone intake clamps and a piece of exhaust pipe a few inches long. A 45 degree intake coupler would be best for the first bend at the throttle body. 2.75" is the size that you want to keep the car happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the responses. I'm going to look into those parts.

2 more questions:

1) I also wanted to check out the mass air flow sensor to see if it needs to be cleaned, which I can guarantee it needs to be because I haven't touched it since I got the car. Would any of you know where the MAF sensor might be for this intake? I can't seem to find it at all.

2) If I get those silicone intake pipes and do that replacement, the thing that's connected to the beginning of the accordion hose, what is that and how and where would I fit that into the silicone piping?

Thanks again guys. And sorry for the noobness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's odd, a $200+ intake kit making you reuse the accordion hose. Looks like that kit shoved your MAF sensor either nearest the filter which isn't all bad keeping it from the turbulence your throttle body produces when the valve closes (causes MAF misreads) but bad placement in my opinion for the exact reason of wanting to clean it. Peek down around the sub frame near your filter location
The metal component connected to the accordion hose is your throttle body. The silicone piping would slip over the inlet of it and you can use a simple 3" hose clamp to tighten it down. I know some of these guys are picky about what they buy for their 6's but I have a $65 injen based CAI from amazon and it works great for me. All chrome, the MAF sensor is in a near stock position, you lose the accordion hose and replaces it with the proper silicone tubing needed to adapt it to the TB. To each it's own but that aem intake looks like it would cause more issues than solve. Just a personal thought, I mean no offense at all. Hope this helps you out though man.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Fischer
No offense taken at all. I've had the car for about 5 years now and has had no real mechanical issues, especially with the intake.

With my second question, I was referring to the black cable that looks like it's going into the hose at the beginning of it.

But your response does raise yet another question. The inlet for the throttle body, is that a 2.75" opening or 3"? I ask because the link that HovA provided is a thread of all the parts needed for the replacement, and he uses a 3" 45 degree pipe clamped to the TB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Remembering back when I replaced mine, as my CAI relocated that a bit providing a new silicone line to adapt, that's your vacuum line. The stock TB requires 2.75" to clamp to the body itself, they just upped it to 3" after that for flow reasons I'm sure. I do apologize if my answers are not fulfilling, I'm trying to remember off the top of my head as I reply, I upgraded my TB to the 3.7L optimized TB which is by far larger than the stock one (stock being 60mm, optimized 3.7 being 75mm). Their route is by far the better way to go, they know what their talking about, 2.75" to 3" and the other 45 connecting to your aem pipe would be 3" to 3" I believe, as they rerouted the vacuum line to the adapter connecting the two 45's in between from what it looks like. That setup is different from mine as I have the one single chrome pipe that has all necessary nipples welded into it. Have I answered your questions? I'm not a pro with mechanics my specialty is fabrication/welding but I like to help out if I can as much as possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Fischer
My apologies. Your answers are fulfilling. It was actually @ctmazda 's response that got me confused when he said 2.75" keeps the car happy. I was wondering if the 2.75" end attaches to the TB or the intake pipe. But I guess I could just measure them both to see what I need.

Now it's just a question of what that other hose attached to the accordion hose is, and how I would attach that to the silicone piping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lot of people bought Ebay CAI for 45$ and hooked them up to the stock accordian hose. Poor mans CAI basically. Getst he job done but not the best or prettiest way of doing things.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You're in luck - if you're still trying to figure out the accordion thingy. I just replaced this yesterday so I can tell you what you need to do.

2006 6S 3.0L
DORMAN Part # 696613 {#AJB413221A}
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...451&cc=1432712

The part was exactly the same as OEM. To remove the old hose air breather (white tube), look at the bottom of the green tab in your pic. You need to pinch that out a bit so that the tube can come out. When you get the new accordion part, you'll see the expanded ring that needs to be pulled out while the tab is moved slightly. To insert the new tube, do the same.

At least your metal clamps aren't rusted out like mine. I can't find replacements for those so had to settle with 3" hose clamps.

Picture

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
what is the plastic hose connected at CAI called?

Can anyone advise what is the plastic hose connected at CAI called.
Does that hose have to be plastic? - Broke it when replacing the Throttle body.

@Fischer
My apologies. Your answers are fulfilling. It was actually @ctmazda 's response that got me confused when he said 2.75" keeps the car happy. I was wondering if the 2.75" end attaches to the TB or the intake pipe. But I guess I could just measure them both to see what I need.

Now it's just a question of what that other hose attached to the accordion hose is, and how I would attach that to the silicone piping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Shpakoojr
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing