Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching the forums for a while and I can't decide on which is a better option. I have found a coilover for the 3rd gen by REVEL and was wondering if anyone runs them as I want to know if they help to handling. The other setup I was going to run was Tanabe springs and Koni yellow struts. opinions?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have been watching the forums for a while and I can't decide on which is a better option. I have found a coilover for the 3rd gen by REVEL and was wondering if anyone runs them as I want to know if they help to handling. The other setup I was going to run was Tanabe springs and Koni yellow struts. opinions?
I'm lowering my 6 this month on Godspeed Mono SS Coilovers. Haven't heard of anyone else running them, but all my friends run their coilovers and track on them so I think they'll suffice.

484 Posts
The coilover route is risky - if you live in a rust-belt area which uses salt you'll probably run into issues. But if you do your research and come across a set you know is going to last you (they probably won't) then they are a fine choice as long as the shop which installs them really knows how to tune the damping, ride height, etc. properly.

Now, i'm hoping you're looking for optimal performance/longevity over ride height, in which case my recommendation (as I have mentioned several times on this forum) would be the tanabe springs along with Bilstein struts. If you live in an area with smooth roads, buy Bilstein B6 for the front and B4 for the rear. On bad roads you'll want B4 all around. Can't go wrong with quality Bilstein's.

highly recommend you upgrade sway bars while you're in there as well. All in all, the difference in ride quality as well as handling will be most profound.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coilover route is risky - if you live in a rust-belt area which uses salt you'll probably run into issues. But if you do your research and come across a set you know is going to last you (they probably won't) then they are a fine choice as long as the shop which installs them really knows how to tune the damping, ride height, etc. properly.

Now, i'm hoping you're looking for optimal performance/longevity over ride height, in which case my recommendation (as I have mentioned several times on this forum) would be the tanabe springs along with Bilstein struts. If you live in an area with smooth roads, buy Bilstein B6 for the front and B4 for the rear. On bad roads you'll want B4 all around. Can't go wrong with quality Bilstein's.

highly recommend you upgrade sway bars while you're in there as well. All in all, the difference in ride quality as well as handling will be most profound.
Do you have a reason for recommending the Bilsteins over the konis?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

484 Posts

I'd suggest looking up Bilstein VS Koni and doing some research on those BMW forums. You'll find tons of useful information there.

Try looking up Bilsten VS Koni on the internet, you will find BMW forum threads comparing the two. They are both popular.

Bilstein is more durable and seems to offer better dampening. Koni offers adjustability, Bilstein doesn't. People claim the simplicity of bilsteins with their one setting makes things better. Alot of it depends on the sort of spring you use. Tanabe isn't stiff and aggressive like corksport, so it will work much better with Bilstein/Koni or even stock dampers. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I think Bilstein will work better with this chassis.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Personally I would only recommend name-brand for suspension and brakes.

Whoever mentioned Godspeed might consider where their parts come from. They appear to be nothing more than a re-seller. Does their manufacturer hold any kind of quality certification like ISO 9001 or TS16949?

Bilstein, Koni, Tanabe - they are a "known quantity" and have been doing this for decades.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Personally I would only recommend name-brand for suspension and brakes.

Whoever mentioned Godspeed might consider where their parts come from. They appear to be nothing more than a re-seller. Does their manufacturer hold any kind of quality certification like ISO 9001 or TS16949?

Bilstein, Koni, Tanabe - they are a "known quantity" and have been doing this for decades.
Ive said the same thing about Corksport, they dont make shit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts