Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t seem to find coilovers for this car, it’s looking like the only option is buying lowering springs. Anyone have coilovers installed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
@MadStyle
Might I ask how you came to that conclusion? Serious question ;-)
Especially because the Megan's are one of the cheaper options. I'd say for example...Cusco would be much more reliable than Megan Racing. And...I've had good experiences with K-Sport...so very curious why you say they're the last resort. Nothing bad to say about BC Racing, who have come a long way.

By the way @Modzas6x Here's a link to a list of coilover options
https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspension-brakes/420857-zeffer-s-catalog-coilovers-air-ride.html

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@MadStyle
Especially because the Megan's are one of the cheaper options. I'd say for example...Cusco would be much more reliable than Megan Racing. And...I've had good experiences with K-Sport...so very curious why you say they're the last resort. Nothing bad to say about BC Racing, who have come a long way.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/suspension-brakes/420857-zeffer-s-catalog-coilovers-air-ride.html
Thanks I will definitely look into these options! You've been a great help, have you heard anything about godspeed coilovers as I see those are also an option?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No problem ;-) I like poking around for info on stuff like this and have tried loads of different suspension brands...though mainly for Nissan chassis.

I myself have no experience with Godspeed coils, though I've seen people get mixed results with them. Some needing to get new ones after 20k miles, some after 40k.
I would rather look at the more reputable companies like BC, Cusco, Tein, H&R etc... Although they don't really look cheap, but non of them do these days it seems...ghehe

·
Registered
732 Posts
@MadStyle

Megans are cheaper but tends to be more reliable than K-Sport, basing it off past experiences and people I meet in the car scene and just overall general info about them, build quaility are a hit or miss with them, not consistent. As with anything, ultimately it's my opinion but it is based on experience. K-sport works ok when the quality is there but more often there are issues with them compared to Megans.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Megans are cheaper but tends to be more reliable than K-Sport, basing it off past experiences and people I meet in the car scene and just overall general info about them, build quaility are a hit or miss with them, not consistent. As with anything, ultimately it's my opinion but it is based on experience. K-sport works ok when the quality is there but more often there are issues with them compared to Megans.
Ah right... I guess there's a point ;-) I have heard some QC issues in the past with K-sport indeed. Though never had any myself. I haven't tried their street or sport coils, but from there up the rest up to the Pro racing ones, bar the rally stuff. Worked great.
Megan on the other hand...tried one set, I think it was the RS ones. One of the bodies was cross threaded, got a new body...and then one popped a seal within 2 days. Never looked at the brand again...lol Maybe should have given them another chance.

·
Banned
886 Posts
coilovers are probably the biggest gimmick for the average joe, is just cool factor, 99% will never use them for track or racing, you'll always be better off with lowering springs and shocks

·
Registered
12 Posts
has anyone used the tein street advance coilovers?

they seem to be pretty good value. i have had a good experience with tein super streets on my mx5 track car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
coilovers are probably the biggest gimmick for the average joe, is just cool factor, 99% will never use them for track or racing, you'll always be better off with lowering springs and shocks
You say people are better off with a shock/spring combination. But...that's the same thing as coilovers. So kind of a contradiction, right?
I know what you mean though. Most people will install them and never change height/pre-load/dampening. On the other hand...you'll never have the option to be precise with separate springs/shocks. Coilovers are easy in that case...set it...see if it works for you...no?...try until satisfied.
I know lots of people buy the most price friendly coilovers...which I think is not the way to go. If you go for coilovers, get good ones, because the cheap ones usually die quickly.

Saying coilovers are only for track use is wrong though...there are loads of brands that make sets specifically for street use.
@James Rogers
I have used the Super Streets and Street Flex...no idea of the Street Advance, but I bet they're ok coilovers, looking at the rest of the lineup and it's reputation. I'd say, get a step up if possible and get the Flex, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have used the Super Streets and Street Flex...no idea of the Street Advance, but I bet they're ok coilovers, looking at the rest of the lineup and it's reputation. I'd say, get a step up if possible and get the Flex, though.

Those seem to be the only ones that fit the gen 3 from what I can see from tein. I think if I go down that route i will try them. They seem really good value considering they are only a few dollars more that getting bilstein B8 fronts with B4 rears and tanabe springs.

·
Banned
886 Posts
You say people are better off with a shock/spring combination. But...that's the same thing as coilovers. So kind of a contradiction, right?
I know what you mean though. Most people will install them and never change height/pre-load/dampening. On the other hand...you'll never have the option to be precise with separate springs/shocks. Coilovers are easy in that case...set it...see if it works for you...no?...try until satisfied.
I know lots of people buy the most price friendly coilovers...which I think is not the way to go. If you go for coilovers, get good ones, because the cheap ones usually die quickly.

Saying coilovers are only for track use is wrong though...there are loads of brands that make sets specifically for street use.

@James Rogers
I obviously meant adjustable coilovers. People are always better with non adjustable coilover aka shocks/lowering spring setup.

You may want to read my thread on suspension lol

https://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda6-atenza/409754-big-lesson-suspension-springs-shocks.html

Many people get them for all the wrong reasons. Its the cool thing to do and it somehow puts you "above" the dude just using lowering springs, somehow, you're better, more money eh, a tunah? more classy, somehow a fella who does things right, supposedly. Coilovers are more expensive and it gives you a certain "status" in the car world for all the wrong reasons. Main reason why many want them. They're buying coolness factor.

LOL

We're driving a 140hp 4 banger lol you don't need coilovers and you have no business racing or being in the track with this car anyway

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I obviously meant adjustable coilovers. People are always better with non adjustable coilover aka shocks/lowering spring setup.

https://forum.mazda6club.com/mazda6-atenza/409754-big-lesson-suspension-springs-shocks.html

Many people get them for all the wrong reasons. Its the cool thing to do and it somehow puts you "above" the dude just using lowering springs, somehow, you're better, more money eh, a tunah? more classy, somehow a fella who does things right, supposedly. Coilovers are more expensive and it gives you a certain "status" in the car world for all the wrong reasons. Main reason why many want them. They're buying coolness factor.

LOL

We're driving a 140hp 4 banger lol you don't need coilovers and you have no business racing or being in the track with this car anyway

I'm not saying I disagree with your statement of not tracking this car, but with the above criteria mentioned, does that also mean the billion civics being tracked don't belong there either?

·
Banned
886 Posts
I'm not saying I disagree with your statement of not tracking this car, but with the above criteria mentioned, does that also mean the billion civics being tracked don't belong there either?
I don't want to spend $1000 and then $300 for swift springs just so i can adjust coilover to corksport height

Many people think they buy coilovers, then they're set for life, those shocks aint the greatest

·
Banned
886 Posts
Coilovers get really old in a daily driven car. At least good ones do. There is no need for them unless you are using your car for some sort of track driving. Coilovers, [despite what many people on this forum may say], are not meant for a daily driver, or even a casual enthusiast. They are for the track, and are adjustable for a reason.

You can set it however you please, there 1,000's of fine adjustments that can be made. Do you really need for street driving? IMO NO

Do your research and learn as much about the suspension and how it works before you go dumping all that money. Dont learn the hard way, you dont want to replace those parts in a few months because you tried to be cheap and got a shit ass ride with shitty handling.

With springs you'll need good shocks like Koni yellows and a possible camber kit depending how low you go.

Coilvers you will need a camber kit depending how low you plan to lower the car. Alignment after each ride height adjustment is recommended. Stay away from wanna-be coilovers. the sleeve springs are no good!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

LOL

Coilovers get really old in a daily driven car. At least good ones do. There is no need for them unless you are using your car for some sort of track driving. Coilovers, [despite what many people on this forum may say], are not meant for a daily driver, or even a casual enthusiast. They are for the track, and are adjustable for a reason.

You can set it however you please, there 1,000's of fine adjustments that can be made. Do you really need for street driving? IMO NO

Do your research and learn as much about the suspension and how it works before you go dumping all that money. Dont learn the hard way, you dont want to replace those parts in a few months because you tried to be cheap and got a shit ass ride with shitty handling.

With springs you'll need good shocks like Koni yellows and a possible camber kit depending how low you go.

Coilvers you will need a camber kit depending how low you plan to lower the car. Alignment after each ride height adjustment is recommended. Stay away from wanna-be coilovers. the sleeve springs are no good!

I realize they are not for most drivers and that's why I'm not jumping to get some. But I do enjoy driving my car hard and I know that quality coilovers would help significantly with that. The reason for this post is to avoid getting ones that will not last, but I do really appreciate the advice because it all is very sound.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree with you. As a matter of fact, I have used the Mazda 6 diesel in a racing event. If beginner's luck is true, then I got it. I was ahead by one second with a Miata the first time I did it.

To a certain point, I admit that I felt like an "anomaly" with all those cars around me back then. All cars are gasoline, small cars like Mazda 3, a few BMW, and others that are properly tuned while I'm the only diesel variant over there. However, I beg to disagree to say that our car doesn't belong to the track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Mazda6Suspension

I know what you're saying. You do have a point. Like I said before, lots of people buy cheap coilovers and after 6 months they say they're shitty ones. That's why I say get better ones.
On the other hand there's people who cut springs and stuff...:eek:
I really don't see your point about the 6 not belonging on track. What about touringcar and grand touring championships? A BMW 3 or 5 series, Volvo's and Ford's weren't made to be raced.
You say coilovers are not for daily drivers or enthusiasts. Who are you to decide that? Coilovers are freely available on the market for anyone who want's them.
You say coilovers aren't a lifetime thing...neither are shocks/springs.
Why are people better off with non-adjustable shocks?
Peoples reasoning to buy anything isn't really your business, right? That's like saying "You shouldn't buy that painting because you think it's pretty, you should buy that window because you can see through." Makes no sense, right.

I've just joined this forum, but I've seen that you seem very eager to tell anyone, who want's a better suspension setup, that coilovers are not the way, but to get shocks and springs...but you're so aggressive about it. Telling people they don't know anything and need to learn. I'm not saying you're totally wrong, you really have good points...don't get me wrong ;) I just think you're trying too much to tell people they are wrong and assume they don't know anything. That's why they're asking, right :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
9 Participants
EuRomer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing