Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
edit:
2008 Mazda6 2.3 engine, automatic 4 cylinder (trying to give as much info as possible)

photos: the first photo is what it should look look like, the second has a silver colored bolt. that one is just holding it in with the inner plastic.
on the first photo you can see plastic piece going up, and in the second the bolt had no plastic around it. that’s the piece that snapped on. the golden piece that had inner threading that a bolt could be screwed into was lost by someone helping me lmao. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE NICE COMMENTS.

yesterday it had the check engine light, and a code reader said that i needed to replace the coil pack, i put the bolt in, the check engine light came off and there’s a small knocking noise which i think is just debri which fell into the spark plug hole. i’m thinking a vacuum can clean that out right?
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Auto part Metal
Tire Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fixture

Hi. So, I can add photos tomorrow morning if anyone is actually interested in helping but

So there's the coil pack, the screw/bolt that tightens it onto the spark plug I still have. The piece that the bolt/screw SCREWS into, and the plastic around it has snapped off. I was simply unscrewing it, I had done it the same way I did all other three coil packs and it just snapped. This means that the screw cannot be screwed into the engine cover, as there is nothing to screw into. I have the metal thread itself I believe, but the plastic which holds the thread into the engine cover is broken.

Can I use a strong glue of some sort to glue it on? And if I don't have the thread that goes inside of the plastic engine cover, does anyone know what heli-coil to buy? Thank you! Only one is broken. The check engine light is now on. (There is also a small knocking noise in the car, which is either because the connection is bad or is because there is dirt or something that has fallen into the hole). I'm not a big car guy, but if you wanna bully me about this, I will totally accept. I def fucked up big time.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Welcome!

Don't worry about bullying, I am the resident bully guy here. So I will now bully you by saying, "You messed up!"

I myself is not a car guy so I understand. I messed up a lot times, some with immediate consequences, while others at a later time.

Posting a few pictures will surely help in identifying the specific part you are describing. And don't forget to post a few details about your car like, year, model, etc.

As to your immediate concern, I think it's better to look for a replacement. Putting a glue may work temporarily, or it might cause more trouble later if not replaced.

I'm not an expert so let's wait for the advice of other members.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
Hi. So, I can add photos tomorrow morning if anyone is actually interested in helping but

So there's the coil pack, the screw/bolt that tightens it onto the spark plug I still have. The piece that the bolt/screw SCREWS into, and the plastic around it has snapped off. I was simply unscrewing it, I had done it the same way I did all other three coil packs and it just snapped. This means that the screw cannot be screwed into the engine cover, as there is nothing to screw into. I have the metal thread itself I believe, but the plastic which holds the thread into the engine cover is broken.

Can I use a strong glue of some sort to glue it on? And if I don't have the thread that goes inside of the plastic engine cover, does anyone know what heli-coil to buy? Thank you! Only one is broken. The check engine light is now on. (There is also a small knocking noise in the car, which is either because the connection is bad or is because there is dirt or something that has fallen into the hole). I'm not a big car guy, but if you wanna bully me about this, I will totally accept. I def fucked up big time.
Those things happen. Plastic gets very brittle after time and the Mazdas are terrible in this respect.
I use a thick cyanoacrylate but any 2 part epoxy would work great. If you can put the piece back in place easily then it is just a matter of gluing it on. I have even used a regular super glue and then build up around it with epoxy. It doesn't need to hold a lot of torque but rather keep it from shaking off.
Worst case scenario a new valve cover is about $60
L3G3-10-210

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!

Don't worry about bullying, I am the resident bully guy here. So I will now bully you by saying, "You messed up!"

I myself is not a car guy so I understand. I messed up a lot times, some with immediate consequences, while others at a later time.

Posting a few pictures will surely help in identifying the specific part you are describing. And don't forget to post a few details about your car like, year, model, etc.

As to your immediate concern, I think it's better to look for a replacement. Putting a glue may work temporarily, or it might cause more trouble later if not replaced.

I'm not an expert so let's wait for the advice of other members.
i added new photos

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those things happen. Plastic gets very brittle after time and the Mazdas are terrible in this respect.
I use a thick cyanoacrylate but any 2 part epoxy would work great. If you can put the piece back in place easily then it is just a matter of gluing it on. I have even used a regular super glue and then build up around it with epoxy. It doesn't need to hold a lot of torque but rather keep it from shaking off.
Worst case scenario a new valve cover is about $60
L3G3-10-210
hi i literally did not know that i cohkd even replace the valve cover. my roommate said that it would be a whole engine piece(that’s her wording i didn’t know what she meant), and that it would very expensive. thank you, i’m gonna buy that piece in a week or two and replace it myself lmao

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
hi i literally did not know that i cohkd even replace the valve cover. my roommate said that it would be a whole engine piece(that’s her wording i didn’t know what she meant), and that it would very expensive. thank you, i’m gonna buy that piece in a week or two and replace it myself lmao
Great. I believe you are looking for L3G3-10-210E if you have the 2.3L (1st generation). Be gentle removing the plastic electrical connectors from the top and make sure you blow off all the dusty stuff before opening it. You don't want all that getting in the oil. Its a fairly easy job if you just take time for your first run. There are plenty of youtube videos that show how to do a valve cover as well.
This mechanic is always a straight shooter when it comes to basic auto repair. The only thing I do different is I always start bolts and nuts by hand, never with a wrench.

Here is the video link specific for your car.

You'll need the cover, gasket set, cleaner (I use isopropyl alcohol or acetone for gasket surface on engine), silicone RTV.
Have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great. I believe you are looking for L3G3-10-210E if you have the 2.3L (1st generation). Be gentle removing the plastic electrical connectors from the top and make sure you blow off all the dusty stuff before opening it. You don't want all that getting in the oil. Its a fairly easy job if you just take time for your first run. There are plenty of youtube videos that show how to do a valve cover as well.
This mechanic is always a straight shooter when it comes to basic auto repair. The only thing I do different is I always start bolts and nuts by hand, never with a wrench.

Here is the video link specific for your car.

You'll need the cover, gasket set, cleaner (I use isopropyl alcohol or acetone for gasket surface on engine), silicone RTV.
Have fun.
thank you! i was curious, what part do I need to clean? I watched the video and all they did was use a razor to get some grime up. I just don’t want mess anything up so what exactly am I cleaning? thank you!!

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,006 Posts
thank you! i was curious, what part do I need to clean? I watched the video and all they did was use a razor to get some grime up. I just don’t want mess anything up so what exactly am I cleaning? thank you!!
You're blowing all the dust and dirt off the top before you remove the cover. You pictures showed what looked like sawdust on the cover, that's all. Then you are scraping all the crusty dried oil bits and old silicone off the mating surface for the gasket, so it seals nicely, and does not seep oil. Giving the gasket mating surface a cleaning with solvent allows the new rubber gasket to make a nice tight smooth seal. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts