Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have talked about this a while ago, but do the mazdaspeed coil overs work on the MS6? Also, does anyone know if there are other companies making coil overs now or in the near future? My MS6 already moves like a Las Vegas stripper, but I want to drop it a lil bit. I figured I'd go all out and get something hot. Any suggestions?

Mazdaspeed coil over link: Mazdaspeed coil overs

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think they'd fit but unfortunetly the speed6 is much heavier than the regular 6 so these coilovers arent designed for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok I know this is an old topic but has anyone tried the mazdaspeed coil overs? Now someone go ahead and say it... they just "fit" the speed. But looking at the #'s from mazda web sites the Mazdaspeed 6 springs are 25% / 37% stiffer than the regular 6 and the mazdaspeed coil overs state a 50 - 60% increase over stock... wouldn't that mean they'd still be stiffer than the speed6 stockers? Let the debat begain... again :popcorn:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have spoken to Ksport and this is what they told me about their coilover system. They have assured me with confidence that the mazda6 coilover kit will work with the mazdaspeed 6 in all conditions. Track racing, weekend driving, daily driving. The spring rates were created to be extra stiff even for the mazda6. Because of this they told me the spring rates will work for the mazdaspeed 6. On top of that they also offer the whole ksport manufacturer warranty. I will be ordering these coilovers and testing them on all road surfaces and conditions. I will report back. BTW ksports full damper setup with 322 way adjustable shocks run on average$1000 and his includes pillowball upper mounts for the fronts. This is bout 400 less then tien and in my opnion i think ksports are a better all around coilover setup anyway.
oh and the spring rates are 11kg/mm in the front and 9kg/mm in the back. I don;t think thats half bad and it should be enough to handle the speed6

·
Registered
477 Posts
Its perfectly fine to use the regular 6 coilovers on the Speed is AS LONG AS they have spring rates you're happy with. Some people think that if, for example, brand XYZ coilovers are 50% for the 6, that they would be too soft for the MS6. Not true. Its all about personal preference. I personally want something that will lower my MS6 but have minimal increase in spring rates.

The Tein's would be an excellent choice IMO.

·
Registered
721 Posts
word on the street is that the k-sports and tein (basic or ss) shocks are not as good as the factory MS6 shocks (bilsteins i believe). They might be better than factory EG civic shocks and therefore a wise upgrade for them but please do not downgrade your MS6 suspension. Tein Flex or better should be better than stock which is unfortunately not available.

Save up for KW or HKS, or stay stock.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
sorry to bring this thread back but I wouldnt mind knowing a little more about available coilovers for my car. I do not see the problem with using regular 6 coilovers as long as the spring rates are not lower than stock. Also, wouldnt any coilover shocks be better since they are made for the higher spring rates (and thus would last long than our origional shocks being paired with springs with higher rates)? I am considering the ksport and tein basic system since they seem to have what I want at a very reasonable price, but I am still skeptical on how it will affect the dynamics of my car. Crossbow or anyone else that is vastly knowledgeable (sp) about suspension, input would be extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
sorry to bring this thread back but I wouldnt mind knowing a little more about available coilovers for my car. I do not see the problem with using regular 6 coilovers as long as the spring rates are not lower than stock. Also, wouldnt any coilover shocks be better since they are made for the higher spring rates (and thus would last long than our origional shocks being paired with springs with higher rates)? I am considering the ksport and tein basic system since they seem to have what I want at a very reasonable price, but I am still skeptical on how it will affect the dynamics of my car. Crossbow or anyone else that is vastly knowledgeable (sp) about suspension, input would be extremely appreciated.
[/b]
I too don't see any problem with using coilovers that have a larger spring rate... and if you are going for the ultimate handling Mazdaspeed6, look no further than the AutoEXE coilover setup, even though some will argue that understeer will get worse...

"What is really nuts is the front spring rates. 16k springs = 900 lb front springs and 6k = 336 lb rear springs."....

With those kinda front rates the car is going to have great handling, and I "think" that with a larger rear sway bar (i.e. 30mm or larger) the car would be very balanced...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Well, yes, I would like a higher spring rate but thats not exactly what i meant. I was saying as long as I use regular mazda 6 coilovers (not speed6) that have higher (but not sky high like autoexe) spring rates than the stock ms6 springs then would that still help handling. All I want is to get a coilover setup for around $1000, which is not available yet for the ms6, so I am trying to decide if i should just go with mazda 6 coilovers instead.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i'm asuming you've driven a car w/ coilovers? you're ride is going to be 10x less luxurious. stick with a modest drop and a relative increase in spring rate.

i run ksports right now i'm my specV. it hurts daily. and if they're front biased springs, check the ratio from the front to therear. the compare to stock.

SURE stock isn't linear springs, but it will effect your handling significantly. the m6 is front heavy so the linear springs need more in the front, the ms6 has a better weight distribution so it should be fitted w/ different spring rates. you can add a rear sway but that makes your ride even worse. rsb's are designed to limit body roll while minimizing the effect on the ride. my rsb + ksports make my ride horrible. YOu will feel every divit in the road, every bump, every expansion joint, no matter what road you're on.

just letting you all know.

i'm moving away from the spec b/c i want a good handling car + a decent ride, i'm done w/ this gokart suspension that lets me take cloverleafs at 90 mph but after every ride makes me rub my ass like someone just took my bum cherry.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
i'm asuming you've driven a car w/ coilovers? you're ride is going to be 10x less luxurious. stick with a modest drop and a relative increase in spring rate.

i run ksports right now i'm my specV. it hurts daily. and if they're front biased springs, check the ratio from the front to therear. the compare to stock.

SURE stock isn't linear springs, but it will effect your handling significantly. the m6 is front heavy so the linear springs need more in the front, the ms6 has a better weight distribution so it should be fitted w/ different spring rates. you can add a rear sway but that makes your ride even worse. rsb's are designed to limit body roll while minimizing the effect on the ride. my rsb + ksports make my ride horrible. YOu will feel every divit in the road, every bump, every expansion joint, no matter what road you're on.

just letting you all know.

i'm moving away from the spec b/c i want a good handling car + a decent ride, i'm done w/ this gokart suspension that lets me take cloverleafs at 90 mph but after every ride makes me rub my ass like someone just took my bum cherry.
[/b]
I hear ya on that one...

Thats why before I make a spring decision I have talked to multiple owners of the same springs ensuring ride quality is still decent...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
Stretch
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing