Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my experience and potential fix in case you ever come across code p2187.

About two weeks ago the CEL came on after pulling the code using AP, it showed P2187...car running too lean at idle (or something along those lines).

I tested for boost leak and it did in fact have a major one...I guess over time from taking the MAF and cleaning out, the o-ring pretty much got destroyed. Ordered a new one from Mazda $10 CAD, installed, tested for boost leak again and everything seemed tight.

Put everything back, took the car of a drive, felt more responsive, no CEL.

Next day driving to work, I got the CEL again..pulled the code and again it's P2187.

I'm like that's weird...went to get gas, filled up...got in my car and car had hardtime starting, eventually started, but the RPM kept bouncing for 10 seconds and then it settled down.

From my research, people did mention that the purge valve could be the issue...however I replaced mine in the last summer (aftermarket) but I kept my old one.

Some background as to why I replaced the purge valve last summer...i had a really severe case of the car shuddering upon acceleration ,poor gas mileage, etc.

I ended up cleaning my EGR, replace the upstream o2 sensor, clean my valves and replaced the purge value...the issue was fixed, but not idea what actually fixed the issue.

Back to my original problem...on Saturday i swapped the purge valve out...cleared the CEL and so far the CEL has not returned and I've driven about 200 km since then. I also took my gas cap off and I was able to start the car no problem.

The symptoms I had:
- fluctuating rpm when I drop it into neutral
- hard time starting after fill up
- p2187

TD, LR: check your MAF o-ring, change the Purge valve if you get p2187.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wanted to share my experience and potential fix in case you ever come across code p2187.

About two weeks ago the CEL came on after pulling the code using AP, it showed P2187...car running too lean at idle (or something along those lines).

I tested for boost leak and it did in fact have a major one...I guess over time from taking the MAF and cleaning out, the o-ring pretty much got destroyed. Ordered a new one from Mazda $10 CAD, installed, tested for boost leak again and everything seemed tight.

Put everything back, took the car of a drive, felt more responsive, no CEL.

Next day driving to work, I got the CEL again..pulled the code and again it's P2187.

I'm like that's weird...went to get gas, filled up...got in my car and car had hardtime starting, eventually started, but the RPM kept bouncing for 10 seconds and then it settled down.

From my research, people did mention that the purge valve could be the issue...however I replaced mine in the last summer (aftermarket) but I kept my old one.

Some background as to why I replaced the purge valve last summer...i had a really severe case of the car shuddering upon acceleration ,poor gas mileage, etc.

I ended up cleaning my EGR, replace the upstream o2 sensor, clean my valves and replaced the purge value...the issue was fixed, but not idea what actually fixed the issue.

Back to my original problem...on Saturday i swapped the purge valve out...cleared the CEL and so far the CEL has not returned and I've driven about 200 km since then. I also took my gas cap off and I was able to start the car no problem.

The symptoms I had:
  • fluctuating rpm when I drop it into neutral
  • hard time starting after fill up
  • p2187

TD, LR: check your MAF o-ring, change the Purge valve if you get p2187.
Maybe the O2 sensor was the problem? Y faced the same code P2187 system to lean at idle bank 1. But then I cleared the code and it didn't come again. Otherwise I feel my car acceleration a bit heavy...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts