Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont care if I get flamed for not searchin I'm just so pissed. Heres a brief synopsis of my first 5 months with ATX 6i 5spd.
The first 2000 miles I had the "lag" "overdrive" "temporary neutral buildup period" whatever the hell you wanna call it. To my surprise it slowly started to get better and better to the point where i knew what it would do at any rpm I shifted at and the neutral buildup period was pretty much gone. The lag at its worst shift point....3/4 throttle at 2800rpm caused about 700rpm lag before the next shift...again not that bad. (IM ONLY TALKING 1ST to 2ND) the rest of the gears shift timing is on point. My sweet gf's TL has a SLIGHT overdrive but with mines it obvious.

Now check this out. I disconnected the neg terminal, changed out my constantly dying 6-led whites in the parking lights, my damn gf is yelling over my ears, "why are you doing this, why are you doing that, your gonna fuck up the car!" then i said "i got all my info from the mazda6club so leave me alone. :swearin: this will be done correctly so take your TL and run it into the lake." when i still had the 6-led bulb in my hand, she slapped me for talking to her that way and took off. (hopefully into the lake, cause i haven't heard back from her). i had a smoke, had nuthin to do so i put chrome dome lights in the clear side markers.( they look fantastic now!) then i ripped out the POS trunk light, tapped in a few purple neons. and they ended up working great! (i'm almost over my ex at this point) my car seems to have a special power over me and convinced me things will be better off with just the two of us, which i concured to... well i moved on to the f*&k#@g vanity lights that burn out ALLLL the time, replaced those. no problems. i reconnected the negative terminal. and i hear no fuses blow! great this is actaully gonna have a sweet ending!
now that my sob story is over (sorry to those who read all that and dont GAF.)
back to tranny talk

I got in the car and started to drive and my LAG IS GOING CRAZY!!!! And i'm talking as soon as i drove off my driveway. I'm giving 1/2 throttle, click into 2nd @ 2800, i SEE the number 2 come up, then the engine says maybeeee well maybeeee NOT and after the normal 500-700 overdrive expires (thats when its SUPPOPSED to shift) it begins with the neutral roll up to 600-1000 rpms above where i was at... then the tranny says " ok good to go" and shifts. we're talking well over 1000 rpm delay in many different throttle and rpm variations. Ive already got the number 4 on the screen and my slow ass tranny is still huffin and puffin to get out of first. IT THAT NUTZ!!! i even notice in atx mode its doing is but without the slight jerk that the manu gives you. Its been three days and still SOS.
Now was it God giving me karma, the tranny needs a reflash or update of somekind. or should i just get my ex's head and beat the ecu until it triggers the tranny to work just way it was. . . .
need some help on this one.

P.S. I cant find a story where this situation happens 6 months AFTER it was bought. thats why a started this thread.

THANKS TO ALL MY MAZDA6CLUB MEMBERS! WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT YOU ALL!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't know any solutions for the car. I believe you cuz i've had the same problems. I have noticed that same thing when i don't warm the car up enough before getting on it a lil, i know you were only at 1/2 throttle but the experience was the same. :unsure:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know any solutions for the car. I believe you cuz i've had the same problems. I have noticed that same thing when i don't warm the car up enough before getting on it a lil, i know you were only at 1/2 throttle but the experience was the same. :unsure:
[/b]

well i'm at 7500 and the dealer wants to do his normal nothing maintenence work at 8k so i'm gonna ask about this msp10 update i've been readin about

·
Registered
456 Posts
im getting the same thing, i connected my amp power wire, and it seem slike the tranny is miss shifting like crazy almost as if the tuning was whiped from the comp and its just acting weird...damn these cars and retarted tuning!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ironically,today, the tranny went back to normal it seems. Its raining over here so I'm not gonna rip it till tomorrow when the roads dry up. The shifting is really the only thing about the car I'm disatisfied with but at least its improved so I don't have to go to the dealer (which is what I was gonna do on monday). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. It should go back to normal in a few days.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ironically,today, the tranny went back to normal it seems. Its raining over here so I'm not gonna rip it till tomorrow when the roads dry up. The shifting is really the only thing about the car I'm disatisfied with but at least its improved so I don't have to go to the dealer (which is what I was gonna do on monday). I'm glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. It should go back to normal in a few days.
[/b]

I just installed a ground wire kit to my 06 6i 5 door ATX. It has improved the hestitation in between shifts and is a cheap and easy install. Not to mention i wasnt convinced about any acceleration increase until i just drove it to work yesterday. It seemed like a completely different car yesterday.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
don't plan on any grounding things to help shift lag, if people think it does, that's great, but it doesn't. the line pressure and valvebodies are setup to be that way, and as stated it's more obvious for the 1-2 shift than anywhere else. even with upgraded valvebodies the 1-2 shift is still "long" and the others are super crisp. the tranny was setup that way, and the only thing that will "help" it is adjusting the line pressure in the ecu....which isn't gonna happen.

Now, as far as the problem showing up. everytime you unhook the battery it clears all the info that was stored in the ecu. our ecu's actually "learn" how we drive and adjust things accordingly. i believe it continues to do this for like 20+ drive cycles. so for a week or so you will always feel it shift different, maybe idle or coldstart a bit different as well. just give it some time and some mileage and you'll be right back where you were.

if you want get rid of as much lag as possible, a company called SCI (you can find em on mazda3forums) is testing out valvebodies on the 5speed right now, so them up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts