Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to get a new clutch. I want to get a clutch that is like one stage above stock, nothing to expensive because I'm not going to be racing, just something that can handle some full throttle abuse lol. I looked on ebay and found this Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, now is this basically one step above stock and what I'm looking for? btw, I have the 3.0L V6.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (Evan @ Dec 18 2008, 12:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1491816
It's time to get a new clutch. I want to get a clutch that is like one stage above stock, nothing to expensive because I'm not going to be racing, just something that can handle some full throttle abuse lol. I looked on ebay and found this Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, now is this basically one step above stock and what I'm looking for? btw, I have the 3.0L V6.

Thanks!!![/b]

Exedy's stage 1 clutch will be plenty if you stay NA. If you have designs on FI, however, stage 2 or 3 might be better. I just had my Exedy stage 1 clutch and a Fidanza Flywheel installed this week and absolutely love it. I paid $450 in labor to install both at a local transmission shop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (dfw6er @ Dec 18 2008, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1491992
Exedy's stage 1 clutch will be plenty if you stay NA. If you have designs on FI, however, stage 2 or 3 might be better. I just had my Exedy stage 1 clutch and a Fidanza Flywheel installed this week and absolutely love it. I paid $450 in labor to install both at a local transmission shop.[/b]

Niceeeeeee....do you think I should replace the flywheel too, or is it not necessary?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (Evan @ Dec 18 2008, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1492051
Niceeeeeee....do you think I should replace the flywheel too, or is it not necessary?[/b]

It's not necessary....the transmission shop can have the OEM flywheel machined so you have a perfectly perpendicular surface...but an aftermarket, lightened FW has some benefits of it's own in terms of performance. Exedy makes a light one and Fidanza makes a very light one. Both are considerably lighter than the OEM stock FW. It's really a matter of personal preferrance. Since I wanted more performance and since the clutch was needing to be replaced anyway, I elected to drop the extra $320 and get a lightened FW.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (dfw6er @ Dec 18 2008, 02:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1492057
It's not necessary....the transmission shop can have the OEM flywheel machined so you have a perfectly perpendicular surface...but an aftermarket, lightened FW has some benefits of it's own in terms of performance. Exedy makes a light one and Fidanza makes a very light one. Both are considerably lighter than the OEM stock FW. It's really a matter of personal preferrance. Since I wanted more performance and since the clutch was needing to be replaced anyway, I elected to drop the extra $320 and get a lightened FW.[/b]
Ya thats pretty much my story, I figure why not spend a little extra to upgrade from oem clutch to a little better. As far as FI goes, maybe in a year or so once I have a real job and I'm not in college haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Evan9999
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing