Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone started getting into some situation where the clutch isn't holding stock power any longer? I'm interested to know if some kind of lilfe span has been developed yet for the stock clutch. I am coming up on 9k miles on the car, and while that by no means is mileage where a clutch should go out, I don't want to have to worry about it later on. I want to give myself plenty of time to see who's going to make a clutch for the car. And maybe even suggest the idea to a few places, like Southbend, so i dont' have to worry about pedal pressure on setups like ACT.

I'm one of those guys who will upgrade this shit before adding power mod, so I can actually get the power to the wheels when I do get it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm at 24,000 miles and no slippage yet (knocking on wood). My Evo burnt through the OEM clutch in just less than 10,000 miles, so I am pleased with this one even if it goes out tomarrow. I'd really like to see some options come to the market though.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
most people will not need these upgrades for quite some time but having options out there would be nice

Let's say a lightweight aluminum flywheel with a few different levels of clutch disk/pressure plate choices.

ACT would be great

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have 27 k on mine and no issues Knock on wood!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
A clutch that experiences excessive Noob wear is on Average supposed to last over 36K miles. i think we are fine as far as how strong this clutch is...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Not with bigger turbos, we won't be for long.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, once a tuning package comes out and frees up some hp to the wheels I wonder how that stock clutch will work. If it's designed to hold "x" then that could be another reason for the power robbing rich tunes on the MS6 from the factory.

Anyone put their car though the motions with some constant 1/4 mile runs or even autu x? I'm worried that due to the production, only places like ACT and Mazdaspeed will come out with options for us. With the Mazdaspeed items, it will just be overpriced and re-badged items. With ACT it's heavy pedla pressure. I'm gonna have a local shop find out if Southbend is interested.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Southbend is already doing it. I have been a Southbend dealer for a couple years and I contacted Andy months ago and sent my clutch in to have him go over it, test plate loads, determine power holding limits, and come up with a friction material that fits the OEM disc and has the proper thickness. I have been running it for months and have been abbusing it pretty regularly. It is all good.

We have a complete pressure plate, disc, flywheel on its way from Japan to Andy right now to be looked at for consideration. He is going to look at making a flywheel that will allow us to toss the LUK self adjusting design in the trash, and go with a new pressure plate that will allow for a 200lb increase in plate load. The OEM plate load is at 2300 lbs. There are good candidates out there with 2500-2600 lb plate load spring packages. Until the assembly from Japan hits Andy, we are at a stand still. The OEM 2300 lb plate load with the correct friction material can live happily behind 500 FT/LB of TQ and allow for upto 7 seconds of slipping before the flywheel starts to melt. The option for a dual disc is also going to be considered, and if this were to become reality it would allow for much more slip with much less heat. The probability of a double disk is admitted as being a small chance. Even Andy is not holding his breath for that.

With minimal out of pocket expense, you can have your OEM disc restored to a condition that will FAR out perform the OEM disc. There are not any Speeds that I have read about yet that are past what we can make the OEM disc handle. With the upcoming turbo upgrades and hopefully the upcoming tuning devices....we may see 500+ FT/LB. So far I dont think its an issue!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
200 ftlbs is not that significant an increase, but with the proper frition material it could work well. I used a SBC clutch on my PGT and it held well, I over heated the hell out of it once and while engagement in 1st felt different if you dropped it into 2nd or 3rd it would still chrip the tires easily. WHY do people want a light weight flywheel?!?!? THis car already suffers form low end lack of torque....

·
Registered
595 Posts
THis car already suffers form low end lack of torque....[/b]

uhhh....compared to what? a diesel?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The additional 200lbs is not FT/LBS, it is lbs of plate load on the pressure plate. While an additional 200 lbs may not be the biggest gains in the world, it is a increase that the stock hydraulics can handle without the need for expensive upgrades and re-engineering of the system. The stock plate load can support 500 FT/LB of rotational TQ, and we are far from this on all of the speeds I have heard of. If a guy was pushing past 550 or even 600+ FT/LBs of TQ I am sure that the cost to do hydraulic upgrades will not bother him or her.....this person will be spending big money, and they are going to be used to paying bills for custom items.

As I said, the OEM pressure plate with 2300 lbs of plate load (spring force applied to the disc) with the proper friction material and a flat flywheel will hold 500+ FT/LBs of TQ. I can tell you this, so far we have the best solution I know of for a Speed6 clutch upgrade and at a cost that is easy as heck to swallow.....and so far I am the only person in the world running it. This tells me that most folks are not driving the cars hard enough to smoke the stock clutch, or the stock clutch material is doing such a fine job that no one is forced to take interest in an aftermarket solution. I know my stock one worked pretty well with what I have done (Water/Meth Injection, Electronic boost control, intake) and the upgrade to the Ferramic helped only on the hard 5,000 RPM launch where the car used to slip the clutch for the first 10 feet or so, now it will tear the tires apart and go like its an angry wife coming for your wallet!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
uhhh....compared to what? a diesel?[/b]
I should have specified, below 2,000 rpms, I have NEVER had a car that needed 2200 rpm to get moving consitently, I have drivne 100 HP cars, and 300 HP cars, by a rough count 10 different sticks in my life, and this is the ONLY car that needs that kind of revs to get moving consitently. The flywheel is just going to hurt that area of performance and it not going to encourage low RPM spooling in daily driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
BigBens6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing