Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty much a newbie on these forums so thanks in advance for helping out the new guy! I have a 08 6i and I am concerned with a vibration through the clutch pedal I am feeling. With the clutch pedal either partially or fully engaged and blipping the throttle I can feel vibrations in tune with the engines RPM through the pedal. Additionally, when shifting at a high rpm say 5500 or so I get a audible buzzing noise from the pedal as well as the vibration. I did post back in the newbie section about a month ago I goofed up and mis-shifted and caught 2nd from 5th instead of fourth around 70 causing a split second of minor over-rev. I did search the issue like crazy and the only feedback I saw is that clutch vibrations could be a sign of a bent rod or engine damage, which of course has me nerved up, but it has been at least 3,000 miles since the mis-shift incident and I haven't heard any loud knocks, CEL or even a dip in fuel economy. Could I have possibly damaged the clutch from this incident or is it a normal characteristic to any MT owners? Thanks so much in advance. - Eric

·
Registered
426 Posts
how long are you riding the clutch for?

Try a different clutch style, eg. shift faster but with rev-matching. I know that when i ride the clutch I too get a vibration but that is just the clutch engaging slowly, hence the vibration.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your feedback. My clutch on the 6i seems to have a really high catch point meaning only a slight tap of the pedal is needed more so than my previous manual vehicles (ugh a crappy Cobalt.) I went out and tried it today and your right I feel less of vibration when I just tap the clutch and shift. I was worried cause I did so much research vibrations that feedback through the clutch can sometimes mean a slightly bent engine rod on Mazdaspeed 3 forums and some on this forum as well with the 2.3 DISI motor, I was wondering if the same holds true for the regular 2.3L version. This of course had me worked up cause of a single mis-shift I had about a month ago. I'm glad to here someone else has some vibration under these conditions as well. Thanks again. - Eric

·
Registered
426 Posts
just make sure you shift quickly but drive the clutch to full length. What you are doing is considered "half clutching" and can wear out your syncros and gearbox over time. You need to perfect quicker shifting while still using a full clutch motion. A good way to practice is pretend you are racing from each light. But of course, do not hit high revs and always stick to the speed limit. This mindset will at least teach you to shift quickly and seamlessly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
ttshark
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing